• 2021 Roster

#41494  by DiamonDin
 Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:53 pm
I think the WRs are the least of our concerns in the passing game. We have ample talent, speed and size there and, in addition to the names mentioned earlier, I'm picking Bailor Hughes as a potential breakout star. In very limited playing time in the Spring, he impressed me. I'm more concerned about the OL being able to give our QB time to throw. We've got talent, just not a whole lot of experienced depth. Then there's the QB. August should provide quite a battle and, other than Hamp's experience, I have no idea who will separate themselves. Just hope one of them will show excellent game management skills and the ability to complete 65% of his passes.
bj93, Davemeister liked this
 #41495  by DeepPurple
 Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:12 pm
Great thing going for us is there will be competition for many playing positions. Competition is a great tool for a coach to have. I do believe we will see a much different product this fall.
 #41498  by The Jackal
 Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:03 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:27 pm
The thing is, lots of times taking what they give you means a WR doing a hitch way off to the side. That “short” pass is really about 30 yds and it needs to be low and hot. A guy who throws 60 yds with air on it may very well struggle to throw the short pass on a line. I got the feeling we didn’t have confidence in those quick throws. If they hang up, they can go the wrong way.

I don't disagree with you in theory, but still don't see why that shouldn't be a call at the line.

This is screaming for some RPO. As soon as that linebacker stepped inside on the run, it should have been a quick flick out to the FLk. There wasn't anyone lined up within six yards of him. Once they get tired of you flicking the ball outside for easy yards, you start running it up the middle when the LB cheats outside to the flat.

Besides, if you don't trust the QB's arm to get it out there, then we don't need to run the SE so deep on a hook/out route.
 #41500  by apaladin
 Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:42 pm
I have said many times I hate the sideways 30 yd pass for lttle or no gain at best. Too risky and too easy to pick off. Are we sure that we used any checkoffs in the spring? Whatever the reason we can all agree the offense in the spring was really bad and totally screwed up. Worst I have seen in many years, even worse than the BF era. Just seemed like we had no clue. Needs fixing for sure.
 #41503  by Furmanoid
 Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:52 pm
But the thing is, if you can’t do that hitch, you can’t do the go. You need to step on the defenders feet, and if you can’t do the hitch, the defender can just hang back where you can never beat him. Then you have the offense we had in the spring.

Fortunately there are scores of HS boys who can make the throws we need and surely we snared at least one or two of them.
 #41508  by gofurman
 Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:47 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:03 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:27 pm
The thing is, lots of times taking what they give you means a WR doing a hitch way off to the side. That “short” pass is really about 30 yds and it needs to be low and hot. A guy who throws 60 yds with air on it may very well struggle to throw the short pass on a line. I got the feeling we didn’t have confidence in those quick throws. If they hang up, they can go the wrong way.

I don't disagree with you in theory, but still don't see why that shouldn't be a call at the line.

This is screaming for some RPO. As soon as that linebacker stepped inside on the run, it should have been a quick flick out to the FLk. There wasn't anyone lined up within six yards of him. Once they get tired of you flicking the ball outside for easy yards, you start running it up the middle when the LB cheats outside to the flat.

Besides, if you don't trust the QB's arm to get it out there, then we don't need to run the SE so deep on a hook/out route.
I must admit there were times when I - who know nothing about play calling- saw holes we weren’t exploiting in the D. As you said, RPO vs this, etc. Easy gaps to identify in the D when they lined up as they primarily stacked the box time and again. Every D has a strength and a weakness.
 #41509  by Furmanoid
 Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:26 am
I prefer to believe that our coaches could see everything we saw, but didn’t have the ability (players) to take advantage. Otherwise we have dumb coaches and all is lost.

But players on the other hand can be improved or quickly replaced. And if the problem is mostly one player (qb) that can be fixed much more easily than an entire OL or receiving group. That’s why I’ve decided to believe that HS was the problem and competition this summer will improve him or replace him. Nothing against him, but the most likely way for us to make a huge turnaround is if all we need to do is fix the QB.
 #41516  by The Jackal
 Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:27 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:26 am
I prefer to believe that our coaches could see everything we saw, but didn’t have the ability (players) to take advantage. Otherwise we have dumb coaches and all is lost.

But players on the other hand can be improved or quickly replaced. And if the problem is mostly one player (qb) that can be fixed much more easily than an entire OL or receiving group. That’s why I’ve decided to believe that HS was the problem and competition this summer will improve him or replace him. Nothing against him, but the most likely way for us to make a huge turnaround is if all we need to do is fix the QB.

I think it's an all of the above problem. Execution was an issue, but I often thought our offense just wouldn't make an adjustment.

Here's another example.

I'd like to give Furman the benefit of the doubt here, but I only count 10 defensive players. Potentially there's a deep safety, but I also don't know why the Citadel would have a man 15 yards off the ball on a fourth and four. Especially when that guy is probably supposed to cover the running back.

