• 2021 Roster

#41449  by bj93
 Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:55 pm
I see Shiflett is listed as a WR. Had he not been showing as a QB a couple weeks ago?
 #41452  by apaladin
 Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:05 pm
bj93 wrote:
I see Shiflett is listed as a WR. Had he not been showing as a QB a couple weeks ago?
Yes he had, but in CCH’s latest interview he said Shiflett would prolly play another position(WR). We need help there.
 #41453  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:55 pm
76MrMoto wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:38 am
gman84 wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:23 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:39 pm
Thanks Astro, 119 players, could be the largest squad ever. Here is the breakdown by my count:(coukd be wrong but close)
FRESHMEN….41 including 27 walkons
REDSHIRT FR..33 -many were/are walkons.
SOPHOMORE..12
REDSHIRT SO..12
JUNIOR………9
REDSHIRT JR..2
SENIOR………4
REDSHIRT. SR..6
Looks like an awfully young team on paper. Only 21 juniors and seniors. Freshmen, walkons and Redshirt freshmen make up over 62 percent of the team.
This is the norm for most schools following covid. My son is a GA, and their program will have a higher number of players than FU. I heard Clemson will have their largest # of players this year as well. Lots of PWOs and WOs everywhere this year.
Good article written by Eric Boynton in today's "Spartanburg Herald Journal" about Wofford's plan to continue using transfer portal and also emphasis on recruiting large number of good walk ons.
https://www.goupstate.com/story/sports/ ... 986043002/
Hmmm…noticed that the article didn’t call out that most (almost all) all of Woffraud’s “Transfers” are JUCO/Ath.Prep ‘School’ transfers…

…and no mention of how Uncle Jerry’s million$ will deployed as NIL ‘deals.’

Shocking!
 #41454  by gofurman
 Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:05 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:05 pm
bj93 wrote:
Yes he had, but in CCH’s latest interview he said Shiflett would prolly play another position(WR). We need help there.
We need better play on offense in general - pretty much every unit and possibly play calling. I felt bad for our Defense this spring
 #41455  by Affirm
 Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:13 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
76MrMoto wrote:
gman84 wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Thanks Astro, 119 players, could be the largest squad ever. Here is the breakdown by my count:(coukd be wrong but close)
SOPHOMORE..12
REDSHIRT SO..12
JUNIOR………9
REDSHIRT JR..2
SENIOR………4
REDSHIRT. SR..6
Looks like an awfully young team on paper. Only 21 juniors and seniors. Freshmen, walkons and Redshirt freshmen make up over 62 percent of the team.
This is the norm for most schools following covid. My son is a GA, and their program will have a higher number of players than FU. I heard Clemson will have their largest # of players this year as well. Lots of PWOs and WOs everywhere this year.
Good article written by Eric Boynton in today's "Spartanburg Herald Journal" about Wofford's plan to continue using transfer portal and also emphasis on recruiting large number of good walk ons.
Hmmm…noticed that the article didn’t call out that most (almost all) all of Woffraud’s “Transfers” are JUCO/Ath.Prep ‘School’ transfers…

Shocking!
Is uncle permitted to fund special “non-football scholarships” for “large number of good walk on’s”, and also permitted to fund attractive NIL deals?
I don’t know.
Just wondering.
 #41460  by apaladin
 Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:41 pm
Fyi- any scholarship, be it academic etc is counted against the total allowed for football.
 #41461  by FUBeAR
 Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:19 am
affirm wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:13 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
76MrMoto wrote:
gman84 wrote:
apaladin wrote:
SOPHOMORE..12
REDSHIRT SO..12
JUNIOR………9
REDSHIRT JR..2
SENIOR………4
REDSHIRT. SR..6

Shocking!
Is uncle permitted to fund special “non-football scholarships” for “large number of good walk on’s”, and also permitted to fund attractive NIL deals?
I don’t know.
Just wondering.
Can’t fund scholarships

Can sign agreements with every Player on roster to pay them $1M/yr each for 1 Tweet/yr endorsing/supporting one of Uncle Jerry’s entities.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #41464  by The Jackal
 Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:40 am
76MrMoto wrote:
gman84 wrote:
apaladin wrote:
SOPHOMORE..12
REDSHIRT SO..12
JUNIOR………9
REDSHIRT JR..2
SENIOR………4
REDSHIRT. SR..6

Reading the article, it seems Wofford's use of the transfer portal is born from necessity, not a philosophical shift.

Wofford has lost a bunch of guys to transferring out. The cynic in me says that when a program is losing players and coaches in large numbers, that's not a great look. The article makes it seem like Wofford is looking at transfers because they have to - they are struggling to fill out a depth chart.

Taking walk-ons is a good idea. It builds depth, gives guys an opportunity to prove themselves at this level, and frequently those guys end up as talented contributors.

