• How do we fill our 16,000 seat Paladin stadium? Which Home Schedule is more appealing?

#40989  by Mocs123
 Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:35 am
Interesting topic and one that interests me as we have the same discussions on Moc Nation. We have a stadium with the capacity of 20K and averaged 8K in 2019 and even in our best years the past decade were only slightly over 10K average attendance. While our situations are slightly different, we are both facing a similar problem.

I have always felt with a city as large as Chattanooga having a huge amount of alumni within reasonable driving distance of Finley stadium we should have no problem averaging 15K per game if we just put a winning team on the field. We had three straight years in the top 10 and we were ranked as high as #3 in the FCS polls – we put a winning product on the field and still could not seem to manage more attendance than around 10K. I came to the realization then that we will likely never average more than 10K for home games.

While it is true that most SoCon schools do not travel well, we should not rely on the other team to fill our stands. Our best attended games other than the Finley Stadium opener against TSU, have all been against JSU, which travels well but is not in our conference, and App State, and GSU, neither of which we play anymore. What we lack is a connection to the city of Chattanooga. Chattanooga is largely a commuter school and students are not Mocs fans. They are either Vol fans, Tide fans, or Bulldog Fans. I work with a UTC alum whose daughter is currently a UTC student. He would never even think of going to a UTC sporting event despite the fact that he is an alum and lives 20 minutes away from campus. He is however a UT Vols football season ticket holder and drives 90 minutes to games regularly. Until we are able to change the culture of our students and alumni that the Mocs are THEIR team, we will continue to struggle with attendance. A couple of years ago, I had talked my neighbor (USC graduates) into going to a game. They drove down to the stadium and left because parking was too far away – never mind that it was probably only a couple of blocks walk to the stadium. This same neighbor regularly attends USC home games where I am sure he has to walk forever to get to the stadium.

One reality that set in was Finley, while a nice facility is really too big for our needs. It is also not on campus, which was probably a mistake, but at the time, there was simply not space for a new on campus stadium. I think we probably should have played at a HS stadium for a year while we tore down Chamberlin and put a new stadium in its footprint, but that is water under the bridge now.

There has been some talk of building a new stadium that is owned by the University (Finley is owned by Stadium Corp, not the School) and trying to build something on or closer to campus. I am not sure how serious this talk is – my gut tells me it is not too serious considering the cost of a new facility, the fact that Finley is only 24 years old, and the fact that Finley Stadium could not survive without Chattanooga Athletics. We have a similar problem with our basketball facility, McKenzie Arena – it is twice the size we need. It has a capacity of 11K and we averaged less than 4K in 2019. The facility is 40 years old but it is a good facility and in the heart of campus, so we have made the decision to stay long term and have done a lot to improve the facility. There have been talks of somehow blocking off the upper deck and just using the lower bowl.

As much as it pains me to say this as I hate both of these schools but two schools I think have good models are ETSU and JSU.

ETSU built a nice, but small stadium right in the middle of campus. It’s small with only a 7K seat capacity, but since they average a sell out it feels better than a half capacity Finley Stadium. It seems that the Tri-State area has embraced the Bucs as their team and although I know many of them are Vol fans, they still support their local school. I think Mercer has gone a similar path and I’ve thought it Chattanooga were to build a new stadium – Five Star Stadium at Mercer would be a good template.

The other school that I think has done a good job is Jacksonville State. They average 17K per home game and have one of the better fan experiences in FCS (at least short of the HBCU’s, NDSU, and Montana). On top of that, unlike NDSU and Montana, they are right in the middle of SEC country and share that fight with the rest of the other Southeastern FCS schools. One thing that we have talked about on Mocs Nation is that the games are broadcast from the Home side looking at the Visitor’s side, which is normally empty. JSU’s visitor side was the old home side before the last renovation, so they kept the video booth where it was and the game is shot looking at the (impressive) home side.

