• New Bellhop Logo

#41102  by AstroDin
 Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:58 am
^^^ Dennis Zeiger designed the Diamond F.
Dennis does browse here every now and then - maybe he can comment.

I'll post what I know of the story in a bit.
 #41103  by Davemeister
 Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:59 am
Diamond F aside, the most awesome and respected (though unofficial) pictorial logo of the Football Program was the Death Dealer.
FUBeAR, bj93 liked this
 #41104  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:05 pm
gman84 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:48 am
The diamond F was not a "Sheridan thing". Others know the exact event that brought about the diamond F, I don't. But it was created by a student. His last name escapes me, Dennis....? It was during the early Sheridan years.
The Diamond <F> pre-dated Coach Sheridan’s ascent to Head Coach in 1978. I know it was in use on the Football Helmet during my recruiting process in 1977 & I recall it being on the helmets when I attended the FU @ NC State game in 1976.

The Football Helmet Project http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/ says this helmet…

…was in use from 1973-1977.

Coach Sheridan switched away from Silver being a primary color (helmets & home pants) to using Purple & White (helmets & home pants) with Silver remaining, but as an accent color in all striping. We also moved from Silver (gray, actually) facemasks to purple and (proudly) wore this helmet…

…during Coach Sheridan’s tenure, and well beyond.
gman84, Davemeister liked this
 #41105  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:48 pm
Guess it’s just coincidence. He coached the Diamond Hornets of LR, then went to FU about the time they did the diamond, then did personally redesign the NC State logo into a diamond.
 #41107  by AstroDin
 Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:25 pm
To Bear's point Art Baker was still in the mix till he left for the Dogs. I can't remember who all was involved like if Sheridan was involved as Assistant? But the Dallas Cowboy star I believe was a design influence.

Dennis did a great job designing a logo that has stood the test of time.
gman84, MNORM liked this
 #41108  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:49 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Guess it’s just coincidence. He coached the Diamond Hornets of LR, then went to FU about the time they did the diamond, then did personally redesign the NC State logo into a diamond.
You sure he Coached at Lower Richland?

I know he was at Eau Claire as an Asst, then HC at Orangeburg/Orangeburg-Wilkinson, then HC @ Airport High before he came to FU.

EDIT - just found this in article about his induction into the SC Athletics HoF…no Diamond Hornets mentioned…

A 1964 graduate of the University of South Carolina, Sheridan began his coaching career as a basketball head coach and football assistant at Eau Claire High School in Columbia. In 1969 he became head football coach at Orangeburg High School and later Orangeburg-Wilkinson High School and went 28-6-1 over his three-year stint.

In 1971, Sheridan led the newly-formed Bruins to a 13-0 record and the school's lone state Class 4-A football championship with current Clemson offensive coordinator Mike O'Cain at quarterback.

Sheridan left O-W following the 1971 season and coached Airport High School to a 9-2 mark before being named offensive coordinator at Furman University.
 #41109  by Stumpy
 Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:00 pm
Flagman wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:33 pm
We best not throw rocks. We've got the ugly knight's head. Does anyone think Clemson would ever add another image?
 #41110  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:14 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:49 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
You sure he Coached at Lower Richland?

I know he was at Eau Claire as an Asst, then HC at Orangeburg/Orangeburg-Wilkinson, then HC @ Airport High before he came to FU.

EDIT - just found this in article about his induction into the SC Athletics HoF…no Diamond Hornets mentioned…

A 1964 graduate of the University of South Carolina, Sheridan began his coaching career as a basketball head coach and football assistant at Eau Claire High School in Columbia. In 1969 he became head football coach at Orangeburg High School and later Orangeburg-Wilkinson High School and went 28-6-1 over his three-year stint.

In 1971, Sheridan led the newly-formed Bruins to a 13-0 record and the school's lone state Class 4-A football championship with current Clemson offensive coordinator Mike O'Cain at quarterback.

Sheridan left O-W following the 1971 season and coached Airport High School to a 9-2 mark before being named offensive coordinator at Furman University.
You are right. It was Airport. My bad.
 #41111  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:30 pm
Stumpy wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:00 pm
Flagman wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:33 pm
We best not throw rocks. We've got the ugly knight's head. Does anyone think Clemson would ever add another image?
BeaverPandaCat?
 #41112  by DoomedDin1127
 Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:14 pm
I think I remember hearing that the diamond F was influenced by the shapes (hypo cycloids) in the Steelers logo. I could be totally wrong though.
 #41115  by gofurman
 Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:46 pm
great stuff - would love to know more! Was Dennis inspired by the Steelers logo etc.? Maybe he will chime in - regardless I really appreciate the logo Dennis !!!!!!
 #41116  by FUPlayer74
 Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:43 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:05 pm
gman84 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:48 am
The diamond F was not a "Sheridan thing". Others know the exact event that brought about the diamond F, I don't. But it was created by a student. His last name escapes me, Dennis....? It was during the early Sheridan years.
The Diamond <F> pre-dated Coach Sheridan’s ascent to Head Coach in 1978. I know it was in use on the Football Helmet during my recruiting process in 1977 & I recall it being on the helmets when I attended the FU @ NC State game in 1976.

The Football Helmet Project http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/ says this helmet…

…was in use from 1973-1977.

Coach Sheridan switched away from Silver being a primary color (helmets & home pants) to using Purple & White (helmets & home pants) with Silver remaining, but as an accent color in all striping. We also moved from Silver (gray, actually) facemasks to purple and (proudly) wore this helmet…

…during Coach Sheridan’s tenure, and well beyond.
The Diamond F was first worn by the 1973 Paladins, coached by Art Baker. Dick Sheridan was on the staff as OL coach. That team went 7-4 and was awarded the Dunkel Index Most Improved team in the country.
The team did model the Dallas Cowboys unis with silver helmets, silver britches, and white shoes, and had a pretty good qb named David Whitehurst. Some other notable members of the staff that year included Jimmy Satterfield, Steve Robertson, Ken Pettus, Harold Wheeler, Eric Hyman, JL Shoop.
 #41118  by apaladin
 Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:43 am
Speaking of David Whitehurst he only threw for 3,122 yds in his 4 year career. He only threw for 1,000 yds one time and that was his senior year when he threw for 1,019 yds. By comparison HS threw for 1,258 yds in only 7 games this spring. Of course the game has changed a lot since the mid 70’s.
 #41120  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:09 am
I think I remember seeing Whitehurst make his first start for the Packers vs (I think) the Redskins on Monday Night Football. Howard Cosel said nice things about him, and I think they may have won even though they weren’t good. I had 2 big brothers at FU so it was a big deal ( one of them used to play tennis with Art Baker and said he was a really nice guy).
 #41123  by DiamonDin
 Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:08 pm
FUPlayer74 is correct in his discussion of the timing of the “Diamond F”. I would add that it was coach Steve Robertson who asked me to come up with a design for the helmet. I was an art major who had designed a couple of things for football so I guess that was why he contacted me. His only input was that it be something simple, like the Cowboy’s star. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect it to still be in use almost 50 years later!
FUBeAR, AstroDin, bj93 and 7 others liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.