• NC A&T - Sept. 4

#42560  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:55 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:11 pm
FU tweeted a video asking the question “Who will score the first TD”? A better question may be “Will we score a TD”? 😂😂😂😂

The last game out, NC A&T's defense gave up 44 points.
 #42561  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:07 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:16 pm
gofurman wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:09 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:57 am
AstroDin wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:49 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:19 am
Game Notes:

Two surprises to me on depth chart - Roberto starting over Abrams and Wyatt Hughes over Evan Jumper.

Lot of focus up front. It's a relatively new mix of guys. Let's see what they've got.
CCH has been praising Roberto since the beginning of pre-season practice. I assume Furman will rotate Roberto and Abrams liberally.

Concerning the Wynn and Martin matchup. Furman will play Anderson and Thomas. When you add Roberto and Abrams into the mix. The backfield is going to be a moving target in the running game and the passing game.

I expect we will see a heavy dose of Wynn, Roberto, Abrams, Anderson, and Thomas.

Furman's going to have to figure out creative ways to get the ball out quickly into space. The Aggies are an aggressive front seven, and we weren't exactly stellar making quick reads against pressure last spring.

I'd love to see some screens and efforts to quickly get the ball out into open space.
That’s an understatement. We were a loooooong. Way from stellar at quick passes or making reads or good OL work last spring
From what I saw in the scrimmage we’re still not good at it. The quick sideways pass behind the line of scrimmage if completed was caught off their shoetops,

We've got plays to back defenses off their pressure, we just have to execute.

As I scan back through these, though, I see a lot of successful plays where Sisson uses his legs. I'd love to see that as more of a focus of the offense. He's an excellent runner.
 #42567  by gman84
 Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:02 am
I love to watch Mike Tomlin press conferences...A reporter always asks a question comparing this upcoming season to last season and Tomlin abruptly answers, " I don't live in last year, I'm focused on the here and now." My hope is we don't see the team we all saw in the spring! Then we can forget the spring ever happened. :D
apaladin, DeepPurple, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #42568  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:17 am
gman84 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:02 am
I love to watch Mike Tomlin press conferences...A reporter always asks a question comparing this upcoming season to last season and Tomlin abruptly answers, " I don't live in last year, I'm focused on the here and now." My hope is we don't see the team we all saw in the spring! Then we can forget the spring ever happened. :D

I personally think we spend too much time highlighting the spring.

Clay Hendrix has been a coach for decades, and the offensive line looked rough for the first time in a weird year where the team struggled to practice together. To me, I'll go with the 30 year track record over the bizarre spring season where nearly every team in the country looked rough.
dornb, MNORM, DeepPurple and 1 others liked this
 #42571  by Furmanoid
 Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:39 am
Mistakes were made in the Spring. I just can’t buy into the idea of a general weirdness as the issue. But changes have been made either by design or by luck. I think the OL will be pretty good as a result. We’ll find out in a couple of days.
apaladin, DeepPurple, FU69 liked this
 #42587  by apaladin
 Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:25 pm
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
FU tweeted a video asking the question “Who will score the first TD”? A better question may be “Will we score a TD”? 😂😂😂😂

The last game out FU scored 7 against a 1-9 team. Advantage A&T. At least A&T was playing a decent team.
bj93, FU69 liked this
 #42589  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:59 pm
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:

The last game out FU scored 7 against a 1-9 team. Advantage A&T. At least A&T was playing a decent team.

You know it's been six years since Furman has played and not scored a touchdown, right?

The Aggies will have a good defense. I don't think their defense will be better than what we typically see in the Southern Conference. We do just fine scoring against those teams.
 #42591  by youwouldno
 Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:32 pm
The Jackal wrote:
You know it's been six years since Furman has played and not scored a touchdown, right?

The Aggies will have a good defense. I don't think their defense will be better than what we typically see in the Southern Conference. We do just fine scoring against those teams.

Maybe "did" would be more appropriate than "do." Last year, 5 of 7 SoCon teams held the Paladins under 20, which is a low bar in the current environment.

Obviously the Paladins are hoping to be much better on offense this year. We'll see soon enough.
 #42598  by Jasper
 Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:37 pm
There appears to be 2 schools of thought on how to evaluate this coming game and season. One wants to throw out the spring season as just another victim of the pandemic and the other sees this season as a return to FUs usual competitive level under normal circumstances. The fan in me wants to believe the later but the investor in me cannot “unsee” the spring disappointment. IF corrections are made and improvements occur, FU should be very good. If the play calling and preparation are what we witnessed in the spring and if the QB play and O line remain the same, then the only rational solution will be frequent visits to the Wicked Weed endzone oasis. I am personally investing in the Dins as soon as the line is released.
 #42599  by apaladin
 Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:49 pm
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Has FU ever gone 4 straight gamesx againt SoCon teams without scoring 20 points until this spring? Without looking it ip I would say no. I am hoping the Paladins have made a miraculous turnaround but like Jasper I can’t get those ugly spring images out of my head. In less thsn 48 hours we will have a good clue if that might be the case.
 #42601  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:14 pm
Jasper wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:37 pm
There appears to be 2 schools of thought on how to evaluate this coming game and season. One wants to throw out the spring season as just another victim of the pandemic and the other sees this season as a return to FUs usual competitive level under normal circumstances. The fan in me wants to believe the later but the investor in me cannot “unsee” the spring disappointment. IF corrections are made and improvements occur, FU should be very good. If the play calling and preparation are what we witnessed in the spring and if the QB play and O line remain the same, then the only rational solution will be frequent visits to the Wicked Weed endzone oasis. I am personally investing in the Dins as soon as the line is released.

I've watched SoCon football long enough that you can pretty much throw out whatever the team did last season.

I've said this multiple times: The spring season was neither nothing, nor was it everything.

Yeah, we went 3-4. We were 3 points from 4-2. Two SoCon losses typically will put you in the conversation with the league title most seasons.

I'm not stressed about it. Plenty on this forum would see a basket of negatives regardless of the spring results. We'll be fine. If we aren't, we'll get them next year.
 #42624  by apaladin
 Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:48 am
Weather just keeps getting better:
KICKOFF: Sunny 82 degrees, 41% humidity(unbelievable) and no chance of rain. Might want to bring a jacket. 😂😂
 #42628  by The Jackal
 Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:03 pm
apaladin wrote:
KICKOFF: Sunny 82 degrees, 41% humidity(unbelievable) and no chance of rain. Might want to bring a jacket. 😂😂

I noticed you took your show on the road and started to complaining to A&T's fans on their forum about your disappointment in their expected attendance at a game that hasn't happened.

I'll give you this. You're consistent.
FUBeAR, MNORM liked this
 #42629  by apaladin
 Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:10 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:03 pm
apaladin wrote:

I noticed you took your show on the road and started to complaining to A&T's fans on their forum about your disappointment in their expected attendance at a game that hasn't happened.

I'll give you this. You're consistent.
I wasn’t complaining at all. Was just saying it would be disappointing if they have “only” 2,000 when they were boasting about filling the visitors side. 2,000 is more than any SoCon team brings so A&T will bring more fans than anyone since App. St. and Ga. Southern which is great. Kudos to A&T.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.