• NC A&T - Sept. 4

#41744  by Affirm
 Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:15 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:59 pm
affirm wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:19 pm
I do not like that Citadel has more appearances than any one other SoCon team.
At the same time, I would acknowledge that they may be the overall best-known school in the SoCon - or if not them, my guess is that it would be VMI.
Citadel - or possibly VMI - may have played more football games against schools currently Power 5, than any other current SoCon schools have played. So I am saying that specific aspect of football history, in addition to other history, would make those 2 the overall best-known.
Again, it’s not that I like that, but I believe it may be the truth.
Since 2010 Citadel has played one FBS game per year, much like FU. Since 2003 VMI has only played 3 Power 5 teams, Duke and Virginia twice, so that argument doesn’t hold much water. VMI’s last P5 game was in 2013. Citadel and VMI are off the radar in all other sports. I did see a game show a few weeks ago and the question was name the military college of SC. No one knew the answer! :D
Thank you for your report and information. Good response.
Maybe the network producers just wanted at least 1 trip to Charleston. Charleston has considerably more appeal than any other SoCon city.
And the network can highlight the military aspect of Citadel students all in their in uniforms. I’m NOT saying that or anything else justifies Citadel getting more games broadcast. I do not like that Citadel is getting more games broadcast.
apaladin liked this
 #41745  by Rokawaylifer
 Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:43 pm
Bear, perhaps best quote ever. Right up there with give me liberty or give me death. Btw I retract what I said earlier when I had been looking on line at pics of new end zone. I stood in the end zone last Saturday during one of my pilgrimmages for renewal and can say without equivocation that it’s gorgeous. Well done.

=FUBeAR post_id=41654 time=1627529274 user_id=49]
Davemeister wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:06 pm
We need to make sure we are not outnumbered by the Visitors and fill the Home side too!
Yep…we don’t wanna be Outmanned, Outfanned, and OutBand*…again.

* Quip Credits (circa 1982) to Coach Robert E. Caldwell, i.e., NOT a FUBeAR original
[/quote]
FUBeAR, FU69 liked this
 #41747  by Affirm
 Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:25 am
People need to look at NCA&T’s 31-5 record last 3 seasons.
Includes beating Elon, Gardner-Webb twice (by 39 & 42), ECU, Charlotte.
They play Duke fairly often.
Will play Duke right after us.
Play NDSU next year, Wake, JMU, and GA State in the next few years.
Have not won fewer than 9 per season in years.
Tough opponent.
Big game on 9/4 for them and for us.
 #41748  by Davemeister
 Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:09 am
I don't think anyone here is taking this opponent lightly.
 #41749  by Affirm
 Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:37 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:09 am
I don't think anyone here is taking this opponent lightly.
That’s good, but when I say “people need to look at”, I am not meaning just “anyone here” (uffp). I am meaning everyone who is sufficiently or even marginally interested in Furman football, which apparently includes many people not “here”. Hopefully, this opponent will be one that attracts a lot of people who are even marginally interested in Furman football. It is Labor Day weekend. It will be hot. It is afternoon. People need to overcome any reluctance to attend this game. I expect that NCA&T’s people are going to attend in big numbers.
I acknowledge Davemeister already said essentially the same thing on July 28th.
 #41751  by apaladin
 Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:19 pm
I suspect Vegas will have A&T as a 3 to 7 point favorite but a more realistic line would be 10 to 14 points IMHO.
 #41752  by Affirm
 Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:12 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:19 pm
I suspect Vegas will have A&T as a 3 to 7 point favorite but a more realistic line would be 10 to 14 points IMHO.
I generally agree with both of your projections.
 #41753  by Louis Tully
 Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:07 pm
Nonsense. They would have to put up 25-30 to win by 14. No way against our D gives that up and they haven't played in 20 months or so. I think we bust them in the mouth and win 28-17 or better.
DoomedDin1127 liked this
 #41754  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:47 pm
Louis Tully wrote:
Nonsense. They would have to put up 25-30 to win by 14. No way against our D gives that up and they haven't played in 20 months or so. I think we bust them in the mouth and win 28-17 or better.

I agree with you.

As strange as COVID was, there are going to be a number of teams this fall that haven't played a meaningful football game since 2019. A&T is one of them. A&T hasn't played a ranked team since their first week of the 2019 season.

So, A&T will come to Paladin Stadium with the normal game 1 rustiness (as most teams have), but then add a year long layoff. They'll play a Furman team that didn't have a great spring season, but played and will be deeper and healthier than they were in the spring session.
 #41756  by Affirm
 Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:33 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Louis Tully wrote:

I agree with you.

As strange as COVID was, there are going to be a number of teams this fall that haven't played a meaningful football game since 2019. A&T is one of them. A&T hasn't played a ranked team since their first week of the 2019 season.

So, A&T will come to Paladin Stadium with the normal game 1 rustiness (as most teams have), but then add a year long layoff. They'll play a Furman team that didn't have a great spring season, but played and will be deeper and healthier than they were in the spring session.
So you think they cannot put up more than 25 or 30 points on our defense? If true that they cannot, that’s great news!
The last season they played (2019), in their final 3 games they scored 47, 54 (a shutout), and 64.
So I’m focusing on that history.
Who knows what our team can do at this point. Certainly I do not know. Our history lately has been one of disappointments. But maybe you are correct that “there is no way our D gives up 25 points” (and I hope also no way our O gives up 25 points with turnovers); and maybe you are correct that they will be rusty and we will be the opposite of rusty.
It is an interesting game at this point. I hope it will be a good one - for us.
 #41757  by apaladin
 Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:36 pm
Don’t forget our D is on the field a lot because we have a lot of 3 and outs. Definitely will be an interesting game and a barometer for both teams.

Whomever their QB is he will be making his first collegiate start. The top 2 candidates are redshirt juior Jalen Fowler who was the backip in 2019 and played in 7 games. Fowler is from Inman andcDormwn HS. Kingsley IFedi is a transfer from East Carolina and will contend. They have 7 or 8 FBS transfers total including 2 from SC.
 #41759  by The Jackal
 Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:17 am
affirm wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:33 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Louis Tully wrote:

I agree with you.

So you think they cannot put up more than 25 or 30 points on our defense? If true that they cannot, that’s great news!
The last season they played (2019), in their final 3 games they scored 47, 54 (a shutout), and 64.
So I’m focusing on that history.
Who knows what our team can do at this point. Certainly I do not know. Our history lately has been one of disappointments. But maybe you are correct that “there is no way our D gives up 25 points” (and I hope also no way our O gives up 25 points with turnovers); and maybe you are correct that they will be rusty and we will be the opposite of rusty.
It is an interesting game at this point. I hope it will be a good one - for us.

That 2019 Aggie squad was also losing 21-6 in the fourth quarter to the same Charleston Southern team we pummeled two weeks earlier.

They'll be a good team. They aren't likely to be the North Dakota State.
 #41760  by Furmanoid
 Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:16 am
I’m sure glad we played all those games even though we were terrible. Imagine if all the weak spots hadn’t been exposed until the NC A&T game. But they were exposed, and very clear corrective action is being taken.
FU69 liked this
 #41762  by Davemeister
 Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:21 am
We will have to be a much improved team to win on Sept. 4. If we play the way we did against Mercer & Citadel the Aggies will beat the snot out of us.
bj93 liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.