• 2021 Roster

#41528  by The Jackal
 Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:25 am
Davemeister wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:56 am
I think there is plenty of blame to go around, myself.

That's where I am. It's not all one player or position group. It's not all on the coaches.

At the end of the day, I don't care about the hype videos, or how many bench presses, or the recruiting class. Sometimes you just gotta get between a linebacker and the QB.
apaladin, bj93 liked this
 #41529  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:48 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:43 pm
Nothing wrong with the play/scheme. Nothing wrong with execution by 10 of 11 Players. #83 does a very nice job creating space from the DB. Simple 8-10 yard pitch & catch between :02 & :03 and it’s 1st down Paladins.

Won’t call him out, but “Coach FUBeAR” would be VERY upset with 1 (and only 1, from what I see) Player after this play…for 2 reasons, neither of which will I specify.

He would not have made it back to the sidelines before he became acutely aware of my displeasure with him. That Player would have a hard time re-entering any game which “Coach FUBeAR” was Coaching. Players need to be able to trust their Coaches & Coaches need to be able trust their Players. This single play would have completely broken any trust “Coach FUBeAR” had in that particular Player.

IF this Player is a returner in 2021, I hope he has done whatever he needs/needed to do to rebuild trust in him by the Coaching Staff. That, of course, assumes the Coaching Staff values mutual trust the way “Coach FUBeAR” does. I would be shocked if they do not as this is an exceptional & highly experienced Coaching Staff. “Fan FUBeAR” has full faith, confidence, and trust in each of them as individuals and as a Staff.

*Oh…also, looks like Man Free coverage & there is (most likely) a FS playing ‘center field’ out of the frame who would, most likely, have doubled #82 running the CornerPost (or ArrowPost) from the O’s left. The OLB on the top of the frame (#2, I think), most likely, has the RB (lined up on his side), but comes (late) when he sees him staying in to block. #2 would have covered RB if he ran a flat route behind 83’s slant. Still could be open, but more of a touch pass, more risk to get to 1st down marker, and (theoretically, as we see) more risk of Pick6 by D.
FYI I just completed my SCHSL required training on protecting athletes from abuse, and “screaming at a player for poor performance” was specifically called out as an example of emotional abuse that should probably be reported. So you would need to be very careful expressing your displeasure in a HS setting. I would imagine a wokish college environment is even more protective.
 #41531  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:48 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:48 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:43 pm
Nothing wrong with the play/scheme. Nothing wrong with execution by 10 of 11 Players. #83 does a very nice job creating space from the DB. Simple 8-10 yard pitch & catch between :02 & :03 and it’s 1st down Paladins.

Won’t call him out, but “Coach FUBeAR” would be VERY upset with 1 (and only 1, from what I see) Player after this play…for 2 reasons, neither of which will I specify.

He would not have made it back to the sidelines before he became acutely aware of my displeasure with him. That Player would have a hard time re-entering any game which “Coach FUBeAR” was Coaching. Players need to be able to trust their Coaches & Coaches need to be able trust their Players. This single play would have completely broken any trust “Coach FUBeAR” had in that particular Player.

IF this Player is a returner in 2021, I hope he has done whatever he needs/needed to do to rebuild trust in him by the Coaching Staff. That, of course, assumes the Coaching Staff values mutual trust the way “Coach FUBeAR” does. I would be shocked if they do not as this is an exceptional & highly experienced Coaching Staff. “Fan FUBeAR” has full faith, confidence, and trust in each of them as individuals and as a Staff.

