• Bobby Lamb coming back to the Upstate

#41289  by mathprofhiker
 Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:13 pm
I'm on the faculty at Anderson University. Among the realistic options to be our first head coach, I was hoping for either Lamb or Fowler. So it looks like we're off to a pretty good start. I don't see us going DI in the foreseeable future, but we could make a good buy-a-game opponent if Furman ever gets in a scheduling pinch. Based on the number of fans we usually bring to Timmons for the SAC basketball tournament, our fans would probably travel as well as some Socon teams for a game at Furman.
tim, apaladin, Furmanoid and 2 others liked this
 #41290  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:33 pm
mathprofhiker wrote:
I'm on the faculty at Anderson University. Among the realistic options to be our first head coach, I was hoping for either Lamb or Fowler. So it looks like we're off to a pretty good start. I don't see us going DI in the foreseeable future, but we could make a good buy-a-game opponent if Furman ever gets in a scheduling pinch. Based on the number of fans we usually bring to Timmons for the SAC basketball tournament, our fans would probably travel as well as some Socon teams for a game at Furman.
Where is Anderson gonna play? Hannah?
 #41291  by gman84
 Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:54 pm
Good for BL!! My daughter is a rising senior at AU. She has had a great time there. Definitely a school on the rise. Christian based, private university and very affordable. Kinda reminds me of the way FU was back in the 80s. We first visited the school in the spring of 2017, they had just finished their new student center. They said we’re Anderson University, we are different than most schools and we our proud to say this. I expect big things in AU’s future. Same for BL.
 #41292  by gman84
 Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:59 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:33 pm
mathprofhiker wrote:
Where is Anderson gonna play? Hannah?
They are converting their soccer stadium. Will be Spero Financial Field at Dr. Melvin and Dollie Younts Stadium. Look on AU’s Instagram page.
mathprofhiker liked this
 #41293  by Affirm
 Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:27 pm
I guess it’s normal, but still it seems like it’s a long time before they even have to play their first game - the 2021 season … the 2022 season … and the 2023 season … will all come and go before their first game, even before their spring practice. Bobby Lamb would be 62 years old by then. Still pretty young, he could potentially have a very good 5-run. Not at all unexpected that he could coach and win several games against SoCon teams, including Furman, during his tenure at Anderson University. The bigger question for me is: what is Furman football going to be during 2021 through 2028. (2028 will be the 5th season of Anderson University’s program.)
 #41295  by gman84
 Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:41 pm
affirm wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:27 pm
I guess it’s normal, but still it seems like it’s a long time before they even have to play their first game - the 2021 season … the 2022 season … and the 2023 season … will all come and go before their first game, even before their spring practice. Bobby Lamb would be 62 years old by then. Still pretty young, he could potentially have a very good 5-run. Not at all unexpected that he could coach and win several games against SoCon teams, including Furman, during his tenure at Anderson University. The bigger question for me is: what is Furman football going to be during 2021 through 2028. (2028 will be the 5th season of Anderson University’s program.)
Yes, normal. Go back and look at the timeline of Mercer hiring BL and playing their first game. Not a very long time considering what has to happen before a game is played.
 #41296  by Affirm
 Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:02 pm
What is the magnificent gift referred to by President Whitaker? Is it $1 million for which 25 year stadium naming rights are given? One big gift like that can lead to additional gifts. I will not be surprised if Anderson becomes D1 in the next 15 years, perhaps SoCon or Big South.
 #41299  by mathprofhiker
 Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:49 pm
affirm wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:02 pm
What is the magnificent gift referred to by President Whitaker? Is it $1 million for which 25 year stadium naming rights are given? One big gift like that can lead to additional gifts. I will not be surprised if Anderson becomes D1 in the next 15 years, perhaps SoCon or Big South.
We got a much bigger gift than that:

https://andersonuniversity.edu/news/aufootball

Our progress toward the meeting challenge is not public information, but the rumor that we're hiring Lamb (which I can't confirm: I heard it here first) is an indicator.
gman84 liked this
 #41302  by Affirm
 Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:46 am
Melvin Younts is apparently a 1950 Furman alumnus. Dollie Younts passed away in July 2018. Numerous significant gifted have been made in their names to Furman. The conference center is named for them. In addition to Anderson University and Furman University, their generosity and interest have benefited Newberry College, North Greenville University, and Clemson University. The Greenville County Library location in Fountain Inn received funding from them and is named for their late daughter Kerry Ann. Also, the cultural center in Fountain Inn is named for them.
mathprofhiker liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.