affirm wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:38 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:51 am
affirm wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:22 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:23 am
FUBeAR has it on good authority that FU will be dropping both Men’s & Women’s Basketball to financially support a move of our Football Program to the MVFC as the replacement for NDSU, as the Bison are moving to the MAC to replace Buffalo (makes zoological sense), as the Bulls move to the ACC as a travel partner for Syracuse.

Announcement coming in next 2 weeks. #BookIt
bad joke
Bad joke?

You’re designating FUBeAR’s wry commentary regarding certain posters’ ubiquitous responses to everything from a cataclysmic giant meteor striking TR as ground zero to a QB’s high ankle sprain being compelling reasons to consider deemphasizing or discontinuing Furman Football as nothing more than a “bad joke!”

Where is a link to the Message Board Transfer Portal? FUBeAR needs to evaluate the benefits of taking his talents elsewhere!
I encourage you.
 #41678  by Affirm
 Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:21 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:27 pm
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
FUBeAR has it on good authority that FU will be dropping both Men’s & Women’s Basketball to financially support a move of our Football Program to the MVFC as the replacement for NDSU, as the Bison are moving to the MAC to replace Buffalo (makes zoological sense), as the Bulls move to the ACC as a travel partner for Syracuse.

bad joke
Bad joke?

You’re designating FUBeAR’s wry commentary regarding certain posters’ ubiquitous responses to everything from a cataclysmic giant meteor striking TR as ground zero to a QB’s high ankle sprain being compelling reasons to consider deemphasizing or discontinuing Furman Football as nothing more than a “bad joke!”

Where is a link to the Message Board Transfer Portal? FUBeAR needs to evaluate the benefits of taking his talents elsewhere!
I encourage you.
You may be taking your talents and wry commentary to the Lumberjacks of Stephen F. Austin University, or to the Bears of Mercer University, or to wherever you please. The photo captioned “don’t encourage me too much” seems to signal that it’s going to be SFA.
 #41679  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:31 pm
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:

bad joke
Bad joke?

I encourage you.
You may be taking your talents and wry commentary to the Lumberjacks of Stephen F. Austin University, or to the Bears of Mercer University, or to wherever you please. The photo captioned “don’t encourage me too much” seems to signal that it’s going to be SFA.
Dunno, Mr. Allen…you’ll have to check with FUBeAR’s inner Patrick Bateman
 #41681  by Affirm
 Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:27 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:31 pm
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:

bad joke
Bad joke?

I encourage you.
Dunno, Mr. Allen…you’ll have to check with FUBeAR’s inner Patrick Bateman
OK.
 #41708  by Affirm
 Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:43 am
254 total schools in Division 1
It is possible that, following the actions this week by the SEC, there will eventually be at least 3 and possibly 4 levels of Division 1 schools.
Whether Furman ends up in level 3 or level 4 or possibly level 2 remains to be seen. There seems to be too much of or too vocal of opposition to Furman moving to D2 or D3.
In any case, it will be fine.
Looking forward to see this work out.
(On the other hand, it could be another 30+ years before it works out, and I do not know if I’ll be caring or living by then.)
 #41711  by Sad Din
 Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:18 am
Yep. The college sports world is changing quickly and $$$ is driving most of it from NIL to bigger TV contracts

SD doesnt blame TX and OKLA. They are trying to play with the big boys which is the SEC at the moment

What this brings? Who knows. But in SD humble opinion, there will be:

1. Premier semi-pro league with the very top D1 schools. SEC ACC Big 10 and PAC. "Dividing" the country into 4 quads
2. Some middle tier - the rest of the left out D1s plus high level FCS schools
3. The rest

The top tier schools will be in playoffs
The middle tier will fill some gaps of bowl games

There should also be some way of top middle tier teams to compete for nattys if they have a breakout year
Affirm, FUpaladin08 liked this
 #41712  by Furmanoid
 Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:20 pm
The thing is, the Power 5 (Power 4 now) conferences only have a couple of real national contenders each (except that the SEC may have maybe 6). Should Miss State, Rutgers or Arizona State really play at a higher level than UCF or Cincinnati?

And I’m not sure the P5’s will be able to agree on everything. Three conferences are head and shoulders above the other two in academics. And they are proud of it. Will they want to play with a conference that pretty clearly wants no rules at all about anything? How much longer will the SEC even require players to register for school? I just visited Notre Dame and I’m pretty certain that crowd isn’t going to let Texas and Alabama determine how they run their program.

The SEC thinks they can go it alone if they have to. They think the guy in Columbus will watch the Miss State/Arkansas game if OSU isn’t in their super conference. That’s stupid. Big 10 fans are gonna watch Big 10 games even if they drop to DII. And PAC 12 fans are going to blow off the game and surf even if their team is playing Alabama. I really hope the SEC goes off on its own and everybody else just waves goodbye.

I know the theory is that sports fans will only watch if they are seeing the very best athletes. If those guys don’t play because they aren’t paid enough or can’t read, the theory says that college football fans will just stop watching. I think that’s crazy, and I’d love to see it tested.
Affirm, FUpaladin08 liked this
 #41713  by Sad Din
 Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:57 pm
FUBeAR wrote:

Flip the sports and it may be believable. Just sayin'...
Affirm liked this
 #41715  by Affirm
 Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:13 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:18 am
Yep. The college sports world is changing quickly and $$$ is driving most of it from NIL to bigger TV contracts

SD doesnt blame TX and OKLA. They are trying to play with the big boys which is the SEC at the moment

What this brings? Who knows. But in SD humble opinion, there will be:

1. Premier semi-pro league with the very top D1 schools. SEC ACC Big 10 and PAC. "Dividing" the country into 4 quads
2. Some middle tier - the rest of the left out D1s plus high level FCS schools
3. The rest

