• Reasons for Optimism in Fall 2021?

#41973  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:07 am
AstroDin wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:11 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:44 am
Sure 40 yds is way farther than I can throw. It is 3 ft over the Punt Pass and Kick record. For 13 yr old girls.

I don’t consider our HS program to be much better than average. We win a crappy region every year and then lose early in the playoffs. My son could throw 60 with a bad leg, was as fast as the starter and way smarter. Couldn’t make the QB depth chart. The starter (used to throw lots of long passes to Bell) ended up 4th string at Edwin Waters which is one of the worst college programs in the country. So if he was above average for HS, it wasn’t by much. That’s the data my opinion is based upon, but it is somewhat anecdotal.

And I didn’t take into consideration the overall deterioration of HS football quality (in our region at least) over the past few years.
here is an example of Jace Wilson's arm… 40 yard pass under pressure.

It's a pretty pass. WR also gets a free release off the line, CB is flat footed and leaves his safety out to dry.

Can he make that throw? Yes. Will that throw be there in SoCon play with the CB is mugging the receiver, the safety is hovering over the top, AND the linebacker is in your face? We will see.
 #41980  by Furmanoid
 Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:29 am
Jeepers Jackal, how do you go from insanely optimistic one minute to total buzz kill the next? Our practice watchers are saying we have QB’s looking real good at practice. If we have a really good QB drop into our lap, we probably win the conference. Even Furmanoid is catching the excitement!
FUBeAR liked this
 #41982  by The Jackal
 Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:31 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Jeepers Jackal, how do you go from insanely optimistic one minute to total buzz kill the next? Our practice watchers are saying we have QB’s looking real good at practice. If we have a really good QB drop into our lap, we probably win the conference. Even Furmanoid is catching the excitement!

Not blindly optimistic. He can make the throw, that's great. Every kid we've got was a stud in high school. Making that throw when you are best athlete on the field or when everyone is in short's a shells is different than doing it in a game. Maybe he can.
 #41986  by Jasper
 Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:22 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:31 am
Furmanoid wrote:

Not blindly optimistic. He can make the throw, that's great. Every kid we've got was a stud in high school. Making that throw when you are best athlete on the field or when everyone is in short's a shells is different than doing it in a game. Maybe he can.
You are correct and it is obvious that making throws in practice sessions is not necessarily indicative of whether that throw is made in game conditions. However, watching a kid make great throws is an indication that he CAN make them. Whether he WILL or not is a whole nuther thing. It is very hard to judge QB's in any practice condition since they are not supposed to be hit. Game conditions simply cant be duplicated. The same applies to receivers. Some of the circus catches we see in practice just don't happen in games.
 #41997  by Furmanoid
 Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:27 pm
This is slightly off subject again, but now the Aiken County jamboree is cancelled. And the SCHSL appears to be considering another truncated season like last year. It may be that sports as we’ve known them are over. This is what I feared all along. The decision rule ( as we call it in the risk business) is now based on a risk of <1/1,000,000 so we will never be able to do anything again since everything exceeds that risk level.
 #42322  by FUBeAR
 Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:35 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:30 pm
This makes what Wofford and Chattanooga did in the spring not possible, thankfully.
SoCon, should dubbed it, like the “Rooney Rule,” as the “FraudQuitta Rule”
 #42325  by The Jackal
 Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:23 am
soconjohn wrote:
This makes what Wofford and Chattanooga did in the spring not possible, thankfully.
Still technically possible, they just count as losses.

These rules will be common in athletics going forward. With fans back in the stands, you are going to be punished for not following protocols and forcing teams to lose money because of your bad decision making.

I know folks were disappointed in the spring, but at least we can sit here in the fall and be proud that our university kept their act together and didn't quit.
 #42329  by Affirm
 Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:09 am
The Jackal wrote:
soconjohn wrote:

These rules will be common in athletics going forward. With fans back in the stands, you are going to be punished for not following protocols and forcing teams to lose money because of your bad decision making.

I know folks were disappointed in the spring, but at least we can sit here in the fall and be proud that our university kept their act together and didn't quit.
It could be us this season having to cancel and forfeit during the season, causing us to drop in the conference standings. Hope not.
 #42330  by Roundball
 Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:15 am
Assuming both teams have to send in test results at the same time, I wonder what happens if both report covid issues? Do both teams show a forfeit? Is it declared a no contest?
 #42332  by apaladin
 Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:33 am
If a player/coach is vaccinated which hopefully 90+ percent are they do not have to quarantine/isolate if in contact with infected one. Players are not tested regularly if vaccinated. This is a huge improvement over last year. So chances of a team not having enough players to play should be really small. FBS played last fall with few cancellations without the vaccine.
 #42333  by apaladin
 Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:35 am
affirm wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:09 am
The Jackal wrote:
soconjohn wrote:

It could be us this season having to cancel and forfeit during the season, causing us to drop in the conference standings. Hope not.
Prolly not. I think CCH said the team/staff was 90-95 percent vaccinated.
 #42334  by apaladin
 Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:36 am
Roundball wrote:
Assuming both teams have to send in test results at the same time, I wonder what happens if both report covid issues? Do both teams show a forfeit? Is it declared a no contest?
There is no regular testing for vaccinated peeps. Only unvaccinated are subject to regular testing which should be very few.
 #42339  by gman84
 Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:18 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:36 am
Roundball wrote:
There is no regular testing for vaccinated peeps. Only unvaccinated are subject to regular testing which should be very few.
Not true. There is still testing of vaccinated players and staff. My son, who is vaccinated, is tested weekly.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.