• Reasons for Optimism in Fall 2021?

#41907  by Furmanoid
 Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:54 pm
The mandate will help if it stops testing of the vaccinated. Not sure that makes medical sense, but you can’t have positive tests without testing.
 #41908  by apaladin
 Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:05 pm
Roundball wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:31 pm
A decision like this from the SoCon would give me more optimism about an uninterrupted season.
So you are totally against freedom, which this country was built on? I’m all for the vaccine but not at the expense of our freedom.
Paladin575 liked this
 #41910  by Roundball
 Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:43 pm
apaladin wrote:
Roundball wrote:
A decision like this from the SoCon would give me more optimism about an uninterrupted season.
So you are totally against freedom, which this country was built on? I’m all for the vaccine but not at the expense of our freedom.
Let's just stop all required vaccinations. People's freedom to not get vaccinated is infringing on my right to stay healthy, hug my loved ones in a nursing home, visit with a loved one or friend at the hospital, and possibly watch a football game or basketball game. The freedom some want is killing them, their loved ones, and friends. That kind of "free" thinking is going to keep this virus around for too long. Makes no common sense at all. Sorry, but that is not freedom. It is idiocy.
AstroDin liked this
 #41911  by FUBeAR
 Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:28 pm
The MAAC is not a governmental body. Players & Coaches are FREE to not play for or work for MAAC Teams.

Roundball is FREE to take whatever measures he chooses are acceptable to him to maintain his own health as long as those measures do not infringe upon the FREEDOM of others. Such measures could include not visiting his loved ones in nursing homes or moving those loved ones to alternate accommodations of his choosing. Roundball is also FREE to not watch (assuming “attend” was intended) football & basketball games and/or is FREE to take whatever measures he feels he needs to take to attend those games in a way that he will feel his health is not at risk as long as those measures do not infringe upon the FREEDOM of others.

FUBeAR, currently, is FREE to decide if he does or does not wish to be vaccinated for Covid. Choosing not to be vaccinated may limit his employment and/or enjoyment opportunities because of other people and/or entities exercising their FREEDOMS, but as long as he is not deprived of any FREEDOM guaranteed by the US Constitution, such as if he were compelled by a governmental body to undergo a medical procedure against his will (most certainly a violation of the 4th Amendment), then he is FREE.
Furmanoid, tim, FurmanMom60 liked this
 #41912  by FurmAlum
 Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:09 pm
apaladin wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Vaccinations against Rubella, Mumps, Small Pox, etc are required to attend Public School. Is this an infringement on "Freedom"? No its not. It protects the health of all Americans.

To have a vaccination that prevents a potentially deadly disease distributed free of charge and then have people refuse to take it is the definition of stupidity.
Furmanoid, bj93, Roundball and 2 others liked this
 #41913  by FUBeAR
 Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:53 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:09 pm
apaladin wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Vaccinations against Rubella, Mumps, Small Pox, etc are required to attend Public School. Is this an infringement on "Freedom"? No its not. It protects the health of all Americans.

To have a vaccination that prevents a potentially deadly disease distributed free of charge and then have people refuse to take it is the definition of stupidity.
FREE Americans are not (currently) compelled to send their children to public schools.

You may be correct about your perception of the definition of stupidity, but IF a government forces citizens to undergo medical procedures against their will, that is surely the definition of authoritarianism. Freedom of the people cannot thrive and will not survive within an authoritarian government.
Paladin82, tim, dornb and 2 others liked this
 #41914  by Furmanoid
 Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:59 pm
Will the mandate really accomplish anything with respect to public health? Probably not. I can’t imagine that much of the targeted group is unvaccinated or in any danger of serious illness from Covid. But this stupid anti vaccine stuff just gives a certain group of people an excuse to take away fun stuff. Their goal is clearly to make life a total drag for everybody and the anti vaccination nutsos are their biggest ally’s but too stupid to realize it.
76MrMoto liked this
 #41916  by FurmAlum
 Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:28 pm
I agree that no one should be forced to do a medical procedure that he/she does not want to do. I guess what I'm having a hard time understanding is why so many people do not want to get the vaccine?

Over 600,000 people have died of Covid. I'm not sure out of how many cases, but my guess is between 2,000,000 and 3,000,000 cases. Over 150,000,000 people have been vaccinated and how many have died? I haven't heard of anyone, but there must be a few.

Local doctors at Vanderbilt have said that 97% of the people in the hospital for Covid are unvaccinated.

