• NC A&T - Sept. 4

#42450  by AstroDin
 Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:20 am
I'm expecting having McKoy back and at Bandit is going to be a pretty big deal.
Having McKoy in the mix at Bandit benefits Adrain Hope.
Both of these guys have motors and play with deceptive power.
McKoy and Hope should be an impressive one-two punch, but that's not all.
> To Jackal's point, Furman will go three deep at many defensive positions.

Standing ready to go behind Hope and McKoy is Luke Clark.
Luke is a physical change of pace coming in at 6-3 243 pounds.

I'll be watching to see how much pressure we get on Jalen Fowler.
He's a big QB with mobility but not speed, I'm curious how we attack.

On the backside looking forward to watching this group of DBs play.
Affirm liked this
 #42451  by AstroDin
 Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:36 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:06 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:43 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:53 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:02 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:03 am
Now for something that concerns us all. THE WEATHER:
Of course it will change 15 times between now and next Saturday.
Mostky sunny 87 for a high and winds 5-10 mph with virtually no chance of rain(4%). Lowest ra8n chance for the next 2 weeks. For Labor Day weekend I will take that. Lock it in.
Revisiting the defensive line preview — "We believe we can play two-deep on a regular basis and, in some cases, feel like we've got a third guy who can go," added Hendrix, who sees several others poised to contribute.

We have five guys with a lot of experience that will man the three defensive-front positions. Furman needs to weave Seth Johnson into the action - cause he will need to play in 22.

DE—is going to be interesting to watch. Behind Lawrence will be a redshirt freshman (I Jackson) and two highly recruited true freshmen (Stainfield and Paraison).

Give me sunny, hot, and high humidity and let’s put our conditioning up against theirs.
Never understood this line of thinking which is common. Every team works just as hard as FU. I think its more about the Jimmys and Joes.

I am not sure what is complicated about this. Every team works hard, but not every team conditions the same.

No team can truly recreate game speed conditions in practice. Especially early in the season, the heat can take its toll on fitness and depth - you'll frequently see guys cramping up in the second half, defensive linemen on a knee in between plays, and some heavier legs out there. It won't show up in the first quarter. It will show up midway through the second half.

Furman is going to rotate a lot of players into the game on both sides of the ball Saturday. Our second and third lines at many positions will not show much of a drop off from the first unit. That is particularly true across the defensive front, where the Paladins go three deep at many positions.

Does that play a role late in tight game? Maybe. Maybe not.
I hope we do rotate the defensive line guys. It amazes me how often coaches leave the big guys out there when they are half dead. Anybody whose played a sport with something close to heat exhaustion knows that they are dipping down to maybe 70-80% performance (or lower) so the next fresh guy off the bench is better. I wouldn’t think exhausted offensive linemen would be too happy to see a completely fresh second string guy show up across from them. The OL guy might have manhandled him in the first quarter but not so much in the third.
Affirm liked this
 #42452  by The Jackal
 Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:51 am
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:20 am
I'm expecting having McKoy back and at Bandit is going to be a pretty big deal.
Having McKoy in the mix at Bandit benefits Adrain Hope.
Both of these guys have motors and play with deceptive power.
McKoy and Hope should be an impressive one-two punch, but that's not all.
> To Jackal's point, Furman will go three deep at many defensive positions.

Standing ready to go behind Hope and McKoy is Luke Clark.
Luke is a physical change of pace coming in at 6-3 243 pounds.

I'll be watching to see how much pressure we get on Jalen Fowler.
He's a big QB with mobility but not speed, I'm curious how we attack.

On the backside looking forward to watching this group of DBs play.

That's certainly going to be a matchup area to watch. A&T is breaking in new OTs. Hope, McKoy, and Clark will be a tough draw for them in game 1.

That's sort of the idea, though. You get into the second half and Furman should be able to keep rotating fresh bodies along the defensive front and in the pass rush. It's tough for an offensive linemen to know they aren't going to get a break regardless of who is out there.
 #42460  by apaladin
 Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:35 pm
They have a 6’5” receiver. Gonna be tough for our 5’9” dbs. :?
 #42461  by Thorny
 Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:28 pm
apaladin wrote:They have a 6’5” receiver. Gonna be tough for our 5’9” dbs. :?
I've decided that apaladin is secretly a Citadel fan and is just here to get under our skin.
MNORM, Roundball liked this
 #42462  by Paul C
 Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:56 pm
Thorny wrote:
I've decided that apaladin is secretly a Citadel fan and is just here to get under our skin.
Nah, comments like that show he’s too smart to be a Citadel.
 #42467  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:49 am
One storyline will be NCA&T's excellent RB Jah-Maine Martin against Furman's defense. He's going to be one of the best feature backs we've seen in a while.

