• Bobby Lamb coming back to the Upstate

#41303  by Affirm
 Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:07 am
Anderson University in Indiana is D3. They do play football. Anderson University in SC is D2, and it is older and larger than Anderson University in IN.
 #41305  by cavedweller2
 Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:28 pm
Good luck to Bobby Lamb. I look forward to watching things get rolling at good ole’ AU.
gman84 liked this
 #41310  by FUBeAR
 Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:35 pm
A few comments…

1) Coach Lamb will do an outstanding job of getting the Trojans’ Football program started & headed in the right direction.

Some know FUBeAR Jr. was a “Day1” Player for Mercer & played for Coach Lamb his entire time as a Bear. Also, Coach Lamb & FUBeAR were FU Teammates, so FUBeAR expresses this confidence from a unique & mostly 1st-Hand perspective. There is only 1 Head Coach who Anderson could have hired who holds the NCAA D1 record for most 1st season wins by a start-up program & they got that man.

Very excited for Coach Lamb & his family!
———————————————————————
2) The startup timeline expressed appears a bit longer than was Mercer’s. Coach Lamb was hired @ Mercer shortly following his departure from FU after the 2011 season. Mercer began recruiting Players, without the benefit of Athletics Scholarships, in January of 2012. Those Players enrolled @ Mercer & practiced (only) the Fall of 2012 & Spring of 2013, while recruiting their 2nd class of non-scholarship Players. They began play in the PFL in the Fall of 2013, going 10-2 & very nearly winning the PFL Championship & making the FCS Playoffs with almost all FR & R-FR Players https://mercerbears.com/sports/football/schedule/2013. Mercer signed their 1st class of Scholarship Players in 2014 & began SoCon play that Fall.
————————————————
3) Interesting / Kinda Funny Anecdote - FUBeAR, while ‘on hiatus’ (long story) temporarily from serving as a Grad Asst Football Coach for the Paladins in 1983, was asked to help in the Ticket Office the week of the 1st Playoff game vs. Boston University. Answering the phone one day late in the week, a major donor (as I later learned) requested his usual location for his seats to the game from FUBeAR. Unfortunately, they had already been sold to another donor. That news was not well-received and my further interaction with that donor (Dr. Younts, as you may have guessed), did not go well - most certainly because FUBeAR was as a young arrogant idiot with no skills or experience in Customer Service. Also, as you can tell, I’ve not forgotten it; so it was an important learning experience for me. That was my 1 & only interface with Dr. Younts to date. As an amazing benefactor to so many for so long, I hope to somehow have the opportunity to meet him, personally, some day. I wonder if he would remember our call. Anderson & Furman are so fortunate to be recipients of his long-standing benevolence.
dornb, gman84 liked this
 #41311  by Affirm
 Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:12 pm
Great commentary FUBeAR.
Furman website indicates Melvin Younts funded FU’s first-ever endowed football scholarship in 1972.
… he’d have been in his early 40’s then?
… about early 90’s now?
… about his early 50’s at the time of that phone encounter?
I would not be surprised if he remembers that call.
Is referred to as Dr. Younts.
Lawyer (retired?).
 #41313  by The Jackal
 Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:24 am
FUBeAR wrote:
A few comments…

1) Coach Lamb will do an outstanding job of getting the Trojans’ Football program started & headed in the right direction.

Some know FUBeAR Jr. was a “Day1” Player for Mercer & played for Coach Lamb his entire time as a Bear. Also, Coach Lamb & FUBeAR were FU Teammates, so FUBeAR expresses this confidence from a unique & mostly 1st-Hand perspective. There is only 1 Head Coach who Anderson could have hired who holds the NCAA D1 record for most 1st season wins by a start-up program & they got that man.

———————————————————————
2) The startup timeline expressed appears a bit longer than was Mercer’s. Coach Lamb was hired @ Mercer shortly following his departure from FU after the 2011 season. Mercer began recruiting Players, without the benefit of Athletics Scholarships, in January of 2012. Those Players enrolled @ Mercer & practiced (only) the Fall of 2012 & Spring of 2013, while recruiting their 2nd class of non-scholarship Players. They began play in the PFL in the Fall of 2013, going 10-2 & very nearly winning the PFL Championship & making the FCS Playoffs with almost all FR & R-FR Players https://mercerbears.com/sports/football/schedule/2013. Mercer signed their 1st class of Scholarship Players in 2014 & began SoCon play that Fall.
————————————————
3) Interesting / Kinda Funny Anecdote - FUBeAR, while ‘on hiatus’ (long story) temporarily from serving as a Grad Asst Football Coach for the Paladins in 1983, was asked to help in the Ticket Office the week of the 1st Playoff game vs. Boston University. Answering the phone one day late in the week, a major donor (as I later learned) requested his usual location for his seats to the game from FUBeAR. Unfortunately, they had already been sold to another donor. That news was not well-received and my further interaction with that donor (Dr. Younts, as you may have guessed), did not go well - most certainly because FUBeAR was as a young arrogant idiot with no skills or experience in Customer Service. Also, as you can tell, I’ve not forgotten it; so it was an important learning experience for me. That was my 1 & only interface with Dr. Younts to date. As an amazing benefactor to so many for so long, I hope to somehow have the opportunity to meet him, personally, some day. I wonder if he would remember our call. Anderson & Furman are so fortunate to be recipients of his long-standing benevolence.

