• Reasons for Optimism in Fall 2021?

#42344  by Furmanoid
 Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:13 pm
I wonder if the contact tracing requirements are slacker if everybody is vaccinated. That tracing is the killer. Right now in Aiken Co. 140 positive students have knocked another 1100 out of school.
 #42345  by FUBeAR
 Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:40 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
140 positive students have knocked another 1100 out of school.
FUBeAR woulda been like… “I’ll have to miss school you say? Dang…Heck yeah, I was around that kid all the time. Ate lunch with him yesterday. What was his name again?” …and then… “What? I have to miss Football too? I was just kidding…never even seen that kid. I don’t think he even goes to our school…Um…no, that’s not me sitting next to him on the bus in that video. That other kid musta stolen my Football jersey out of my locker that day!”
Last edited by FUBeAR on Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #42346  by apaladin
 Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:48 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
I wonder if the contact tracing requirements are slacker if everybody is vaccinated. That tracing is the killer. Right now in Aiken Co. 140 positive students have knocked another 1100 out of school.
Yes like I said vaccinated players do not have to isolate or quarantine but may be tested.
 #42384  by Furmanoid
 Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:34 pm
To play a game, you need 11 guys. That’s the way it was played for decades. Only the tiniest schools are getting knocked down to fewer than 11. Big schools lose some stars and want a pause because the coaches are spoiled.

On my girls tennis team, we will play as long as we can find 7 players. But of course the girls also play 2 hrs or longer on 115 degree courts which football boys could never do.

I just hope the fb coaches who call the shots for SCHSL don’t pause all sports just because they don’t want to play.
apaladin, FurmAlum, FUBeAR liked this
 #42390  by GOAT
 Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:39 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
To play a game, you need 11 guys. That’s the way it was played for decades. Only the tiniest schools are getting knocked down to fewer than 11. Big schools lose some stars and want a pause because the coaches are spoiled.

On my girls tennis team, we will play as long as we can find 7 players. But of course the girls also play 2 hrs or longer on 115 degree courts which football boys could never do.

I just hope the fb coaches who call the shots for SCHSL don’t pause all sports just because they don’t want to play.
When was the last time you saw a game where only 11 players played on one team. Everybody played both ways with no subs. I have never seen that happen. Most schools and leagues prevent this, to protect players from injury. Most coaches and players I know in every sport want to play, if it is safe. Some fans do not care whether it is safe or not.
 #42391  by FUBeAR
 Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:22 pm
GOAT wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:39 pm
Furmanoid wrote:

When was the last time you saw a game where only 11 players played on one team. Everybody played both ways with no subs. I have never seen that happen. Most schools and leagues prevent this, to protect players from injury. Most coaches and players I know in every sport want to play, if it is safe. Some fans do not care whether it is safe or not.
A Team I was Coaching faced a church-sponsored Team in Youth Ball a few years back. They only had 9 Players show up for the game…at their place. The refs were gonna cancel the game, force them to forfeit unless they had 10. We wanted to play after driving across ATL to play them. They wanted to play too. So, we ‘loaned’ them 2 Players on a loosely ‘rotating’ basis..and, no, not our ‘worst’ Players. Most of our best kids wanted to play a few series for them to help them out. I think the “official” record was that they did forfeit, but the Ref’s stayed to call the game (for a few extra $’s, if I recall), which we played, and everyone had a great time.

I think some young (and maybe older also) people might have learned a few lessons in Sportsmanship that day. FUBeAR Jr. brought that game up to me a few months ago mentioning how much fun it was & how cool it was that we worked it out / helped them out and were able to play a game. So, impressions were definitely made.

Find a way to make it work FOR the kids…

To paraphrase Coach Herman Edwards, “You play to PLAY the game.”

Oh…also…yeah, it was a few years ago, but the only time FUBeAR left the field during games in HS was Kickoff Team…and, if they’d asked, I’d-a done that too. This was for a highest classification Top 10 (or so) Football Team in NC. No injuries due to fatigue. Kids ain’t gonna get hurt cuz they’re a bit winded.
FurmAlum, gman84 liked this
 #42392  by FurmAlum
 Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:46 pm
That reminds me of Furman's soccer game that was cancelled with American Univ. yesterday and I guess this needs to be on the Soccer thread but here goes anyway.

Furman went all the way to Washington, D.C. to play American Univ. in soccer that was scheduled for Thur. afternoon. I saw on the FU website where it was "cancelled due to inclement weather".

Well, couldn't they have played after the thunderstorm was over? Couldn't they have played Thur. evening? The game was scheduled for 2 P.M. What about the next morning?

Don't know the details but this seems somewhat stupid.
 #42393  by The Jackal
 Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:30 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
That reminds me of Furman's soccer game that was cancelled with American Univ. yesterday and I guess this needs to be on the Soccer thread but here goes anyway.

Furman went all the way to Washington, D.C. to play American Univ. in soccer that was scheduled for Thur. afternoon. I saw on the FU website where it was "cancelled due to inclement weather".

Well, couldn't they have played after the thunderstorm was over? Couldn't they have played Thur. evening? The game was scheduled for 2 P.M. What about the next morning?

I guess it depends on the team's flight schedule. I imagine by 2:00 they'd checked out of the hotel and would be on a flight that evening.
 #42395  by Roundball
 Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:58 pm
FurmAlum wrote:

Funny but important thing about that "inclement weather." I looked at the radar at game time and there was not a storm within 50 miles of the location of the game.
 #42398  by soconjohn
 Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:57 pm
In terms of cancellations, nothing was more disappointing than 2018 with hurricanes all over the place...COVID-19 no doubt is frustrating, but in some ways storms are as unpredictable as the pandemic...I understand cancellations for both...But Furman got penalized for not playing Colgate...Talk about something out your control...You can get a vaccine at least for COVID...There's nothing you can do about mother nature canceling a game and it counting against you!
LB1987 liked this
 #42399  by FurmAlum
 Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:07 pm
Roundball wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:58 pm
FurmAlum wrote:

Funny but important thing about that "inclement weather." I looked at the radar at game time and there was not a storm within 50 miles of the location of the game.
So, what was the real reason the game was cancelled? Anybody know?

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.