Some good discussion here already but I do believe in both Furman and Chattanooga’s case it all starts with engaging the student body and the city – the city needs to feel that this is their team, and that’s easier said than done. Furman has some advantages because it has a rich football history; Chattanooga has some advantages, as there is a large number of alumni living in the metropolitan area, but both schools need to figure out how to get engrained into the fabric of the community.

I’m all for giving out free tickets to school age kids or even large employers in town. For the kids, if the kids want to go, the parents are going to go too, and they might want to come back, heck they might even become a fan if they like what they see on the field. For businesses in Chattanooga, you could make one game, TVA day, where you give free tickets to all TVA employees, another game could be Volkswagen day, where you give free tickets to VW employees, Blue Cross Day, Unum Day, etc . That might get some butts in the seats and you might get a few of those people to buy a ticket to the next game. You might even work with some local kids clubs or rec leagues giving out free tickets to kids football teams (or baseball teams, etc) to get some kids in the stands.

Keep concession prices reasonable and have some decent food options. I know Chattanooga has done some good work lately on having some better food options available. Keep it reasonable so you can bring a family to the game get some hot dogs and Cokes for the kids, and some Beer for the parents at a reasonable price. I’m not sure how much control we have over it, but parking too shouldn’t cost an arm and a leg.

Chattanooga’s band situation has long been laughable – I do think it’s about to get better, but still an option is to invite a local HS band to come in and perform at halftime or after a game. I know some of the North Georgia schools particularly have big bands. If the band kids come, their parents and siblings will come and they might have a good time and want to come back.

If the SoCon would work with us, it could help to try and schedule home games on weekends where the Vols are away, of course most of the people who watch the Vols instead of coming to a Mocs game are watching the Vols on TV not going in person, so perhaps that doesn’t help much.

Fireworks night has always been a big draw at the Chattanooga Lookouts (Minor League Baseball), what about having (and advertising) Fireworks after a game? What about used car night? That was always a sellout for the Lookouts? Could we do a “used car night” at a Mocs Football Game? I know these are gimmicky things, but what we need to do is get people out to games and show them a good time, so they want to come back. Getting new fans isn’t much different than a coach getting a recruit to sign, you have to get them on campus first, then the product can sell itself.
QCGlue, DoomedDin1127, dornb liked this
 #40999  by DoomedDin1127
 Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:40 pm
I really like what Mocs123 had to say. I hope the right people are viewing these discussions and act upon them. I especially like the idea of giving tickets to certain employees in Greenville. I think it could eventually become a tradition that certain games would bring themes potentially.

Hear me out, but there is a random McDonald’s in the Anderson/Clemson area that has always held a vintage car show. Think about how small (and strange) venues like that benefit off traditions. The people in these ‘68 Camaros aren’t going FOR the McDonald’s necessary, but they go because it’s a host. This gets people “through the door” and THEN they enjoy the fast food. This is how I think our games should function to a much larger scale. I hope my comparison makes sense...

Also, sell beer! There’s a lot of wacky local breweries in the area and I’m sure a deal could be made.

I get the strategic advantage of all our games set at noon, but to hell with it. I just don’t see a lot of people wanting to start drinking at 10am. Fireworks could come back when night games do!

I’ve heard JD openly state that a new tailgating area was in the works for a better fan experience. Does anyone have info on where it will be or when that will be constructed?

I am by NO means an expert on logistics, but I believe we are in control of what time the games are played at Paladin Stadium. If we were smart to schedule around when Clemson/USC are playing, maybe this will help especially when they’re playing away. If Clem plays at noon at some mediocre ACC school, and we play at home then why not schedule it at 6? This gives those clem fans a chance to head over after watching TV and see MORE football! They don’t even have to change shirts as long as it’s purple!
 #41001  by Mocs123
 Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:49 pm
Interesting that Paladin fans are also complaining about kickoff times as I thought it was just Chattanooga. We've had an unusual amount of early kickoffs as well with afternoon kickoffs in September - It's often HOT in September. I think a couple of games in 2019 it was over 90* at kickoff. Our fans seem to prefer 7:00 kickoffs particularly early in the year, but for whatever reason we haven't had many lately.