The transfer portal needs to be a part of any recruiting strategy. That's just college football in 2021. What you don't necessarily want to do - and what Wofford has to be cautious of - is relying too heavily on the transfer portal. At some point, that just becomes your roster building strategy, which means you are constantly "recruiting" from the transfers and not building your talent from the ground up.
 #41466  by apaladin
 Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:27 am
Wonder if WC is cinsidering quittng like they did in the spring?
FUBeAR liked this
 #41488  by soconjohn
 Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:02 am
Addressing the "Furman is young again" post from earlier...Furman's defensive line appears to be among the most experienced in FCS football...If you look at the defensive line alone, the three penciled in to start have a combined 34-career starts...And check the depth at nose!
 #41489  by The Jackal
 Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:28 am
soconjohn wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:02 am
Addressing the "Furman is young again" post from earlier...Furman's defensive line appears to be among the most experienced in FCS football...If you look at the defensive line alone, the three penciled in to start have a combined 34-career starts...And check the depth at nose!
So, we have 41 freshmen out of 117 players, but I don't think we are "young."

According to the preseason information, Furman lost 13 lettermen - including three starters - off the '20/spring team. The Paladins return 51 lettermen and starters at 21 of the 24 positions. Defense returns 10 of 11 starters (and a bunch of guys that have starting experience).

https://furmanpaladins.com/documents/20 ... _Stats.pdf

Some musings:

- Defensive line is as deep as I can remember. We'll have third string guys that would have started on a few of the Bruce Fowler teams.

- Will need to find a CB to start opposite Blackshear.

- We will have a new look offensive line rotation. I think you can pencil in Jumper at C, Johanning at OG, and Tomlin at OT. While the OL didn't have a stellar spring season, we do lose a number of guys that were both versatile and experienced.

- QB is, of course, the big question mark. Lot more competition coming in this summer than we had in the spring.

- There will be some opportunities for new faces at TE as well. Miller is back, but Page and Walker are gone. Miller, of course, isn't a big in-line blocker that Walker was. Furman comes into fall camp with 7 TEs on the roster. That's a handful more than we've carried most of Hendrix's tenure.

- Outside of QB, the position group I have the most questions about is WR. Outside of Deluca, we've got talent, but a lot of guys that haven't proved a whole lot. Peterson has looked good in spots, but need to see him more consistently be a presence out there. Henderson played a good bit, but never really took over a game. Shiflett, as he's been for two years now, is a bit of a wild card.

We really need someone other than Deluca or Miller to serve as a consistent pass catching threat. Of course, we also gotta have guys that can spin it to them.
 #41490  by apaladin
 Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:16 pm
Been saying this all along the most glaring weakness is WR i.e. speed and size. In the spring we really struggle getting open. Frankly our receivers are easy to cover and don’t strike fear in any of our opponents.
 #41491  by The Jackal
 Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:52 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:16 pm
Been saying this all along the most glaring weakness is WR i.e. speed and size. In the spring we really struggle getting open. Frankly our receivers are easy to cover and don’t strike fear in any of our opponents.
I think that's a pretty broad statement without much, if any, support.

We have guys that can run. A few of our WRs are legit sprinters. We went through a period of transition this spring in finding some guys that could play and dealing with a couple of injuries.

From what I saw this spring in the passing game, we infrequently were we able to force a defense out of what they wanted to do or take advantage of what a defense was giving us.
 #41492  by The Jackal
 Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:10 pm
Came across this play as maybe an example of what plagued out offense.

Mercer effectively stacks everyone but the cheerleaders in the box. Furman wants to run a play action pass. In theory, this works fine. Mercer's going to stack a box, so you fake a run and throw it behind them.

Our RT get beat on the play. That happens.

But even before that, the play isn't going to work. The field corner isn't going to let the WR run past. The slant route run by the slot receiver is going right into the teeth of what Mercer is doing defensively. The play action, actually, is drawing more Bear defenders to the only real available place to throw the ball - the space behind the linebacker and in front of the safety.

What I never really understand is why we can't check this off to a smoke/hitch to the slot. Mercer is clearly giving Furman anything they want in the flats to the field side. Snap, turn, and throw. Literally the only two people that need to know the ball is going out there are the WR and QB. Everything else can stay exactly the same.

This is sort of my frustration with the offense this past spring - this isn't really on the QB. It's not on the WR. The RT could have blocked better, but even if he had, there's nowhere to throw it.

Why can't we take what the defense is asking for us to take? Get your four or five free yards instead of trying to force a play that isn't there and taking a six or seven yard loss
bj93 liked this
 #41493  by Furmanoid
 Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:27 pm
The thing is, lots of times taking what they give you means a WR doing a hitch way off to the side. That “short” pass is really about 30 yds and it needs to be low and hot. A guy who throws 60 yds with air on it may very well struggle to throw the short pass on a line. I got the feeling we didn’t have confidence in those quick throws. If they hang up, they can go the wrong way.