At the same time, Furman had one of the nation's top rush defenses in the country this spring. So, it will be strength on strength.
 #42468  by AstroDin
 Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:16 am
Paladin > you make me laugh (in a good way, seriously)

Furman's Backfield
Probable Starters
Hugh Ryan FS 6-1 200
Dimarcus Clay SS 5-9 184 or Kam Brinson SS 5-10 184
Travis Blackshear CB 5-10 180
Ivan Yates CB 5-11 178

I's say size wise Furman's defensive backfield is average height. NDSU has its game notes up for their first game against Albany. For comparison; Corners; 6-0, 5-10 SS 5-11, FS 6-2.

Interesting note; looking over the size of the NDSU 2 deep compared to Furman overall we would be an equal match when you compare size. The Bison are a little taller on the OL weights about the same. Our backs are bigger. They have two 6-2 or taller receivers, the rest are 6-0 and under.

Where Furman has made great strides size-wise and athletic ability is along the defensive line. Furman actually by the numbers has a bigger D line than the Bison. We can't compare Furman against the Aggies yet - until game notes. But — going on the Alcorn St game notes - A&T was loaded with 5yr seniors and grad students on the d-line.

One more interesting thing comparing NDSU and Furman is at linebacker.

NDSU
W 6-0 215, M 6-2 219, S 6-1 209
Furman
ILB 6-0 216, ILB 6-2 233, Spur 6-0 202

Granted Gilby is a big FCS linebacker, NDSU's largest linebacker is their #2 at SLB (6-4 221).
FYI DiMaggio at 6-3 230.
Obviously, NDSU isn't facing the same type of offenses that the DIns face in the SoCon.
My point in the past Furman has played at some significant size disadvantage. Other than NCSU we're going to match up size-wise with our opponents.
apaladin liked this
 #42471  by gman84
 Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:19 am
Paul C wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:56 pm
Thorny wrote:
Nah, comments like that show he’s too smart to be a Citadel.
I've decided apaladin is secretly the most optimistic person on this board. He is just compensating to hide his true self. :D :D Seriously apaladin, keep being yourself.
apaladin liked this
 #42472  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:46 am
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:16 am
Paladin > you make me laugh (in a good way, seriously)

Furman's Backfield
Probable Starters
Hugh Ryan FS 6-1 200
Dimarcus Clay SS 5-9 184 or Kam Brinson SS 5-10 184
Travis Blackshear CB 5-10 180
Ivan Yates CB 5-11 178

I's say size wise Furman's defensive backfield is average height. NDSU has its game notes up for their first game against Albany. For comparison; Corners; 6-0, 5-10 SS 5-11, FS 6-2.

Interesting note; looking over the size of the NDSU 2 deep compared to Furman overall we would be an equal match when you compare size. The Bison are a little taller on the OL weights about the same. Our backs are bigger. They have two 6-2 or taller receivers, the rest are 6-0 and under.

Where Furman has made great strides size-wise and athletic ability is along the defensive line. Furman actually by the numbers has a bigger D line than the Bison. We can't compare Furman against the Aggies yet - until game notes. But — going on the Alcorn St game notes - A&T was loaded with 5yr seniors and grad students on the d-line.

One more interesting thing comparing NDSU and Furman is at linebacker.

NDSU
W 6-0 215, M 6-2 219, S 6-1 209
Furman
ILB 6-0 216, ILB 6-2 233, Spur 6-0 202

Granted Gilby is a big FCS linebacker, NDSU's largest linebacker is their #2 at SLB (6-4 221).
FYI DiMaggio at 6-3 230.
Obviously, NDSU isn't facing the same type of offenses that the DIns face in the SoCon.
My point in the past Furman has played at some significant size disadvantage. Other than NCSU we're going to match up size-wise with our opponents.

Furman has only two defensive backs listed at 5'9 - Cally Chizik, who is injured, and DiMarcus Clay. Clay would probably start for every team in the SoCon.

Also, we faced the nations top receiving threat last spring - VMI's Jakob Herres. Harris also happens to be big WR (6'4 225). Look at his numbers on the season. Furman largely shut him down. He averaged 10 catches, a touchdown, and 100 yards per game over the season. Furman held him to 57 yards on 5 catches with no touchdowns.
fupaladin01 liked this
 #42474  by Furmanoid
 Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:39 am
There’s a reason he’s at NC A&T. He’s probably either not very fast or not very good at catching. Or he may not be able to remember his routes. If he was all that he’d be at NC State or at least ECU.
 #42475  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:14 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:39 am
There’s a reason he’s at NC A&T. He’s probably either not very fast or not very good at catching. Or he may not be able to remember his routes. If he was all that he’d be at NC State or at least ECU.

There are a few that slip through the cracks. Randy Moss eventually ended up at Marshall. Furman played against Marques Colston during his time at Hofstra.

Heck, Furman figured out a way to scheme Andy Schumpert into one of the league's most lethal receivers as a hybrid WR/TE.

To the point, if you have that physical size and are a dominant receiver, you like aren't on an FCS roster. At the same time, big is big and if you can catch, that makes you a tough assignment.
bj93 liked this