The top tier schools will be in playoffs
The middle tier will fill some gaps of bowl games

There should also be some way of top middle tier teams to compete for nattys if they have a breakout year
It would be great if Furman could be one of those high level FCS schools that you refer to and that this season could be the start of proving that.
If that doesn’t work out, though, we’ll be good enough with being in the 3rd tier or the 4th tier or wherever we end up. Regardless, I am still very interested in seeing how this all proceeds, at every level.
 #41719  by Affirm
 Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:20 pm
•Coastal Carolina
•Appalachian State
•Louisiana
•UCF
Andrew Miller, Oklahoma State alum and the editor of Texas Longhorns site Hook ‘Em Horns, wrote yesterday an article in which he discussed 10 top candidates for Big 12 addition following the departures of UT and OU. Appalachian State was “honorable mention” in the article. CCU, Louisiana, and UCF were among the 10 highlighted teams. These 4 each have a minor connection to Furman football in the not too distant past - minor, but obvious to Furman football fans.
 #41761  by Affirm
 Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:19 am
I am interested in conference realignment of FBS schools. I wish I could find more serious discussion on UFFP about how that is going to affect Furman and FCS generally in the future. Thanks to the 5 or so participants on this board who have given serious comments - they are good. I continue to look for more.
I cannot find the article now, but one writer stated his opinion that a likelihood is for the big conferences to partner (for example ACC & Big Ten or ACC & PAC-12, etc.), whereby they will no longer need to schedule any FCS games. They will have their conference opponents (likely being even 1 more conference opponents than they have presently, due to conference realignment and enlargement) plus their OOC rivals in some cases (such as Clemson-UofSC, UGA-GT, UF-FSU, UK-UL, Michigan-ND, Iowa-Iowa State), AND THEN PLUS 1 or 2 games each season from their partner conference (for example, NC State rotating schedule featuring Wisconsin, Rutgers, Nebraska, and all the rest of the Big 10 over a period of years, or featuring Oregon State, Arizona, Cal, and all the rest of the Big 12 over a period of years). An NC State or a Clemson or a Virginia Tech or a Pittsburgh, etc., will no longer have any need or any space on their schedule to play Furman or any other FCS team.
Additionally, all the other FBS schools are talking about conference realignment and expansion, so Furman's chances to play a Georgia State, a UCF, etc., may disappear, as their conferences get bigger or as their conferences get absorbed by or partnered with other FBS conferences.
**** A Forbes article on July 25, 2021, by Tom Layberger, SportsMoney, is titled "Only 15 of 130 FBS Teams Will Not Play An FCS Team During 2021 College Football Season".
"Scheduling non-conference games is not the easiest thing. That is especially the case for, but not limited to, teams that have only three such dates. Broken agreements can leave a team scrambling to fill a vacancy, and ultimately scheduling an opponent it otherwise would not. At least in some cases, that is how FCS teams appear on schedules of FBS teams. Of course, there are a handful of FBS teams that routinely schedule FCS opponents. Whatever the case, only 15 of 130 FBS programs do not have an FCS team on their schedule in 2021. Among them are Notre Dame, UCLA and USC, the only programs that have not played FCS teams since D1 split into I-! and I-AA prior to the 1978 season. That is scheduled to change next year (see UCLA) and it looked like it was going to change this year (see USC).
[********] Here is an alphabetical look at the ...[other 12 FBS] teams, with a note on the last time they played an FCS opponent. In many cases, games against FCS teams last year were cancelled due to the pandemic.
-Boise State (...last FCS was 45-10 over Portland State, 2019)
-Georgia State (...last FCS was 48-42 win against Furman in 2019)
-Illinois (...last FCS was 38 14 win against Western Illinois in 2018)
-Iowa (...last FCS was 38-14 over Northern Iowa - who they have played 7 times since 1995 and would have played in 2020 except for pandemic - the schools are 90 miles apart)
- Michigan (...last FCS was 42-37 over FCS [at that time, 2010] UMass)
-Minnesota (...last FCS was 2019 win over FCS #4 SD State; they would have played Furman 2021 opponent Tennessee Tech last season, except for pandemic)
-Navy (... last FCS was 45-7 over Holy Cross in 2019; Navy was scheduled to play Lafayette last year, except for pandemic; as a member of the Patriot League in all sports but football, the Middies have often scheduled games FCS teams from the Patriot; additionally, they have also scheduled games in fairly recent years against nearby FCS teams such as Towson, Delaware [often], and VMI)
- Ohio State (... last FCS was 2013 against FAMU, who lost 76-0, but got $900,000 for the game; this year, OSU brings in 2 teams that are perhaps FCS-like but are actually FBS, namely Akron [who will get $1,800,000] and Tulsa [who will get $1,100,000])
-Purdue (... last FCS was 2016, 45-24 over EKU)
-Stanford (... last FCS was 2018, 30-10 over UC-Davis [who beat Stanford in 2005, 20-17]; Stanford would have played William & Mary in 2020, except for the pandemic)
-Texas (... last FCS was 1992, 33-15 over NTSU, who was FBS until 1982 and who returned to FBS in 1995)
-Wisconsin (... last FCS was 2013, a 37-3 win over Western Illinois; Wisconsin would have played FCS Southern Illinois in 2020, except for the pandemic)
[REGARDING UCLA AND USC:]
-UCLA (...last FCS = never; will play FCS Alabama State in 2022 and will play FCS North Carolina Central in 2023; those 2 came onto the schedule as a result of Michigan cancelling a 2021/2022 home and home with UCLA)
-USC (... has had FCS UC-Davis scheduled temporarily for 2021 but paid UC-Davis $725,000 when USC cancelled on UC-Davis). [*********] "
END OF ARTICLE
END OF POST !

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.