• NC A&T - Sept. 4

#42498  by Thorny
 Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:26 pm
I am not worried about how big their wide receivers are, how big their qb is, or how talented their rb is. I have no doubt that Furman's defense will be able to handle anything they throw at us.

I am worried about whether Furman's offense can sustain drives and our O-line can make holes for Wynn to run through. We have good kids and if the Offensive coordinator can't come up with a move the ball I will be out of patience.
Last edited by Thorny on Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #42505  by Affirm
 Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:36 pm
Much hubris evident in this thread. If we win, I will consider it a delightful upset.
What I expect is that NC A&T will expose how bad we still are, even if we have improved since spring; and then on Friday September 10th, Duke will easily handle NC A&T.
Yes, I am pessimistic.
 #42515  by Furmanoid
 Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:22 am
I’m pretty sure we will win because they will be away after an incredibly long break and we are at home after an incredibly short break. They have an old but inexperienced and not very mobile QB who we should be able to get to before they establish any sort of rhythm. Their coach had a great first season with an inherited team. There was a drop off in his next season.

Our coach has had several months to remold his OL, and he’s supposed to be good at that. We have at least 3 options at QB so there is no reason for us to endure what we did in the Spring. If it starts out that way, the hook should come out early. And we can use the QB as a runner without fear. You just can’t be hesitant to run the QB at our level and win. Even Trevor Lawrence had to run if CU wanted to win. If we are who we say we are, this is a golden opportunity to get a big win over a highly regarded team in front of a big crowd right out of the gate. A good team will seize that opportunity. The Paladins will do that. Rah, Rah, Shish Koom Bah!
FU69 liked this
 #42517  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:47 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:22 am
I’m pretty sure we will win because they will be away after an incredibly long break and we are at home after an incredibly short break. They have an old but inexperienced and not very mobile QB who we should be able to get to before they establish any sort of rhythm. Their coach had a great first season with an inherited team. There was a drop off in his next season.

Our coach has had several months to remold his OL, and he’s supposed to be good at that. We have at least 3 options at QB so there is no reason for us to endure what we did in the Spring. If it starts out that way, the hook should come out early. And we can use the QB as a runner without fear. You just can’t be hesitant to run the QB at our level and win. Even Trevor Lawrence had to run if CU wanted to win. If we are who we say we are, this is a golden opportunity to get a big win over a highly regarded team in front of a big crowd right out of the gate. A good team will seize that opportunity. The Paladins will do that. Rah, Rah, Shish Koom Bah!

It'll be a good matchup.

From what I've seen of A&T, their defense reminds me bit of what the Citadel does defensively - try to outnumber you up front, confuse your blocking, and keep the pressure up hoping they find you before you find them. Of course, we've struggled moving the ball on the Citadel against that aggressive attack the last few seasons.

I have full faith that Hendrix will get the offensive line sorted out. He's coached a long time, and last spring was the first time I ever felt a little washy about the offensive line play on a team he was coaching. I cannot imagine that happens twice. The boys will be ready.

You know A&T will be hyped up to play in front of a good crowd. Use that energy against them.
 #42519  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:28 am
Thorny wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:26 pm
I am not worried about how big their wide receivers are, how big their qb is, or how talented their rb is. I have no doubt that Furman's defense will be able to handle anything they throw at us.

I am worried about whether Furman's offense can sustain drives and our O-line can make holes for Wynn to run through. We have good kids and if the Offensive coordinator can't come up with a move the ball I will be out of patience.

Just looked up their stud running back.

In 2019 regular season:

Jah-Maine Martin - 171 carries for 1,336 yards
Devin Wynn - 178 carries for 1,182 yards
 #42522  by AstroDin
 Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:49 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:19 am
Game Notes: https://furmanpaladins.com/documents/20 ... istics.pdf

Two surprises to me on depth chart - Roberto starting over Abrams and Wyatt Hughes over Evan Jumper.

Lot of focus up front. It's a relatively new mix of guys. Let's see what they've got.
CCH has been praising Roberto since the beginning of pre-season practice. I assume Furman will rotate Roberto and Abrams liberally.

Concerning the Wynn and Martin matchup. Furman will play Anderson and Thomas. When you add Roberto and Abrams into the mix. The backfield is going to be a moving target in the running game and the passing game.
 #42523  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:57 am
AstroDin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Two surprises to me on depth chart - Roberto starting over Abrams and Wyatt Hughes over Evan Jumper.

Lot of focus up front. It's a relatively new mix of guys. Let's see what they've got.
CCH has been praising Roberto since the beginning of pre-season practice. I assume Furman will rotate Roberto and Abrams liberally.

Concerning the Wynn and Martin matchup. Furman will play Anderson and Thomas. When you add Roberto and Abrams into the mix. The backfield is going to be a moving target in the running game and the passing game.

I expect we will see a heavy dose of Wynn, Roberto, Abrams, Anderson, and Thomas.

Furman's going to have to figure out creative ways to get the ball out quickly into space. The Aggies are an aggressive front seven, and we weren't exactly stellar making quick reads against pressure last spring.

I'd love to see some screens and efforts to quickly get the ball out into open space.
 #42524  by AstroDin
 Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:03 am
one more thought on the roster > Ryan Lamb.
Lamb is a big, nasty fella, the dude plays to the whistle.
I look forward to seeing how he performs.
MNORM liked this
 #42531  by apaladin
 Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:55 am
Couldn’t ask for better weather. 85 for a high! Very low humidity and no chance of rain. Will feel a bit like fall. Just hope both FU and A&T folks show up but very skeptical that either will. Still hoping.
Last edited by apaladin on Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #42539  by apaladin
 Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:36 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:55 am
Couldn’t ask for better weather. 85 for a high! Very low humidity and no chance of rain. Will feel a bit like fall. Just hope both FU and A&T folks show up but very skeptical that either will. Was hoping for 10k but afraid its go8ng to be in the 7k range unless there is a huge walkup. Still hoping.
 #42552  by gofurman
 Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:09 pm
The Jackal wrote:
AstroDin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

I expect we will see a heavy dose of Wynn, Roberto, Abrams, Anderson, and Thomas.

Furman's going to have to figure out creative ways to get the ball out quickly into space. The Aggies are an aggressive front seven, and we weren't exactly stellar making quick reads against pressure last spring.

I'd love to see some screens and efforts to quickly get the ball out into open space.
That’s an understatement. We were a loooooong. Way from stellar at quick passes or making reads or good OL work last spring
 #42554  by apaladin
 Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:16 pm
gofurman wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:09 pm
The Jackal wrote:
AstroDin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

That’s an understatement. We were a loooooong. Way from stellar at quick passes or making reads or good OL work last spring
From what I saw in the scrimmage we’re still not good at it. The quick sideways pass behind the line of scrimmage if completed was caught off their shoetops,
 #42555  by apaladin
 Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:11 pm
FU tweeted a video asking the question “Who will score the first TD”? A better question may be “Will we score a TD”? 😂😂😂😂

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.