• Future Schedules

#41157  by apaladin
 Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:35 am
2023 and 2025 are set. Still need 2 games for 2022, just a year away and 2024 the next year for 12 games. Hopefully JD has some games booked for next year but just hasn’t announced them for some reason. Would like to see another FBS game for 2024 to go with the Ole Miss game. I suspect a home and home with someone for 2022 and 2024 but that may be hard to do since we need an ooc home game for both years. We have no ooc games past 2025 but UT is tentatve. May be forced to add another FBS game for 2022 if no FCS games are to be had. Of course we can always call Point U.
https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/furman/
 #41225  by Affirm
 Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:29 pm
Noticed Samford has a future hone and home contract vs. UIW, which is University of the Incarnate Word located in San Antonio. If that private SoCon football program and that private opponent can each mutually travel that far (it is a long way from Birmingham to San Antonio) in consecutive seasons for an FCS OOC game, then I am AGAIN suggesting that Furman should be seeking similar FCS opponents for FCS OOC games, especially opponents near cities with big airports. Or maybe it's just not worth the effort, the cost, the wear and tear on the teams, etc.; but I think it would at least make the schedule more interesting and spread the publicity and possibly the recruiting footprint somewhat.
 #41226  by Paul C
 Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:04 pm
Why do airports matter? Bus 2 don’t need a runway.
FUBeAR liked this
 #41227  by The Jackal
 Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:35 pm
affirm wrote:
Noticed Samford has a future hone and home contract vs. UIW, which is University of the Incarnate Word located in San Antonio. If that private SoCon football program and that private opponent can each mutually travel that far (it is a long way from Birmingham to San Antonio) in consecutive seasons for an FCS OOC game, then I am AGAIN suggesting that Furman should be seeking similar FCS opponents for FCS OOC games, especially opponents near cities with big airports. Or maybe it's just not worth the effort, the cost, the wear and tear on the teams, etc.; but I think it would at least make the schedule more interesting and spread the publicity and possibly the recruiting footprint somewhat.
There are probably not as many private FCS schools as you might expect that would fit this bill.

The Ivy League has a few schools in major metro areas. Villanova and, arguably, San Diego would be options. Houston Baptist maybe.

Beyond that, there are a couple of schools in the rust belt-midwest that I just don't get too excited about - Duquesne, Drake, Butler, Robert Morris. A number of those schools are non-scholarship.

Also, Furman is already recruiting heavily in Texas. They are one of the few SoCon schools that pull that off. So, while I get the sentiment, using playing in Texas as an example of how Furman could expand their recruiting footprint isn't a great example. They are already doing that.

As an aside, I also wouldn't try too hard to follow what Samford is doing. The Bulldogs have generally produced one of the leagues' worst schedules.
 #41228  by Affirm
 Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:57 am
Paul C wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:04 pm
Why do airports matter? Bus 2 don’t need a runway.
I’m certain Samford will not bus 12.5 hrs to San Antonio. UIW will not bus 12.5 hrs to B’ham. We don’t want our team or fans to have to spend 12+ hours getting to or from any opponent, other than when necessary in a playoff situation.
 #41229  by Affirm
 Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:33 am
The Jackal wrote:
affirm wrote:
There are probably not as many private FCS schools as you might expect that would fit this bill.

The Ivy League has a few schools in major metro areas. Villanova and, arguably, San Diego would be options. Houston Baptist maybe.

Beyond that, there are a couple of schools in the rust belt-midwest that I just don't get too excited about - Duquesne, Drake, Butler, Robert Morris. A number of those schools are non-scholarship.

Also, Furman is already recruiting heavily in Texas. They are one of the few SoCon schools that pull that off. So, while I get the sentiment, using playing in Texas as an example of how Furman could expand their recruiting footprint isn't a great example. They are already doing that.

