• NC A&T - Sept. 4

#42476  by AstroDin
 Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:38 am
funny > we might be saying in the near future look at our tall receivers…
Joshua Harris is 6-2 177
next year Tobi Olawole comes in he's 6-2 187 and also a track star.

Jackal brought up Schumbert > freshman Landon Whittemore is 6-4 228, not to diss Andy but Landon appears to be a better athlete (he also had 23 offers), throw in Miller at 6-2, Healey at 6-2, and Henderson at 6-1 207 we have some size this season.
 #42477  by apaladin
 Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:35 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:39 am
There’s a reason he’s at NC A&T. He’s probably either not very fast or not very good at catching. Or he may not be able to remember his routes. If he was all that he’d be at NC State or at least ECU.
Your quote is already on the NC A&T message board. Kinda naive to think if a player is good he won’t be at the FCS level and every good player is at FBS level. We could say the same about Devin Wynn, if he was all that he would be at CU or SC or even Coastal.
bj93 liked this
 #42478  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:53 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:35 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:39 am
There’s a reason he’s at NC A&T. He’s probably either not very fast or not very good at catching. Or he may not be able to remember his routes. If he was all that he’d be at NC State or at least ECU.
Your quote is already on the NC A&T message board. Kinda naive to think if a player is good he won’t be at the FCS level and every good player is at FBS level. We could say the same about Devin Wynn, if he was all that he would be at CU or SC or even Coastal.

You're the one that brought up the stupid argument to begin with.

Look, in 2019 A&T had a middling passing offense in one of the nation's worst FCS conferences. Their 2019 team put up roughly equivalent numbers (against weaker competition) through the air to what Furman did this spring, and I know how much you love to talk about how good Furman's passing offense is.

Furman sees plenty of good wide receivers. Two of the nation's best passing offenses plays in our conference. We shut down the top pass catcher in the FCS this spring (who is a physical monster, by the way). Our defense surrendered three fewer passing touchdowns this spring than we had interceptions.

We'll be fine.
 #42479  by Furmanoid
 Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:11 pm
I take it back Mr. Berkhalter turned down 8, count em 8, FBS schools. Wow, that’s recruiting! I guess we should go ahead and forfeit.
 #42480  by gman84
 Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:17 pm
Their qb is a large young man as well. 6'4 235, product of Dorman High. Big game this Saturday!
 #42483  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:00 pm
gman84 wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:17 pm
Their qb is a large young man as well. 6'4 235, product of Dorman High. Big game this Saturday!

I remember UTC came into Paladin Stadium a few years ago with a 6'5 240 lbs QB transfer from Mississippi State (Nick Tiano). We bounced him around like a pinball all afternoon.
 #42484  by Furmanoid
 Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:05 pm
I’m sure our coaches knew all about the Dorman kid when he was available.
 #42485  by FUBeAR
 Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:19 pm
2 important questions…

1) How will our band respond to meet such a big challenge? They would be better prepared if they ever traveled to Cullowhee or if WCU would bring their band to TR…but those things don’t happen — so here we are. This is their BIG matchup & they are bound to be intimidated early. How will they absorb The Blue & Gold Marching Machine’s opening salvo & how will they respond, if at all? This should be riveting if it’s not a complete blowout.

2) Reckon how my fellow Tarheel Staters would respond if FUBeAR eased on over to their Alumni Tailgate Tent with a slightly hungry look in his eyes? FFPA Tailgates are always sumptuous & amazing, but I’m thinking the Aggie Alumni just might put together a pretty dang sporty tailgate themselves. Some of those Alcorn State & Central grills I saw on TV looked incomparable. Think the Aggies can hang with them?…maybe I’ll find out.
Furmanoid, MNORM liked this
 #42486  by gman84
 Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:31 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:05 pm
I’m sure our coaches knew all about the Dorman kid when he was available.
Wasn't suggesting our coaches did not know about him. I don't remember him as a Dorman product. But lately there is a lot I don't remember.
Furmanoid, AstroDin liked this
 #42487  by Furmanoid
 Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:39 pm
When we played at SC State in the playoffs a few years ago there were 3 takeaways.

1. The smell from the grills was maddening.
2. The band just isn’t anywhere in the same league as the ones back in the 80’s. That was disappointing.
3. The team wasn’t very good.

With A&T I’m expecting #1 to be the same. Maybe not #2 since a friend of mine was there 4 years ago and said the band was still pretty serious. Team wise, I’m sure they are OK, but Jackal has convinced me that we are good. If we are in fact good, we will win easily.
apaladin, MNORM liked this
 #42489  by FUBeAR
 Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:08 pm
LOL - Despite Jackal’s optimism, even if we are very good, we will not win this game easily. I think you have to go back to about 2012 to find a season when A&T didn’t win at least 9 games. Their young men know how to win and will be expecting to win. It is their habit. It’s in their DNA as Aggies. They will not be defeated without putting up a vigorous fight. If our Players are expecting anything otherwise, they will be sorely mistaken as their fannies get quite an a$$-whippin’.

I believe Coach Hendrix and the other members of the Coaching Staff, along with our Sr. Leaders/Captains will ensure our Players/Team have the proper mindset on Saturday.
gman84, Affirm liked this
 #42490  by Furmanoid
 Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:28 pm
Just staying real. Their big wins in 2019 were against 5-6 Elon and 6-6 Chuck Southern. BIG DEAL. This is somebody we should beat if we are who we say we are. And we’ll get a ton of credit for doing it! No need to lower expectations on this one.
 #42492  by FUBeAR
 Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:32 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:28 pm
Just staying real. Their big wins in 2019 were against 5-6 Elon and 6-6 Chuck Southern. BIG DEAL. This is somebody we should beat if we are who we say we are. And we’ll get a ton of credit for doing it! No need to lower expectations on this one.
My expectation is exactly what I said and I will be THRILLED with a 1-point victory.
apaladin liked this
 #42493  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:39 pm
Certainly optimistic, but also realistic. A&T is a good football team. They will be an excellent challenge for us. They are not a group we can afford to make too many mistakes against and survive with a win.

At the same time, we're going to be better than their average opponent. I expect they will be the quality we would typically see against the better SoCon teams.

Of course, I have no idea who the better SoCon teams are year to year.
apaladin liked this