• Furman Preseason Previews

#41926  by AstroDin
 Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:41 am
First Preview…

Defensive Line
https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2021/8/ ... -line.aspx

Highlights
The core of the Paladin defensive front, which covers three positions — nose guard, tackle, and end — features five players who have combined to log 144 games, 40 starts, 259 tackles, 35.5 tackles for-loss, and 11 sacks. The group includes Landon Lawrence (6-3, 260, 5th), Parker Stokes (6-0, 288, 5th), Matt Sochovka (6-4, 289, R-Sr.), London Lewis (6-4, 291, Sr.), and Cameron Coleman (6-3, 304, R-Jr.).

"We believe we can play two-deep on a regular basis and, in some cases, feel like we've got a third guy who can go," added Hendrix, who sees several others poised to contribute. Among them are Jeremiah Jackson (6-0, 256, R-Fr.) at end, nose guard Seth Johnson (6-0, 301, R-Fr.), and tackles Trey Rogers (6-3, 255, Jr.) and Jack Barton (6-4, 264, R-So.).
 #41936  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:45 am
It is a luxury to be able to rotate defensive linemen into a game.

Furman has also cross trained a number of these guys, so we can - and frequently do - shift out of the base looks and give offenses more to think about.
 #41937  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:59 am
Scanning back through old videos of the defensive line, I came across this one against UTC.

Interesting look here. It's a passing situation, and Vaughn puts two BANs on the field - Hope (81) and Clark (44). I can't read the numbers, but it looks also like both ILBs are SPURs as well. One is Wilkins, who frequently plays inside in passing situations.

Instead of Clark and Hope lining up opposite one another, they are lined up on the same side of the ball. Hope is in a three point well outside. Clark is in a two point inside.

Interesting play design by Vaughn. While it's a 4-2-5 look, Furman is using 2 defensive linemen, 2 OLB/DE hybrids, 2 LB/S hybrids, 2 Safeties, and 3 CBs. Positionless defense of a sort.

You can see the value of London Lewis here at NG. UTC has six blocking four, and Lewis ends up drawing two blockers and allows Hope to get 1v1. Not sure who the RE is, but he also draws a lot of attention and clears the way for Clark to loop around.

DeepPurple, AstroDin liked this
 #41959  by AstroDin
 Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:13 am
The OL preview is up - lots of interesting stuff:
https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2021/8/ ... -line.aspx

Some things that caught my eye:
"I'm really pleased with the changes we've made and am excited about our prospects there," said Hendrix following Monday's practice. "Coach Duke is doing a great job with those guys, who have responded to him. Though it's early, I think it's showing up on the field already. It's also allowed me to get back involved a bit myself."

This comment related to Pearson Toomey > “Toomey displayed great promise early in the 2019 campaign before taking a redshirt. He had his 2020 (spring '21) season erased after undergoing labrum surgery.”

"Pearson's a guy we thought might have been a starter for us last season before his injury. He's very talented and gives us a chance to be as good there as we've been in our time here."
 #41966  by The Jackal
 Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:59 pm
Piecing that together, it looks like the starting lineup will be something close to this:

OT: Toomey
OG: Johanning
C: Jumper
OG: Daniel
OT: Anderson

With the way Hendrix likes to rotate players, Furman should be in a good spot even having to replace a few starters. Most of these guys have a lot of experience to this point.

Had not realized that Anderson is 6'5 and right about 300 lbs. That's not quite Joel Bell territory, but a big fella.
Davemeister liked this
 #41974  by Jasper
 Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:08 pm
A few observations from today's practice:
As expected, D is ahead of the offense in running the ball. A couple of kids who stood out are 1. London Lewis- this guy is huge and very agile. After getting some time last year, he could have a big season at the Nose. Fast and agile for a near 300 pounder 2. Elijah McCoy - this kid just has a nose for the football no matter where he plays and has proven that at 3 different positions over his career. Looks completely healed. The secondary is very good with Travis Blackshear standing out.

In the QB mini camp, Hamp continues to pass the ball better. Jace looks very comfortable running the option and made some excellent reads. Two of the walk-ons can really throw the ball. Watson(#10) was on the money with every throw he made and Thelemann (17) has a cannon. There may be a surprise in this group.
The receivers look very good during this time. Joshua Harris is a real threat deep and made a couple of freakish catches today while tightly covered. This kid should play right away and we should throw the ball to him often. Kelton Gunn looks good and RB Grant Robinson of the texas group looks special both running and catching the ball. Devin appears lighter and faster than last season. I think he is better this way. Good practice. Kids are enthusiastic. Only a few walking wounded so far and no one looks badly hurt that I saw.
FUBeAR, Paladin82, PalaDad and 2 others liked this
 #41976  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:27 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:01 pm
Jasper, At QB you didn’t mention Colt Minson. Has he fallen behind the others?
I wouldn't take any thoughts of non-Furman coaches posting on this forum as indicative of what the actual Furman coaches are thinking.
 #41978  by FUBeAR
 Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:30 am
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
I wouldn't take any thoughts of non-Furman coaches posting on this forum as indicative of what the actual Furman coaches are thinking.
Would they be non-Furman Coaches or Furman non-Coaches instead? Furman Coaches non doesn’t really make sense and also seems grammatically improper somehow.
 #41981  by Furmanoid
 Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:34 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:30 am
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Would they be non-Furman Coaches or Furman non-Coaches instead? Furman Coaches non doesn’t really make sense and also seems grammatically improper somehow.
And even non-Furman non-coaches can make educated guesses about QB pecking order based on how many reps they get. You certainly can’t telling anything by listening to what real Furman coaches say.
FUBeAR, Jasper liked this
 #41985  by Jasper
 Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:07 am
apaladin wrote:
I did not see # 5 at all. He may be one of the dinged up few. I really don't know.
 #41989  by apaladin
 Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:10 pm
Jasper wrote:
apaladin wrote:
I did not see # 5 at all. He may be one of the dinged up few. I really don't know.
We might need to check the transfer portal. :shock:
 #41991  by FUBeAR
 Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:12 pm
apaladin wrote:
Jasper wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Not on Furman’s online roster. Was he previously listed?
 #41992  by Jasper
 Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:25 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:12 pm
apaladin wrote:
Jasper wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Not on Furman’s online roster. Was he previously listed?
yes, he was.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.