The blocking sucks and the RB probably tries to pick up the wrong man. We've got six to block six and still let a man through untouched. That's a communication problem.

Again, though, where's the ability to get out of this play? The Citadel is giving you the middle of the field. No receiver but Deluca is even looking for the ball. We need four yards against a six man rush and three of our four receivers are running downfield as our QB is getting blown up.

This is all hindsight, but its not rocket science. You've got man coverage against twins with a safety well off the ball. Run a slant/flat combination to the left side and get Deluca loose in the middle of the field. That one Citadel DB can't defend both of those routes.

Maybe the game situation called for us to take a bigger gamble here, but you need the first down.

We can pin stuff on the QB, but he's got no chance to throw this ball. Our blockers missed assignments, got beat, and then had a bad scheme to go with it. I'm not totally convinced this didn't happen with only 10 defenders on the field either, which makes is demonstrably worse.
 #41518  by FUBeAR
 Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:43 pm
Nothing wrong with the play/scheme. Nothing wrong with execution by 10 of 11 Players. #83 does a very nice job creating space from the DB. Simple 8-10 yard pitch & catch between :02 & :03 and it’s 1st down Paladins.

Won’t call him out, but “Coach FUBeAR” would be VERY upset with 1 (and only 1, from what I see) Player after this play…for 2 reasons, neither of which will I specify.

He would not have made it back to the sidelines before he became acutely aware of my displeasure with him. That Player would have a hard time re-entering any game which “Coach FUBeAR” was Coaching. Players need to be able to trust their Coaches & Coaches need to be able trust their Players. This single play would have completely broken any trust “Coach FUBeAR” had in that particular Player.

IF this Player is a returner in 2021, I hope he has done whatever he needs/needed to do to rebuild trust in him by the Coaching Staff. That, of course, assumes the Coaching Staff values mutual trust the way “Coach FUBeAR” does. I would be shocked if they do not as this is an exceptional & highly experienced Coaching Staff. “Fan FUBeAR” has full faith, confidence, and trust in each of them as individuals and as a Staff.

*Oh…also, looks like Man Free coverage & there is (most likely) a FS playing ‘center field’ out of the frame who would, most likely, have doubled #82 running the CornerPost (or ArrowPost) from the O’s left. The OLB on the top of the frame (#2, I think), most likely, has the RB (lined up on his side), but comes (late) when he sees him staying in to block. #2 would have covered RB if he ran a flat route behind 83’s slant. Still could be open, but more of a touch pass, more risk to get to 1st down marker, and (theoretically, as we see) more risk of Pick6 by D.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #41519  by Furmanoid
 Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:32 pm
I think at this point some people had pretty much quit. The one unnamed guy REALLY quit and should be ousted from FUBeAR’s circle of trust. But it sort of looks like even if he had chosen to participate, it wouldn’t have mattered. Even before he opted out of blocking it looks like the QB turned and fled to the left. When he does that, it’s over. He can’t throw moving left. Had he stayed put, there is a ghost of a chance that he could have hit the slant before getting clobbered. Or he could have juked that guy and escaped to the right where he might be able to do something. Maybe not easy but QB’s do it all the time when I’m rooting against them.
 #41520  by FUBeAR
 Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:41 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
…it looks like the QB turned and fled to the left. When he does that, it’s over.
Players have to trust & be able to trust their Teammates too. Perhaps trust issues existed prior to this snap.
 #41521  by apaladin
 Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:02 pm
There were a lot of “look out” blocks in the spring, not only from the OL but the RBs as well. See video.
 #41522  by The Jackal
 Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:03 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:41 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
…it looks like the QB turned and fled to the left. When he does that, it’s over.
Players have to trust & be able to trust their Teammates too. Perhaps trust issues existed prior to this snap.

This is sort of where I keep coming back to when watching our offense this spring. Either our coaches are not communicating or the players are not executing.

We have talented players. I don't know if the scheme is confusing or there's a miscommunication or what, but it needs to get fixed.

Citadel rushes six. We have six available to block. The man that blows up the play essentially comes unblocked and gets a free hit on the QB. He didn't do anything fancy - he lined up on the line and rushed straight in the backfield. That's inexcusable.

Even if everyone has to come up to the line and point out who they are blocking, get it sorted out.
bj93, apaladin, MNORM liked this
 #41523  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:31 am
Not wanting to over analyze this play, but why is the guy we aren’t talking about even in the game at that point? Either the coaches had already given up or he’s our best protection guy. Neither answer is good. Regardless I’ll stop blaming the disastrous season on the QB and start blaming it on a 3rd-4th string back. That should be really easy to fix.
 #41527  by Davemeister
 Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:56 am
I think there is plenty of blame to go around, myself.
PalaDad liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.