• Reasons for Optimism in Fall 2021?

#41597  by apaladin
 Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:27 am
purplehorse wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:55 am
Our QB situation will have to be better. We could not perform any worse than in the spring. Other thoughts?
I think you could change the first sentance to: Every aspect of our offense needs to be better. The again we are not giving “reasons” to be optimistic, lol.
 #41601  by The Jackal
 Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:09 am
We went 3-4 and certainly could have been worse.

Having watched the spring, it's my opinion that we have plenty of talent on offense. For whatever reason, things jut looked off - timing, play calling, execution. I think it was an "all of the above" problem, not a single position group.

I'm inclined to treat the spring as a one off. VMI won the league. Some of the league teams dropped out midseason. Players didn't play. The whole thing was upside down. I think the coaching staff's track record the last few years is more indicative of where the team is than a COVID spring season.

The issues with our offense, boiled down, is that we don't get enough yards on first down, play behind the chains, and then can't make up the difference on 3rd and 4th.

The defense will be fine. I think we'll have one of the better defenses we've ever had in 2021.
FurmAlum liked this
 #41629  by Davemeister
 Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:30 am
I am optimistic about Fall 2021 because I am now fully retired and for the first time since the Year 2000 there will be no scheduling conflicts between Work and Furman Football.

Now everyone here agrees that Furman Football is a much higher priority than Work. From now on I will not be tasked with having to convince an employer of that elementary fact. Go Dins!
Affirm, apaladin, dornb and 4 others liked this
 #41631  by Affirm
 Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:30 am
Davemeister wrote:
I am optimistic about Fall 2021 because I am now fully retired and for the first time since the Year 2000 there will be no scheduling conflicts between Work and Furman Football.

Now everyone here agrees that Furman Football is a much higher priority than Work. From now on I will not be tasked with having to convince an employer of that elementary fact. Go Dins!
CONGRATULATIONS for retiring! May it be great in every way!
 #41632  by Affirm
 Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:31 am
Davemeister wrote:

CONGRATULATIONS for retiring! May it be great in every way!
 #41633  by Affirm
 Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:32 am
Davemeister wrote:

CONGRATULATIONS!
 #41634  by apaladin
 Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:35 am
Davemeister wrote:

Congrats on retiring, but obviously you should have changed jobs years ago. :D
Davemeister liked this
 #41644  by FurmAlum
 Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:05 pm
I'm optimistic.

QB should be better. He took his lumps last year but should have learned some lessons. Prob can open the playbook and let him run some on the option since there are some back-ups available if injured. Should have better wide receivers to throw to if he has the time.

We have a lot of experienced players returning. Defense should be very good. No question the key will be QB and offensive line.
apaladin liked this
 #41653  by The Jackal
 Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:19 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
I'm optimistic.

QB should be better. He took his lumps last year but should have learned some lessons. Prob can open the playbook and let him run some on the option since there are some back-ups available if injured. Should have better wide receivers to throw to if he has the time.

We have a lot of experienced players returning. Defense should be very good. No question the key will be QB and offensive line.

I don't want to overcook it, but this really is a season Furman needs to make some inroads.

I'm willing to write the spring season off as a fluke, but Furman has enough talent and experience returning that I doubt there will be a lot of patience among the fan base for a third consecutive season of the offense just disappearing for long stretches of the season.

I think the defense will be there. They will keep us in every game. Even in the disappointing spring campaign, the defense gave us a chance to win every game. If the offense picks it up some, we'll be in a good spot. 21-24 ppg from the team will make us pretty dangerous, in my opinion.
DoomedDin1127 liked this
 #41672  by apaladin
 Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:47 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
I'm optimistic.

Can’t tell you how much I hope you are right but just don’t see it. It got worse as the season went along. We failed to score 20 points in the last 4 games. Don’t see it recovering from a downward spiral in 3 months. Granted he had little help. I hope the QB position has a true open competition with no preconceived notions starting next week.
 #41674  by The Jackal
 Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:24 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:47 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
I'm optimistic.

Can’t tell you how much I hope you are right but just don’t see it. It got worse as the season went along. We failed to score 20 points in the last 4 games. Don’t see it recovering from a downward spiral in 3 months. Granted he had little help. I hope the QB position has a true open competition with no preconceived notions starting next week.

I think you put too much emphasis on the spring season.

For me, that season was an anomaly - a once-in-a-lifetime event that turned FCS football on its head. It happened, certainly, and there was plenty not to like about it, but, in my view, it is not dispositive of the team we will expect to see in the fall. It is neither nothing nor everything.
 #41677  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:07 pm
I still don’t understand the mechanism by which oddities in scheduling would make us play so crappy. How does additional practice/film study time make you worse? How many FU studs opted out or were sidelined with Covid? Blaming our performance on Covid seems like a stretch.
bj93 liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.