• SoCon Tournament stays in Asheville

#41000  by Roundball
 Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:34 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:33 pm
Watch what you say, people. In Wokeville, if you voice concern for your property or safety you will be called a racist.
Back to the reason for this thread, it is not going to be moved from a great city that supports the tournament. We can all feel safe in Asheville, or just stay at home and watch it on tv. There will be plenty of police presence at tournament time. I will be there. Remember, you can face crime anywhere, including in an affluent neighborhood (like Verdae) in Greenville.
FU69 liked this
 #41002  by Louis Tully
 Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:02 pm
That's why one should always be packin'.
tim liked this
 #41004  by FU69
 Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:42 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:35 am
Gonna be like San Francisco. 19 Walgreens have closed in SF due to theft which police will not, can not respnond to. Did you see the films of people walking into stores getting a bunch of stuff and then just walking out without paying? Asheville will see the same. Agree Asheville should reconsider since police protection will be minimal if not non-existent. Will you be comfortable leaving your car for several hours knowing it could be broken into, vandalized or stolen?
Watched, but couldn't stop, same thing by two people in TR at Walgreens. Sad commentary.
 #41007  by FurmAlum
 Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:15 pm
That's a sad commentary about San Francisco. I can't imagine people walking into a Walgreen's in Clarksville, TN and walking out with stuff without paying. There's a good possibility they would be shot before they got to their car. Ergo it doesn't happen.

The neighborhoods are safe too. Two doors down from me lives a soldier from the 5th Special Forces Group and a across the street a helicopter pilot from the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Night Stalkers). Do you think it would be wise to break into a house of a special forces soldier? No it would not be.

Most of them are modest and you wouldn't even know they were in the military. But you don't want to mess with them either!

God bless them all.
tim, underjack liked this
 #41010  by Monday
 Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:41 am
Retail establishments, such as grocery and drug stores, have very lax enforcement when it comes to shoplifting. Long gone are the days of thieves being chased down in parking lots. Grocery stores would rather lose some merchandise than risk an employee trying to go John Wayne and hurting a customer or shoplifter. Heck, in some stores not even uniformed security officers have the authority to stop a shoplifter.

Shoplifting happens daily in every town by every kind of person. If you think otherwise, and that your town is a special kind of Mayberry, you are wrong.
 #41011  by Affirm
 Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:43 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:15 pm
That's a sad commentary about San Francisco. I can't imagine people walking into a Walgreen's in Clarksville, TN and walking out with stuff without paying. There's a good possibility they would be shot before they got to their car. Ergo it doesn't happen.

The neighborhoods are safe too. Two doors down from me lives a soldier from the 5th Special Forces Group and a across the street a helicopter pilot from the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Night Stalkers). Do you think it would be wise to break into a house of a special forces soldier? No it would not be.

Most of them are modest and you wouldn't even know they were in the military. But you don't want to mess with them either!

God bless them all.
Irrelevant.
 #41056  by FurmAlum
 Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:22 pm
Affirm, the point is it is not acceptable around here, in the southeast, or in most of the USA for people to go into stores and walk out with stuff without paying. What I meant was especially here in Tennessee it is not acceptable and does not go on to the extent that a major national drugstore chain would have to close multiple stores. Walgreens hasn't closed any stores here. The reference to the military was to illustrate that we have a lot of patriotic, law abiding citizens here. We also have a low crime rate, excellent public schools, and a booming economy.

I agree with Monday that YES, shoplifting does happen most everywhere and NO, retail managers and workers should not endanger themselves by chasing after shoplifters.

But a community where Walgreens has to close multiple stores due to excessive shoplifting is out of control and should be ashamed of itself! Would you want to raise your kids in a place like that?
 #41060  by Roundball
 Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:37 am
The only theft at the tournament this past year was letting VMI steal a win from us. I cannot wait until March so we can finally get over the hump.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.