Where is the logic in the "I don't want to get vaccinated" crowd? I'm not finding any.
 #41918  by Furmanoid
 Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:46 pm
Well there are the loud, crazy anti Vax types but I don’t know how numerous they really are. The more you argue with them, the more they dig in their heels. Then there are tons of people who just pretty much never do what they’re supposed to do. Are your average street criminals going to go get vaccinated? There are lots of people who just never go to the doctor. There are two very large demographic groups who aren’t getting vaccinated much but they are Democrats so nobody talks about them. One has been told the government wants to kill them with medical experiments (part of CRT training). The other is afraid of deportation. I know people who can’t get vaccinated for medical reasons. It’s a mixed bag. The notion of vaccinating 80% was probably never realistic. But the more, the better.
 #41920  by apaladin
 Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:42 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
I agree that no one should be forced to do a medical procedure that he/she does not want to do. I guess what I'm having a hard time understanding is why so many people do not want to get the vaccine?

Over 600,000 people have died of Covid. I'm not sure out of how many cases, but my guess is between 2,000,000 and 3,000,000 cases. Over 150,000,000 people have been vaccinated and how many have died? I haven't heard of anyone, but there must be a few.

Local doctors at Vanderbilt have said that 97% of the people in the hospital for Covid are unvaccinated.

Where is the logic in the "I don't want to get vaccinated" crowd? I'm not finding any.
One correction. 600,000 have not died from Covid. Maybe 10 percent of 600,000 died from just Covid. Prolly less. At least 90% had other conditions that was the actual cause, Covid just helped.
Paladin575 liked this
 #41922  by FUBeAR
 Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:17 am
FurmAlum wrote:

Data presented in this thread show that 42 vaccinated people from Virginia have died from Covid. Virginia’s population represents about 2.6% of the US Population, so we can extrapolate that about 1600 vaccinated people in the US have died from Covid. That may be WAY less than the number of unvaccinated people that have died from Covid in the US (since vaccines were widely available), but it is not “none” and one might be hard-pressed to describe 1600 lost lives as “a few.”

Logically, we can completely eradicate the pain & suffering caused by Athlete’s Foot via compelling all US Citizens to have both feet amputated. Should we do that? Of course not. Here’s why…

Some people, logically (perhaps debatably), feel that Athlete’s Foot is just not that serious of a condition & they can beat it if they catch it.

Some people have already ‘beaten’ Athlete’s Foot and they, logically (perhaps debatably), feel if they catch it again, they can beat it again.

Some people feel, logically, that have already had & beaten Athlete’s Foot, they have established a tolerance for it & perhaps their bodies are already even better able to fight & beat it than during their prior bout with the condition.

Some people, logically, rely on their personal experience (or other (possibly) reliable resources) who have related that they treated their Athlete’s Foot with alternative treatments and have beaten the condition.

Some people, logically, feel that amputation is just too drastic of a preventative methodology to use to prevent Athlete’s Foot despite the 100% efficacy rate and the known success rate of amputations.

Some people are, logically, skeptical of prescribed & widely-accepted medical treatments. Some people, logically, recall a time that Thalidomide was prescribed to expectant mothers in about 50 countries & ultimately was to blame for deaths & severe birth defects of / in as many as 150,000 children. This became known after being marketed as safe/prescribed for over 5 years. Foot Amputation may have a long history of success without as many unknowns, but not on a mass basis. Think how shoe/sock manufacturers and their families might be impacted!

Some people may, logically, surmise that if Amputation has to be ‘pushed’ so hard by so many to reach widespread (enough) compliance, maybe there are unknown reasons for that. Some people, logically, don’t believe that the 10 calls/day they get about their car warranties are really looking out for their best interests.

(Hint: Replace “Athlete’s Foot” with “Covid” and “amputation” with “vaccination” in the statements above and you just may, logically, come to realize why there are Un-Stupid & Logical people who are choosing to not receive a vaccination or are not hurrying to receive it. Those people may have conducted their own logical (yet, of course, debatable) risk assessment FOR THEM and determined that the potential cost is greater FOR THEM than the potential benefit.)
FurmanMom60 liked this
 #41923  by soconjohn
 Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:19 am
Like a cold, it will continue to mutate and you will continually have to get shots...that's the reality of it no one tells you...100% vaccinations won't eradicate this thing...I hate to be Debbie downer, but I have a feeling it's here for good and something we just have to live with...the vaccine just makes it survivable and manageable but won't prevent it for being spread or mutating.... having said that, it's a good idea to get the shot...but that's not going to make it go away...it will just protect you, but it doesn't guarantee you won't spread it or it won't mutate...just my opinion....I sure hope I am wrong because I really want things to be normal...maybe what will happen is that like the flu, we will just have to get a shot every year and it won't be as bad as when it initially hit as a pandemic.
 #41924  by Roundball
 Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:34 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:42 pm
FurmAlum wrote:

One correction. 600,000 have not died from Covid. Maybe 10 percent of 600,000 died from just Covid. Prolly less. At least 90% had other conditions that was the actual cause, Covid just helped.
Your “correction” is just flat out wrong. Stick to the facts, please.
GOAT liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.