Lamb was out as Furman's coach after the 2010 season, not 2011, I believe. I think he announced his resignation either the day of or the day after Furman's home loss to Georgia Southern.

He makes sense for Anderson - established head coach, from "the area," with knowledge of how to startup a program. Lamb continues what has been a pretty unique career path from what I can tell.

I am not sure what Anderson's timeline is, but I think you can move a startup a little faster than Mercer did and be alright. ETSU, I believe, had a more expedited timeline than Mercer and jumped right into the SoCon. There's no "right" way to do it, I'm sure, but Lamb would be one of the few coaches in the country that has a pretty good idea of what it takes to get a program off the ground.

Good luck to him.
 #41314  by gman84
 Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:24 am
As far as AU’s timeline is concerned, they officially announced in the fall of 2019. Their plan has always been to start in the ‘24 season. Knowing how they operate, since my daughter enrolled in ‘18, they are comfortable with their plan.
mathprofhiker liked this
 #41316  by FUBeAR
 Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:46 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:24 am
FUBeAR wrote:
A few comments…

———————————————————————

Lamb was out as Furman's coach after the 2010 season, not 2011, I believe. I think he announced his resignation either the day of or the day after Furman's home loss to Georgia Southern.

He makes sense for Anderson - established head coach, from "the area," with knowledge of how to startup a program. Lamb continues what has been a pretty unique career path from what I can tell.

I am not sure what Anderson's timeline is, but I think you can move a startup a little faster than Mercer did and be alright. ETSU, I believe, had a more expedited timeline than Mercer and jumped right into the SoCon. There's no "right" way to do it, I'm sure, but Lamb would be one of the few coaches in the country that has a pretty good idea of what it takes to get a program off the ground.

Good luck to him.
Correct about Coach Lamb’s departure date from FU. So, Mercer had a HC in Jan of 2011 & began play Fall of 2013.

Incorrect about ETSU. Coach Torbush was hired by ETSU 6/13. They brought in their 1st Class of Players (scholarship) in Fall of 2014, practiced that Fall & Spring of 2015. They played as an FCS Independent in 2015 & began SoCon play in 2016…with 3 Recruited classes of scholarship Players.

So, almost the same timeline & path as Mercer, just 2 years later…and ETSU joined the SoCon with 3 recruited classes of scholarship Players (2014-16) vs. Mercer’s 1 such class (2014).
 #41327  by Davemeister
 Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:52 am
I'm sure he could . . . if he wanted to.

BL was at Furman for a long time. He has lived more of his life in Greenville than in Commerce. I think he will take up residence in the Upstate.
 #41330  by Affirm
 Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:50 am
Davemeister wrote:

BL was at Furman for a long time. He has lived more of his life in Greenville than in Commerce. I think he will take up residence in the Upstate.
Hope so.
 #41342  by MNORM
 Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:01 pm
affirm wrote:
Davemeister wrote:

Hope so.
Unless there's another Bobby Lamb in Commerce, I'm fairly certain he's living there now...at least that's where his location was on FB Marketplace a few weeks ago when some golf clubs he was selling popped up on my feed.
 #41349  by cavedweller2
 Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:54 am
Good thing he got that job at AU. Must be hard up to have to sell his golf clubs.
Davemeister, QCGlue liked this
 #41353  by FUBeAR
 Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:03 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Good thing he got that job at AU. Must be hard up to have to sell his golf clubs.
Hmmm…you may be right.

Speaking of…anyone interested in a full set (3-SW) of 1989 model PingEye2 irons. Stiff shafts, 1” longer than Std. Regripped at least within the past 10-15 years. I think, after 32 years, I might oughta upgrade.

As FUBeAR will be adding his likeness to each club, starting bidding of $5,000
 #41355  by Affirm
 Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:33 pm
MNORM wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:01 pm
affirm wrote:
Davemeister wrote:

Hope so.
Unless there's another Bobby Lamb in Commerce, I'm fairly certain he's living there now...at least that's where his location was on FB Marketplace a few weeks ago when some golf clubs he was selling popped up on my feed.
With that info, even though I still hope he moves back to the upstate, I am guessing he’ll stay in GA. 59 miles on I-85 is not that far.
 #41358  by Rokawaylifer
 Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:01 pm
Stiff shafts i inch longer than standard. Where is that mouth breather that reported me for talking foul.? Those are great clubs.
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:03 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Hmmm…you may be right.

Speaking of…anyone interested in a full set (3-SW) of 1989 model PingEye2 irons. Stiff shafts, 1” longer than Std. Regripped at least within the past 10-15 years. I think, after 32 years, I might oughta upgrade.

As FUBeAR will be adding his likeness to each club, starting bidding of $5,000
FUBeAR liked this