• Quarterback Position

#42271  by fu77fan
 Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:15 pm
I just happened to look at the roster. I was surprised to see that we have 8 quarterbacks on the roster. That seems like a lot of quarterbacks to me. I realize some like Shiplett might play other positions .

I personally do not care who the QB is , I simply want someone to step up!!!!!
 #42274  by apaladin
 Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:44 am
fu77fan wrote:
I just happened to look at the roster. I was surprised to see that we have 8 quarterbacks on the roster. That seems like a lot of quarterbacks to me. I realize some like Shiplett might play other positions .

Same here but the only one we will see is Hamp Sisson.(at least for the time being) No one else has taken a snap in college. Let’s hope he is up to the task.
 #42278  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:22 am
fu77fan wrote:

This has certainly been an area of focus for the coaching staff in terms of getting walk-ons into the program and trying to build depth.

It will be interesting to see what Furman does with Shiflett. He was listed as a QB, then moved to WR when the UNC-C transfer came on. That kid is no longer on the roster, and Shiflett is now listed as QB/WR.
 #42279  by Furmanoid
 Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:51 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:44 am
fu77fan wrote:

Same here but the only one we will see is Hamp Sisson.(at least for the time being) No one else has taken a snap in college. Let’s hope he is up to the task.
But you know, nobody has taken a snap in college until they’ve taken a snap in college. I’m not sure how it matters when that snap happens. I wouldn’t count on having the luxury of 4th quarter mop up action to get guys experience.
AstroDin liked this
 #42281  by AstroDin
 Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:49 am
^^^ ditto
One way or other a QB other than Hamp will see the field this fall.
Jace Wilson is the other full-scholarship QB on the roster
Next year, Carson Jones of Maryville, TN will join the team - Carson is also a full-scholarship.
Several of the walk-on QBs were recruited as PWOs. From what I've seen as a group there is a lot of ability.
Charles Watson was an all-state selection at Charlotte Latin.
Gabe Jonson was a three-year starter - and his team made it into NC AAAA third-round playoffs all three years.
Trey Wainwright is the USA Today Florida Offensive Player of the year.

Sisson could graduate after this season or come back next season. If Sisson comes back (I assume he will) for the first time in YEARS Furman will have the ability to build future QB depth. I know we don't want to keep kicking the can down the road but in 2023, Jace will be in year three and Carson Jones will be in year two, and hopefully one or two of the walk-on QBs steps in at #3.
 #42283  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:09 am
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:49 am
^^^ ditto
One way or other a QB other than Hamp will see the field this fall.
Jace Wilson is the other full-scholarship QB on the roster
Next year, Carson Jones of Maryville, TN will join the team - Carson is also a full-scholarship.
Several of the walk-on QBs were recruited as PWOs. From what I've seen as a group there is a lot of ability.
Charles Watson was an all-state selection at Charlotte Latin.
Gabe Jonson was a three-year starter - and his team made it into NC AAAA third-round playoffs all three years.
Trey Wainwright is the USA Today Florida Offensive Player of the year.

Sisson could graduate after this season or come back next season. If Sisson comes back (I assume he will) for the first time in YEARS Furman will have the ability to build future QB depth. I know we don't want to keep kicking the can down the road but in 2023, Jace will be in year three and Carson Jones will be in year two, and hopefully one or two of the walk-on QBs steps in at #3.

I have no idea what happened to Minson. Not my business. Still, he becomes another chapter in Furman's strange saga of struggling to build out a depth chart at QB.

I'm not sure when it was the last time Furman was able to have a QB start two seasons and then hand the reigns to a qualified heir apparent that wasn't a freshman. Maybe Ingle Martin - Renaldo Gray - Jordan Sorrells

I saw one football writer note that with COVID protocols, every NFL team is preparing to have two QBs ready to be the starter. You never know when a guys is going to have to quarantine or unexpectedly miss some time.
 #42286  by Furmanoid
 Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:59 am
Depth is good but more than 4 is a crowd. I don’t see how they can get enough work at practice to really develop.