*Oh…also, looks like Man Free coverage & there is (most likely) a FS playing ‘center field’ out of the frame who would, most likely, have doubled #82 running the CornerPost (or ArrowPost) from the O’s left. The OLB on the top of the frame (#2, I think), most likely, has the RB (lined up on his side), but comes (late) when he sees him staying in to block. #2 would have covered RB if he ran a flat route behind 83’s slant. Still could be open, but more of a touch pass, more risk to get to 1st down marker, and (theoretically, as we see) more risk of Pick6 by D.
FYI I just completed my SCHSL required training on protecting athletes from abuse, and “screaming at a player for poor performance” was specifically called out as an example of emotional abuse that should probably be reported. So you would need to be very careful expressing your displeasure in a HS setting. I would imagine a wokish college environment is even more protective.
never said “Coach FUBeAR” would scream at this Player.
 #41532  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:58 pm
I didn’t think you would. I think you were meaning that before he got to the sideline you would shake your finger at him or put on a pouty face. Oh, and by the way, denying playing time as punishment was the other example.
 #41533  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:01 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:58 pm
I didn’t think you would. I think you were meaning that before he got to the sideline you would shake your finger at him or put on a pouty face. Oh, and by the way, denying playing time as punishment was the other example.
“Coach FUBeAR” would never deny any Player playing time. He would always provide each Player with the exact amount of playing time they have/had earned.
 #41537  by Paul C
 Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:17 pm
Wait a sec, are you saying that sitting a player for poor performance would be considered player abuse?
gofurman liked this
 #41539  by FurmAlum
 Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:37 pm
My how times have changed.

I can remember our basketball coach yelling at us all the time and then at the end of practice (during tryouts) we had to run sprints until we puked. And that was in the 7th grade!! HaHa!

It weeded out who wanted to play, though.

One of his favorite sayings was after you threw a bad pass that was intercepted he would say "WHY DID YOU THROW IT TO HIM FOR"? "YOU BEEN TAKING STUPID PILLS?" What were you supposed say? So you said nothing and accepted your ass-chewing. If you tried to explain or make some excuse the whole team would be running sprints.
 #41540  by tim
 Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:50 pm
Old time HS coaches used to coach with a leather strap in one hand. That wasn't right either but it was considered a privilege to play in those days.
 #41541  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:00 pm
Paul C wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:17 pm
Wait a sec, are you saying that sitting a player for poor performance would be considered player abuse?
If somebody just sucks, you can probably sit them (but you can’t yell at them). But if somebody just makes no real effort to block or tackle (or both on the same freaking play), sitting them might be seen as “punishment” for lack of effort. Can’t do that. You can’t yell at him either.

This isn’t just some South Carolina training. This is NFHS/CDC, and I think pretty much everybody who coaches anything has to do it. I just found it amusing since I did it moments after I read Coach FUBeAR’s analysis. Don’t worry, I doubt anybody takes it seriously outside of California and maybe Massachusetts.

The heat stress, concussion and sudden cardiac death training is actually pretty damn good though.
 #41542  by apaladin
 Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:50 pm
Remember “butt cuts”? Ouch!!
 #41545  by The Jackal
 Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:44 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:46 pm
Captains named. Does this give HS the inside track to be the starting QB or it has no impact?
https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2021/7/ ... paign.aspx

Captains are usually voted on by the team. We've had captains before that were not starters. Elijah McKoy was named a captain for the spring season and I do not believe he even played.
 #41546  by Davemeister
 Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:37 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:46 pm
Captains named. Does this give HS the inside track to be the starting QB or it has no impact?
https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2021/7/ ... paign.aspx
I think it is safe to say HS has the Inside Track. He's the only QB we have with college experience and he is the incumbent. Not saying this won't change but for now he is the starter.
 #41547  by Davemeister
 Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:41 pm
apaladin wrote:

I remember them well from Little League. Coach had a wicked paddle he used for "physical correction" when necessary. But as 11-12 year-olds we took our b-c's as badges of honor.
apaladin liked this
 #41549  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:49 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:41 pm
apaladin wrote:

I remember them well from Little League. Coach had a wicked paddle he used for "physical correction" when necessary. But as 11-12 year-olds we took our b-c's as badges of honor.
You guys need the training. You were psychically damaged and didn’t even know it. You probably went out and got jobs and stuff when you grew up.