You got me interested and I looked at our fall schedule and all of our SoCon home games are at 1:30. I would have said the AD was just lazy and wanted to have Saturday nights free, but perhaps its something more. Could the SoCon be pushing for earlier kickoffs?

Our homecoming game on October 2nd is a 1:30 kick - what a terrible time for a homecoming game kickoff.

We tried scheduling our kickoff times around UTK, UA, and UGA games a couple of years ago and it wasn't overly successful. You have a reasonable split of fans in the Chattanooga area and you could never avoid all the games. The other issue we ran into was the SEC wouldn't announce kickoff times until the week before, so therefore we couldn't announce our kickoff times, which made things harder on the fans planning their Saturday. It sounds like a good plan, and perhaps you will be better at implementing it than we were.
 #41199  by FUpaladin08
 Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:08 pm
tim wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:27 am
I've wondered why Furman discontinued fireworks nights after football, it seemed to bump attendance. Moving basketball and football on campus from downtown Greenville seemed like a great idea at the time but it seemed to decline attendance.
I’m late to the game here (took all morning to catch up on this thread).

We need to have realistic goals. We need to average 8k a game and hit 10k once a year before we can ever imagine seeing 16k again. I’d be curious if the athletic dept could put together a study to find out where all the fans from the 80s/90s/early 2000s went? Heck, toss that over to the Math dept for extra credit.

No doubt it has to do with the disconnect from Greenville, streaming options, lack of a game day experience, and the pretty awful product put on the field until recently. Can’t fix the streaming, but we can improve game day and the win column.

I think the Greenville connection is the best option for the biggest impact. It’s been mentioned but look at what the Drive and Swamp Rabbits have done with their downtown presence. I remember when the Drive started Thursday night dollar beers. The beers have become smaller and lighter since then but the fans stayed. The issue is getting Greenville to come to Furman. I believe an attempt was made to host a Spring game at Sirrine Stadium and that’s a great idea. Maybe we never should have renovated PS and put all of those resources into Sirrine with a grand move back downtown? That’s a non-starter at this point, but we see the basketball team doing it with the games at The Well and the baseball team (rip) did at Fluor Field. Football is at a disadvantage with no ability to play in Greenville so that’s an uphill climb. I would love to see some attempt to play a game at Sirrine Stadium. I doubt the facilities are in place to host a college game, but just a scrimmage against NGU could have some draw from Greenville fans. Maybe even come up with some throwback jerseys to wear (like those goofy shirts with targets on the chest).

Everything else has already been discussed every year when the same topic is posted. It is surely discussed by the AD too since they do seem to have pushed the game day experience recently. I believe a common rebuttal to the free ticket giveaway has been Furman’s need to hold onto tickets for walkups and visiting teams. I say we call 12k a sellout and take those extra 4k tickets and hand them out with all of the community giveaways discussed. There’s also an empty lot behind the visiting stands that makes for a great place to hold game day festivities. Handout coupons for buy some food get a free soda. Give away those tickets, promote the concessions, and that will generate more revenue than empty stands. I recall basketball doing a good job with the all you can eat concessions promo years ago.

Unfortunately we might be experiencing a shift in athletics at Furman. Basketball seems to be the new star and baseball is gone. Furman is apparently a powerhouse in XC and Track. Tennis, golf, and soccer are all successful. These sports might resemble the shift in students Furman has chosen to recruit over the last 20 years? It’s possible we will have to grapple with football taking a backseat until they can learn to adapt. Or get back to its roots, win on the field, and make game day something the average Greenvillian wants to watch in person.

**but if we are stuck with 4-6k fans at a home game I am all for 2 FBS games. Chase that money!
 #41203  by apaladin
 Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:27 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:55 am
I like the idea of playing a game at Sirrine just to see what would happen.
I think it was determined before a game at Sirrine was not feasible. Too many upgrades needed to host a college game from the field to technical stuff.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.