I was hoping that out of this cattle call SOMEBODY would be clearly better than what we saw in the spring. So much for that I guess. So I hope the coaches have rewritten the playbook to get optimal performance out of our guy. Like Jesse Jackson used to say,”Don’t worry ‘bout what you don’t have. Use whatcha got!”
 #42292  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:38 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Depth is good but more than 4 is a crowd. I don’t see how they can get enough work at practice to really develop.

I was hoping that out of this cattle call SOMEBODY would be clearly better than what we saw in the spring. So much for that I guess. So I hope the coaches have rewritten the playbook to get optimal performance out of our guy. Like Jesse Jackson used to say,”Don’t worry ‘bout what you don’t have. Use whatcha got!”

Hendrix mentioned on the Scott broadcast that starting this week Furman will cut down the primary reps in practice and slim down the playbook to focus in on what they are going to bring into a game.
dornb liked this
 #42300  by apaladin
 Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:08 pm
Furmanoid wrote:

Hate to disappoint you but the playbook looked exactly the same at the scrimmage Saturday. The stand still handoff 8 yds deep and run for your life. The sideway option where there is no option just a straight pitch for a 5 yd loss. The insane straight sideways pass behind the line of scrimmage if perfectly executed gets 2 yds max etc, etc. Of course I am sure this was all just a smoke screen and we won’t see these come game time. 😳 You know the definition of insanity is trying to get different results from doing the same things. That’s Furman’s offense in a nutshell.
 #42301  by Roundball
 Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:12 pm
apaladin wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:

Hate to disappoint you but the playbook looked exactly the same at the scrimmage Saturday. The stand still handoff 8 yds deep and run for your life. The sideway option where there is no option just a straight pitch for a 5 yd loss. The insane straight sideways pass behind the line of scrimmage if perfectly executed gets 2 yds max etc, etc. Of course I am sure this was all just a smoke screen and we won’t see these come game time. 😳 You know the definition of insanity is trying to get different results from doing the same things. That’s Furman’s offense in a nutshell.
I’m thinking that maybe you should place a huge bet on us losing by 2 scores. Is that 2 safeties, 2 field goals, 2 touchdowns, or a combo of two of those?
 #42304  by AstroDin
 Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:39 pm
apaladin wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:

You don't really think Furman would show its cards in an open house scrimmage - adding while running lots of young players in and out?

Concerning all the quarterbacks on the roster - you forget we run scout teams all year. Many a walkon has earned PT with scout team performance.

And as far as numbers go — have you looked at the depth at running back?
Tailback - 6
Runningback - 6
out of that - at least 7 maybe 8 are on scholarship.
 #42307  by apaladin
 Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:33 pm
Roundball wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:12 pm
apaladin wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:

I’m thinking that maybe you should place a huge bet on us losing by 2 scores. Is that 2 safeties, 2 field goals, 2 touchdowns, or a combo of two of those?
Thinking like 10-14 points only because the defense will be on the field most of the game.
 #42309  by gman84
 Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:52 pm
Dang....I guess I won't go to the game since it's a forgone conclusion we are going to get stomped. :D I'm going to wait until 9/4/21 to pass judgement on our offense.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #42310  by FUBeAR
 Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:53 pm
FWIW - Samford has 10 QB’s & 20 WR’s on their current online roster.
 #42311  by apaladin
 Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:02 pm
gman84 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:52 pm
Dang....I guess I won't go to the game since it's a forgone conclusion we are going to get stomped. :D I'm going to wait until 9/4/21 to pass judgement on our offense.
Oh I’m definitely going to the game, can’t wait. That’s why they play the game. Don’t think 10-14 points is a stomp. What I think means absolutely nothing. Like I said I hope I get totally shocked and surprised and we roll.
gman84 liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.