• CCH GETS CONTRACT EXTENSION

#41373  by apaladin
 Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:27 pm
Congrats to CCH. This brings up the question do you think CCH is the man to lead the Paladins to the promised land? Such as a SoCon championship every 2-3 years and contending every year and getting past the first round of the playoffs. Just throwing it out for discussion.

https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2021/7/ ... nsion.aspx
Last edited by apaladin on Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #41375  by Affirm
 Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:03 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:27 pm
Which brings up the question do you think CCH is the man to lead the Paladins to the promised land? Just throwing it out for discussion.
Not sure what exactly the promised land is in this contest, but I am very satisfied and very glad that Furman’s coach is the person described in that outstanding write-up. And I hope that we will all continue being pleased having him as our head coach for at least the next 10 years, or for as long as he wants to stay.
I wonder what people on here consider the promised land to be for our program.
Last edited by Affirm on Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #41376  by apaladin
 Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:06 pm
By promised land I mean winning the SoCon every 2-3 years, contending every year, another FBS win and a deep playoff run every 5 years or so.
 #41377  by Affirm
 Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:52 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:06 pm
By promised land I mean winning the SoCon every 2-3 years, contending every year, another FBS win and a deep playoff run every 5 years or so.
That’s good.
My standards are not that high, but I certainly would agree with yours being promised land - except I would add
- overall program stability
- financial stability
- avoidance of controversy
- continuation of good academic quality.
 #41378  by Jasper
 Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:14 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:43 pm
Seems as well suited for that job as anyone else might be.
In the entire country? And therein lies the problem. Does last season or the first round playoff annihilation the previous season not count?
 #41379  by Paul C
 Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:38 pm
Jasper wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
In the entire country? And therein lies the problem. Does last season or the first round playoff annihilation the previous season not count?
18-6 in the SoCon over first 3 years. We will see if last years COVID season was an aberration or not.
apaladin, gman84, tim liked this
 #41386  by The Jackal
 Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:11 am
Paul C wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:38 pm
Jasper wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
18-6 in the SoCon over first 3 years. We will see if last years COVID season was an aberration or not.
I do not see why this discussion is so difficult for some.

Furman is not Alabama. Nick Saban isn't available. How many other guys out there would check the number of boxes Furman needs to check for a head coach?

Is it possible some "Big U" assistant coach could come in here and put together a nice run before leaving for a bigger job? Sure, I guess. It's possible. But that's never been what Furman has been about. Is it just as likely someone could turn the team into a 3 win program? That's possible too.

Furman's gotten better every year under Hendrix. The team looks bigger, faster, and stronger than they've been in decades. We will probably find out quickly whether the COVID season was a one off based in part on a truly once in a lifetime event or a trend. My guess is the former.
JohnKX512 liked this
 #41388  by Furmanoid
 Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:03 pm
I don’t mean to be contrary, but how would the Covid season thing make our O line forget how to block and stuff like that? If I were a coach who had a disappointing spring I’d be screaming “Covid!” for sure, but I don’t really understand how an additional 4 or 5 months of prep time would mess you up so bad.
bj93, apaladin liked this
 #41389  by The Jackal
 Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:00 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
I don’t mean to be contrary, but how would the Covid season thing make our O line forget how to block and stuff like that? If I were a coach who had a disappointing spring I’d be screaming “Covid!” for sure, but I don’t really understand how an additional 4 or 5 months of prep time would mess you up so bad.
Let me ask your question a different way.

Clay Hendrix was an assistant coach on the offensive line coach for close to 20 years. He's been heavily involved at that position since becoming a head coach 5 years ago. The OL coach during his tenure to this point was a former player. Have we ever worried about the offensive line on a Clay Hendrix team?

Is it more likely that after 25 years Hendrix just forgot how to coach the offensive line and a veteran line "forgot how to block?" Or is it more likely that there were extenuating circumstances that effected the overall play of the offense? And - I should note - many offenses around the country.

I'm not going to pretend to be able to answer that question. I don't think any of us have a great understanding of what went wrong this Spring. Did the team just suck all of the sudden? Was the timing off? Did the lengthy delay cause issues? Did the week in week out questions about whether you could even play make a difference? Could the team even really practice together?

Everyone is free to draw whatever conclusions they want based on the spring season. I'm not going to get too wrapped up in it. We have a good football team. We have good coaches. I think a normal offseason will demonstrate that.
 #41391  by Sir William
 Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:58 pm
2021 is going to be a great season. One game at a time. I truly believe that when (not if) we are in the playoffs in Nov/Dec, we will look back on the spring of 2021 as a blessing in disguise. Playing from strength and for pride.
DoomedDin1127 liked this
 #41392  by apaladin
 Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:06 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:00 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Let me ask your question a different way.

Clay Hendrix was an assistant coach on the offensive line coach for close to 20 years. He's been heavily involved at that position since becoming a head coach 5 years ago. The OL coach during his tenure to this point was a former player. Have we ever worried about the offensive line on a Clay Hendrix team?

Is it more likely that after 25 years Hendrix just forgot how to coach the offensive line and a veteran line "forgot how to block?" Or is it more likely that there were extenuating circumstances that effected the overall play of the offense? And - I should note - many offenses around the country.

I'm not going to pretend to be able to answer that question. I don't think any of us have a great understanding of what went wrong this Spring. Did the team just suck all of the sudden? Was the timing off? Did the lengthy delay cause issues? Did the week in week out questions about whether you could even play make a difference? Could the team even really practice together?

Everyone is free to draw whatever conclusions they want based on the spring season. I'm not going to get too wrapped up in it. We have a good football team. We have good coaches. I think a normal offseason will demonstrate that.
“Did the team just suck all of a sudden”? Answer: YES! Reason: Have no idea. Hoping it was a mental thing but we will have to wait a couple of months to find out.
 #41497  by purplehorse
 Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:19 pm
The question for me, ever since our championship in ‘88, is can we compete with all the other football teams because of the academics. I heard a Furman fan just this week say the football program was in decline because of the academics and not being able to give both academic and athletic scholarships. I am not privy to any details and don’t know the answers. I would hope Furman could compete in the future using apaladin’s definition of success. If CCH cannot get us there I am not sure anyone can. Having said that, we certainly sucked last year and I hope we can have a quick recovery and a good year because I think we are a few dismal years from becoming completely irrelevant in football. I don’t remember a time since ‘88 where so many Furman fans I know are about to call it quits. And these are not fair-weather fans. GO PALADINS!