• 2022 Recruiting

#42021  by Roundball
 Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:22 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:49 pm
tya1 wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:54 am
Denzel Aberdeen, 6'4" pg from Florida , has narrowed his list to eight schools. Seven P5 schools and Iona. Favorites from that list could be Georgia Tech, Florida, and Oklahoma - those are his first three official visits.
Again no point in talkng about these type players with P5 offers. We have zero chance. Even worse now since the NIL thingy.
I’m glad our coaching staff doesn’t have your “no chance” attitude.
MNORM liked this
 #42033  by apaladin
 Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:58 am
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
tya1 wrote:
Denzel Aberdeen, 6'4" pg from Florida , has narrowed his list to eight schools. Seven P5 schools and Iona. Favorites from that list could be Georgia Tech, Florida, and Oklahoma - those are his first three official visits.
Again no point in talkng about these type players with P5 offers. We have zero chance. Even worse now since the NIL thingy.
Wake me up when we land one of these.
 #42034  by Roundball
 Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:38 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:58 am
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
tya1 wrote:
Wake me up when we land one of these.
I will, if you stop posting until that happens. :D
din23 liked this
 #42042  by tya1
 Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:24 pm
Ben VanderWal, 6'7" wing/forward from the Chicago area, has set four official visits. Bucknell beginning August 21, Furman starting Aug. 27, William & Mary Sept. 10, and Yale Sept. 17. Each visit is listed for three days.
Last edited by tya1 on Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #42048  by furpop16
 Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:45 pm
tya1 wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:24 pm
Ben VanderWal, 6'7" wing/forward from the Chicago area, has set four official visits. Bucknell beginning August 21, Furman starting Aug. 21, William & Mary Sept. 10, and Yale Sept. 17. Each visit is listed for three days.
Matt Rafferty country.
 #42442  by tya1
 Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:16 pm
Great start to the recruiting class!

VanderWal had 15 offers from D1 schools listed on his Verbal Commits bio - all of them since June 22nd. His talents should fit in perfectly with what Richey and the staff are looking for.
Here is what the website Illinois Hoop Prospects said -

"5. Ben VanderWal (6’7 SF, Timothy Christian)
Projection: Hard-Nosed Catch-and-Shoot/Attacking Wing
Most College-Ready Trait: Grit/Consistency
Biggest Question Mark For the Next Level: Creativity off the dribble

Outlook: Toughness travels. VanderWal rebounds, protects the rim, and puts his body on the line. Wait until he gets into a college strength program. He’s been around 40 percent from three all year. His ability to get downhill to draw fouls or finish in traffic might end up being more of an asset than his shooting. There are still some limits to his one-on-one game, but VanderWal will be successful because he does things the right way and has the talent to match. Mid-major offers like Northeastern, W&M, Furman, and Bucknell have rolled in."

It will be interesting to see if this commitment stimulates some more decisions to be made.
Fuonetime liked this
 #42443  by tya1
 Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:06 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:10 pm
Ditched his other visits and committed early. Love it.
This may be why - (from the Chicago Sun-Times)

LINK
After sorting through all his options, VanderWal set four official visits, He visited Bucknell last week and Furman this past weekend. He had plans to visit William & Mary and Yale, but there was no need for any other visits. Furman had solidified a growing feeling he had.

With each phone call he had with Furman head coach Bob Richey and his staff, VanderWal said he would get off the phone and “his mind would be rolling about Furman.” There was an obvious connection that was growing and that was cemented while on his official visit.

“That family feel,” VanderWal said of the difference he felt with Furman. “The whole program felt like one big family. And that feel extended to everyone –– from the players to the coaches to the support staff, strength and conditioning people. There was this great connection between everyone in the program.”

That connection he felt started with Richey and his coaching staff through the recruiting process.

“There isn’t always a whole lot of transparency in recruiting,” the obviously astute VanderWal said. “But with Furman they were so transparent. I always understood where they were at in the process with me and my recruitment. They were so personable and genuine.
Roundball, MNORM, apaladin and 2 others liked this
 #42446  by Monday
 Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:31 am
Finally! What a big get for us. Of his final four teams, W&M has been crushing us in recruiting lately (over the past 2 years 3 recruits have chosen the Tribe over FU ) and Yale is probably the best program in the Ivy League (and also has a Furman recruit on roster).
Maybe we can add UGA to that list of victories and land Tom House.
Fuonetime, Roundball liked this
 #42463  by tya1
 Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:10 am
Monday wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:31 am
Finally! What a big get for us. Of his final four teams, W&M has been crushing us in recruiting lately (over the past 2 years 3 recruits have chosen the Tribe over FU ) and Yale is probably the best program in the Ivy League (and also has a Furman recruit on roster).
Maybe we can add UGA to that list of victories and land Tom House.
"Crushing us" is a bit of an exaggeration. Tyrese Hughey picked the Paladins over W&M, and now VanderWal has too. Last year we offered two post players. James Lee Repass committed on March 6th and Langdon Hatton committed to W&M ten days later. I am not an insider, but that looks like the old recruiting situation of having one spot for a position and taking the first commitment. I don't know that we lost that recruiting battle. Maybe, but I don't know.

Over the past five years we average around 15 offers a year and sign 3 players. That is a dozen who sign elsewhere. They all don't represent being outrecruited
 #42497  by Monday
 Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:39 pm
tya1 wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:10 am
"Crushing us" is a bit of an exaggeration.
This is a fan forum. Hyperbole should be expected.

No, not all players who sign elsewhere are direct recruiting losses, but name another program with as many former FU recruits as W&M. Both schools are vying for kids with about the same academic and athletic make-up. They are at least a recruiting rival and we beat them this time. Maybe we can get a home and home in the near future and really see who won the these battles.

Ben Wight was also looked at by FU after he decommitted from Ohio. He may have gotten an offer but it isn't on VC so it doesn't count.
 #42512  by tya1
 Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:16 am
Going back to the college freshman class of 2016-17 we have seen five possible recruits go to Belmont, four to William & Mary, three to Bucknell, and three to Loyola (IL). Several schools signed two.

Interesting note is that, as far as I can tell, there are no players who Furman recruited who originally signed with a SoCon school out of high school on any other SoCon rosters. There is one player the Paladins offered, Ques Glover, on the Samford roster. He originally signed with Florida but has transferred to the Bulldogs for this season.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.