• NC A&T - Sept. 4

#42268  by tim
 Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:30 pm
They have a good team but not having played in 2 years, I can't imagine them showing it. Timing alone should be a major problem. For them, its an opening game x 2.
 #42269  by apaladin
 Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:11 pm
Well I guess I coulda lied and said I expect us to win by 2 scores. Of course I hope I am totally wrong and we win by many but after watching us lose by 3 tds to a 1-9 Citadel team 3 months ago I admit I don’t have much confidence. Shoot me. There are many unknown factors that may or may not play a part:
1. A&T not playing for almost 2 years.
2. A&T will be starting a local guy making his first college start.
3. A&T their size and spped.
4. FU will be starting a revised and mostly new OL.
5. FU Hamp Sisson
6. FU can we run the ball?
Regardless I can’t wait for Sept. 4th to see what happens.
 #42428  by The Jackal
 Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:05 am
This A&T fan has done a preview of the Aggie football team in a few installments.

It's a useful read, though certainly written to make the 2021 Aggies sound like the 1999 St. Louis Rams.

https://bluedeathvalley.com/2021-bdv-fo ... ew-part-3/

https://bluedeathvalley.com/2021-bdv-fo ... ew-part-2/

https://bluedeathvalley.com/2021-bdv-fo ... ew-part-1/

Just reading these reports, it would appear that A&T leans heavily on the transfer portal to fill out their roster. For instance, it looks like they rely on multiple transfers at every level of their defense (I count five or more just on the defensive line).

They do return a good number of players with game experience, but with the pandemic and eligibility changes, I think you can say that about every team on Furman's schedule. I expect everyone (Furman included) will boast about how many returning letterman they have.

Two areas where they may have some inexperience is at OT and QB. The matchup between A&T's new OTs and Adrian Hope may be one to watch. It's a tough draw for a first time starter slotting in for the first game action in two years to face up with one of the nation's best pass rushers.
 #42434  by apaladin
 Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:59 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:05 am

It's a useful read, though certainly written to make the 2021 Aggies sound like the 1999 St. Louis Rams.
To be honest our previews read the same way. :D
 #42435  by apaladin
 Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:03 am
Now for something that concerns us all. THE WEATHER:
Of course it will change 15 times between now and next Saturday.
Mostky sunny 87 for a high and winds 5-10 mph with virtually no chance of rain(4%). Lowest rain chance for the next 2 weeks. For Labor Day weekend I will take that. Lock it in.
Last edited by apaladin on Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Affirm liked this
 #42437  by The Jackal
 Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:02 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mostky sunny 87 for a high and winds 5-10 mph with virtually no chance of rain(4%). Lowest ra8n chance for the next 2 weeks. For Labor Day weekend I will take that. Lock it in.

Give me sunny, hot, and high humidity and let’s put our conditioning up against theirs.
 #42438  by Roundball
 Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:22 pm
This is a good band and a very nice addition to pre-game activities.
 #42444  by apaladin
 Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:53 am
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Mostky sunny 87 for a high and winds 5-10 mph with virtually no chance of rain(4%). Lowest ra8n chance for the next 2 weeks. For Labor Day weekend I will take that. Lock it in.

Give me sunny, hot, and high humidity and let’s put our conditioning up against theirs.
Never understood this line of thinking which is common. Every team works just as hard as FU. I think its more about the Jimmys and Joes.
 #42445  by Thorny
 Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:26 am
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Never understood this line of thinking which is common. Every team works just as hard as FU. I think its more about the Jimmys and Joes.
Maybe due to depth we have more Jimmys and Joes. :D
 #42447  by Roundball
 Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:52 am
A lot can change between now and Saturday, but the NWS has the Saturday morning low temperature at 60. with a high of 85 and lower humidity. Give us that, please.
dornb, FU69 liked this
 #42448  by The Jackal
 Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:43 am
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:

I am not sure what is complicated about this. Every team works hard, but not every team conditions the same.

No team can truly recreate game speed conditions in practice. Especially early in the season, the heat can take its toll on fitness and depth - you'll frequently see guys cramping up in the second half, defensive linemen on a knee in between plays, and some heavier legs out there. It won't show up in the first quarter. It will show up midway through the second half.

Furman is going to rotate a lot of players into the game on both sides of the ball Saturday. Our second and third lines at many positions will not show much of a drop off from the first unit. That is particularly true across the defensive front, where the Paladins go three deep at many positions.

Does that play a role late in tight game? Maybe. Maybe not.
 #42449  by Furmanoid
 Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:06 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:43 am
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:

I am not sure what is complicated about this. Every team works hard, but not every team conditions the same.

No team can truly recreate game speed conditions in practice. Especially early in the season, the heat can take its toll on fitness and depth - you'll frequently see guys cramping up in the second half, defensive linemen on a knee in between plays, and some heavier legs out there. It won't show up in the first quarter. It will show up midway through the second half.

Furman is going to rotate a lot of players into the game on both sides of the ball Saturday. Our second and third lines at many positions will not show much of a drop off from the first unit. That is particularly true across the defensive front, where the Paladins go three deep at many positions.

Does that play a role late in tight game? Maybe. Maybe not.
I hope we do rotate the defensive line guys. It amazes me how often coaches leave the big guys out there when they are half dead. Anybody whose played a sport with something close to heat exhaustion knows that they are dipping down to maybe 70-80% performance (or lower) so the next fresh guy off the bench is better. I wouldn’t think exhausted offensive linemen would be too happy to see a completely fresh second string guy show up across from them. The OL guy might have manhandled him in the first quarter but not so much in the third.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.