• Furman Preseason Previews

#42291  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:35 am
I agree with your analysis of this. Bottom line - at least in my view - is that the difference between these being successful plays and not successful plays is pretty small. I think Furman will get this ironed out.
 #42314  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:08 pm
I had missed this interview with Hendrix in the Greenville News. I think this bit hits the nail on the head.
“You always look back at what you’ve got to fix and we had a chance to win every game. We’ve just got to find a way to make a few plays. We had a couple of special teams plays that basically decided games. All that stuff is correctable,” Furman coach Clay Hendrix said Monday. “We’ve just got to get some confidence, particularly offensively. We’ve been pretty good offensively the whole time we’ve been here and we’ve got as good a players as we’ve had.

“As the game evolves, people take advantage and play you a certain way and you’ve got to have answers. You have to adjust as you go. I think that’s probably the No. 1 thing we didn’t handle as well as we should have from a staff standpoint and from my standpoint.”
https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/ ... 090117002/
 #42317  by fupaladin01
 Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:44 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:52 am
On the play above vs. Citadel HS makes the wrong read as their is a big hole if he keeps and turns up field after he fakes to the FB, prolly at least a 5 yd gain. On the above play vs. Mercer that play is useless. Thats the one that went for negative yards every time Saturday.

Question: Did Luke Shiflett participate in “scrimmage” Saturday?
Shiflett threw some passes Saturday after Hamp and Jace. He wore #2. Expect him to return to WR role by NCA&T.
apaladin liked this
 #42335  by Jasper
 Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:37 am
The Jackal wrote:
I had missed this interview with Hendrix in the Greenville News. I think this bit hits the nail on the head.
“You always look back at what you’ve got to fix and we had a chance to win every game. We’ve just got to find a way to make a few plays. We had a couple of special teams plays that basically decided games. All that stuff is correctable,” Furman coach Clay Hendrix said Monday. “We’ve just got to get some confidence, particularly offensively. We’ve been pretty good offensively the whole time we’ve been here and we’ve got as good a players as we’ve had.

“As the game evolves, people take advantage and play you a certain way and you’ve got to have answers. You have to adjust as you go. I think that’s probably the No. 1 thing we didn’t handle as well as we should have from a staff standpoint and from my standpoint.”
IMO, CH took the first step in correcting a mistake from the spring. Why tell the opposition what you are planning on doing and then do exactly that when they set up for it? It's fine to say that you want to run the ball. But if the D is designed to stop that run with 9 men in the box, you have to adjust. We did not do that and it was costly. IF he makes sure adjustments are made than good for him for recognizing and admitting a problem. Our QB and O line play was not nearly as bad as it looked at times last season. They were simply outnumbered.
 #42336  by apaladin
 Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:42 am
Peeps could stop the run by putting 8-9 peeps in the box because the passing game was hapless. We did not have a receiver that could not be covered 1 on 1. That has to change.
 #42337  by Jasper
 Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:43 am
fupaladin01 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:44 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:52 am
On the play above vs. Citadel HS makes the wrong read as their is a big hole if he keeps and turns up field after he fakes to the FB, prolly at least a 5 yd gain. On the above play vs. Mercer that play is useless. Thats the one that went for negative yards every time Saturday.

Question: Did Luke Shiflett participate in “scrimmage” Saturday?
Shiflett threw some passes Saturday after Hamp and Jace. He wore #2. Expect him to return to WR role by NCA&T.
I was wondering who #2 was. He ran at QB in practices as well and looked pretty good. It seems to me that CH is not sure any of these QB walk-ons will be ready to fill in if needed and he is working Shiflett there. he is a very good athlete and may well be the best option. Besides, we already have a bunch of good receivers. I would be surprised if they move him back to wideout permanently. He looked much more poised than he did last year.
 #42341  by The Jackal
 Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:46 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:42 am
Peeps could stop the run by putting 8-9 peeps in the box because the passing game was hapless. We did not have a receiver that could not be covered 1 on 1. That has to change.

#42342  by The Jackal
 Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:51 am
Jasper wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:37 am
The Jackal wrote:

IMO, CH took the first step in correcting a mistake from the spring. Why tell the opposition what you are planning on doing and then do exactly that when they set up for it? It's fine to say that you want to run the ball. But if the D is designed to stop that run with 9 men in the box, you have to adjust. We did not do that and it was costly. IF he makes sure adjustments are made than good for him for recognizing and admitting a problem. Our QB and O line play was not nearly as bad as it looked at times last season. They were simply outnumbered.

Boiled down, we had some execution issues. That resulted in getting behind the chains. That results in not sustaining drives.

I'm inclined to think that our coaching staff overcooked things a little bit in the spring. I think we will get that remedied.
Jasper liked this
 #42360  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:49 am
AstroDin wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:04 am
Corners and Safeties…
https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2021/8/ ... eties.aspx

According to this, the only starting spot on defense Furman needs to fill is at one CB spot. Appears that Yates is the most likely guy to start opposite Blackshear. Micah Robinson, I suppose, will get some time as well with Chizik and Domino out for a bit.

Yates will be fun to watch. Highly recruited kid. He's listed as a redshirt freshman, but he's already been through fall practice, played in 7 games, and now been through camp. He earned playing time last spring inside of a group of really talented CB depth.
 #42363  by AstroDin
 Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:33 am
Champ did have a lot of offers out HS including Liberty and SMU.
Not sure if people are interested in this stuff, but his Dad runs a very interesting recruiting analysis company.
https://twitter.com/CoryRAanalytics

also - I expect to see Micah Robinson get a lot of PT this season.
Micah was universally rated a 3 star by all recruiting services.
https://247sports.com/player/micah-robinson-46082546/

We need to count ourselves lucky to have Coach Wright on staff.
He's doing a great job - coaching two positions and he just delivered a bounty of high-profile commits for 22.
gman84 liked this
 #42366  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:16 am
WR Preview

https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2021/8/ ... 80SKI5_8I4

Just a small note, but it looks like Deluca and Peterson are technically flip-flopped from their prior positions. Deluca is listed as a flanker (off the line to the TE side) and Peterson as a split end (on the line opposite the TE).

Interesting snippet:
Luke Shiflett (6-2, 201, R-So.), who has battled injuries since joining the program in 2019 following a year at Middle Tennessee State, may contribute at wide receiver if he doesn't end of making the full-time switch to quarterback.
Last edited by The Jackal on Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #42367  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:18 am
The coaching staff has talked about it, but I still didn't see a huge commitment to 3 WR sets in the spring. Arguably, the depth wasn't there.

I will again be interested to see whether Furman starts looking at 3WR sets some this fall. Ryan Miller adds that dimension a bit as a TE with great pass catching skills. I'd love to see what Furman could do, though, with, say, Deluca, Peterson, and Harris on the field at the same time.
 #42372  by AstroDin
 Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:12 pm
I'm still on the Noah Henderson bandwagon… he's a big physical playmaker.
He could be an important factor this season.
MNORM liked this
 #42374  by apaladin
 Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:00 pm
Jackal, I see you had to go thru several games to find a couple of decent pass plays.🤣🤣🤣

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.