• New Round of Realignment Now Following UT & OU Action

#41765  by Affirm
 Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:07 pm
tim wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:53 am
OCD is a terrible thing.
I fail to see how that comment adds anything productive to the discussion. Maybe you will be so kind as to explain. Are you saying that the nation puts too much emphasis on and spends too much money and time on college football? Or maybe you are saying that Furman puts too much emphasis on and spends too much money and time on college football. Just guessing. I don't know what you are saying.
(We are smart enough to not try to joke about a mental illness in regard to any individual, so I trust that is not what you were saying.)
 #41771  by Furmanoid
 Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:03 pm
OK affirm, it looks like realignment will likely reduce the number of FCS games against SEC teams. And maybe the other conferences will choose to play crappy FBS teams rather than FCS teams to avoid “cupcake schedule” accusations. So yes, FCS teams need to be planning for life without whoring themselves out for beat downs against the FBS. It was a weird system all along and I’m OK with it dying.
 #41773  by Sad Din
 Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:59 pm
If ESPN will put pn Corn Hole champsionships, there is a market for FCS games. Just need to find the right sched

In US, Friday is HS FB, Sat is College and Sun is Pro.

Now need to change that.

Maybe HS is Thurs, FCS is Friday, FBS is Sat and Pro Sunday. Also, dont be surprised for more games during the week
 #41776  by FUBeAR
 Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:53 pm
HS JV (& Frosh) is Thurs
 #41777  by Affirm
 Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:45 am
Furmanoid wrote:
OK affirm, it looks like realignment will likely reduce the number of FCS games against SEC teams. And maybe the other conferences will choose to play crappy FBS teams rather than FCS teams to avoid “cupcake schedule” accusations. So yes, FCS teams need to be planning for life without whoring themselves out for beat downs against the FBS. It was a weird system all along and I’m OK with it dying.
One unknown is how fast it may die, since the FBS realignments and conference expansions could take anywhere from a year or a very few years, to many years.
Another unknown is whether and how realignments and expansions are going to affect FCS conferences and their makeups, and FCS schedules.
And another is the money that FCS gets from playing FBS opponents. How much does it really matter to FCS programs, and specifically to Furman? What, if anything, will need to change without that money?
Another unknown is the future of the NCAA, how it is going to change, possibly what is going to replace it, and how that’s all going to affect schools at the FCS level.
Yes, I know that about this entire situation there is a lot about which we can say “I don’t know, no one knows, it’s all speculation and a waste of time to think about.” I also know that much of, maybe most of, what gets posted on UFFP is of the same nature. So I was just hoping to see some serious thought and discussion about possible effects on Furman football. I guess we’ll just ignore it and talk about what has happened after it has happened.
We can just do our best to enjoy what we do have and know about, while we have it
Nevertheless, I will continue to follow the FBS level changes and try to notice how, if at all, they are going to eventually impact Furman and programs similar to Furman.
Finally, to those who don’t like to read more than 1 or 2 lines of text in any UFFP post, I apologize; and I will try to do better to hold any future posts to only 1 or 2 lines. No promises except that I will try.
 #41781  by Affirm
 Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:34 am
Furmanoid wrote:
reduces FCS vs SEC & vs all FBS eventually. fans & players get excited about these? These disappearing harm player recruitment & fan support, thus our program?
 #41786  by Affirm
 Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:31 pm
LA TIMES article 3 hrs ago. Some brief quotes/thoughts: “One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” - PAC-12 commish George Kliavkoff quoting Bryant McGill.
 #41794  by Affirm
 Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:02 pm
8th/final of my present posts related to LA TIMES article of 3 hrs ago: (My opinion:) At every level D-1, for AD’s, for presidents, for conference commissioners, and for fans across the country, “realignment” is on the radar.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.