As an aside, I also wouldn't try too hard to follow what Samford is doing. The Bulldogs have generally produced one of the leagues' worst schedules.
Not just recruiting football players, but also recruiting other students, may be helped when Furman Football is played in states where we are not very well known. So I would continue to promote Texas schools as potential opponents, if near enough to airports in Houston, DFW, and San Antonio - even if public universities.
Some other public universities that I’d like to see us have home and home are Indiana State, Missouri State, Delaware, Towson, and Rhode Island. (And let’s keep it going with W&M.)
Some private colleges I suggest for home and home are Holy Cross, Colgate, Wagner, Long Island University, Bryant, Sacred Heart, Georgetown, Robert Morris, Villanova as you mentioned, plus (as previously requested in another thread) Richmond (bus) and Elon (bus). (I also like possibilities with Bucknell, Lafayette, and Lehigh —but those are not listed in this post because they seem not particularly close to any big airports.)
 #41232  by apaladin
 Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:28 pm
Size of the airport doesn’t really matter as the team would fly on a charter but I guess for fans it would matter. When we went with the team to Missouri, Columbia, Mo. was a small airport and our charter was pretty big. It was all the pilot could do to get it stopped/turned before the end of the runway.
 #41241  by The Jackal
 Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:43 pm
affirm wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
affirm wrote:

Not just recruiting football players, but also recruiting other students, may be helped when Furman Football is played in states where we are not very well known. So I would continue to promote Texas schools as potential opponents, if near enough to airports in Houston, DFW, and San Antonio - even if public universities.
Some other public universities that I’d like to see us have home and home are Indiana State, Missouri State, Delaware, Towson, and Rhode Island. (And let’s keep it going with W&M.)
Some private colleges I suggest for home and home are Holy Cross, Colgate, Wagner, Long Island University, Bryant, Sacred Heart, Georgetown, Robert Morris, Villanova as you mentioned, plus (as previously requested in another thread) Richmond (bus) and Elon (bus). (I also like possibilities with Bucknell, Lafayette, and Lehigh —but those are not listed in this post because they seem not particularly close to any big airports.)

Yes and no. Close to 70% of Furman's student body is from the Southeast. Sometimes that's just who you are.

As far as the football team, go schedule good games that folks want to see. We don't have to play Alabama, but we also don't have to play Presbyterian and Gardner Webb every year either.
apaladin, dornb, Paladin575 liked this
 #41242  by Roundball
 Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:16 pm
The Jackal wrote:
affirm wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
affirm wrote:

Yes and no. Close to 70% of Furman's student body is from the Southeast. Sometimes that's just who you are.

As far as the football team, go schedule good games that folks want to see. We don't have to play Alabama, but we also don't have to play Presbyterian and Gardner Webb every year either.
Besides Woffy and The Citadel (for the older folks), is there a SoCon team that will draw a lot of fans?
 #41244  by The Jackal
 Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:17 pm
Roundball wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
affirm wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
affirm wrote:

Besides Woffy and The Citadel (for the older folks), is there a SoCon team that will draw a lot of fans?

There isn't. But that's not too unexpected after GSU and App State left.

Furman draws pretty well on the road. Furman is usually one of the biggest home draws for most of the SoCon.
 #41245  by apaladin
 Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:41 pm
Roundball wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
affirm wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
affirm wrote:

Are you taking about drawing Furman fans to PS. If yes then yes those 2 are the biggest draw for FU fans. If you are talking about those teams bringing fans only the Citadel would be a yes. WC travels very poorly.
 #53186  by apaladin
 Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:09 pm
Roundball wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:14 pm
Could our 2023 game with S. Carolina be canceled so the shamecocks can play a FBS game against Jacksonville State? Sounds like they will need to cancel our game or Liberty. Based on Liberty’s response, it will be that game, I hope. https://www.thestate.com/sports/college ... ntJosM3iJs
Sounds like Liberty is the game they are looking at changing, Liberty is moving conferences so they may be the one thats needs the game changed,
 #53213  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:43 am
From today’s The State:

A rescheduling of the UNC or Clemson games is highly doubtful, leaving either the Furman or Liberty game as the most likely change on the schedule. A spokesperson for the Furman football program told The State they were unaware of any alterations to the scheduled 2023 game between the Paladins and Gamecocks.

Liberty, however, offered a more ambiguous response.

“Liberty is in the process of making changes to our football schedules in 2023 and beyond due to transitioning from being an Independent to a member of Conference USA,” Liberty athletic director Ian McCaw told The State in a prepared statement. “We cannot comment on any specific game changes until they are contractually resolved.”

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.