• New QB

#40952  by Davemeister
 Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:06 am
Since we have only one QB with college experience, I will be surprised if he does not take the first snap on Sept. 4.
 #40953  by apaladin
 Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:02 am
Davemeister wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:06 am
Since we have only one QB with college experience, I will be surprised if he does not take the first snap on Sept. 4.
Sometimes experience is overrated. Talent is the main factor.
 #40954  by Furmanoid
 Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:46 pm
They sure went out and got a bunch of guys. Not sure you do that if you have much confidence in the incumbent.
 #40955  by The Jackal
 Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:35 am
Furmanoid wrote:
They sure went out and got a bunch of guys. Not sure you do that if you have much confidence in the incumbent.

It seems like a lot, but it may just be an opportunity to reorder the QB room.

I won't pretend to know how Furman structures its recruiting, but both Sisson and Grainger were taken in the 2018 class. So, in the 2018 season Furman had 4 scholarship QBs on roster - Roberts, Lincoln, Grainger, Sisson.

Lincoln at some point transferred out and Roberts graduated. Furman entered 2019 with just two scholarship QBs - Sisson and Grainger - and a third string walk-on (Hardin). That apparently was the plan for 2020, when they had a commit from Wilson for the 2021 class.

Furman didn't take a QB in the 2020 class. Maybe having two young QBs on roster, they felt comfortable enough with Hardin at #3. Maybe they didn't have anyone they liked enough as either a transfer or recruit. With the FCS scholarship limitations, you can't really afford to miss on players.

As I look back, Luke Shiflett's commitment to Furman as a transfer closely coincided with Lincoln's transfer out. So it could well have been that Shiflett was intended to take that spot in the QB room anyway, but ended up playing receiver early on.

So, while it seems like adding a lot, I view it as replacing two QB transfers outs with two QB transfers in. Wilson was going to join the roster regardless. We always take QB walk-ons, many of whom end up playing positions other than QB. Trey Robinson, Colin Anderson, Duncan Fletcher, and Ryan DeLuca are notable examples of high school QBs that played at a high level for Furman at some other position.
 #40956  by Davemeister
 Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:54 am
HS may indeed be replaced by a more talented new player, but I don't expect it to happen right away. The other QBs have to learn the playbook.
 #40957  by apaladin
 Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:26 pm
Davemeister wrote:
HS may indeed be replaced by a more talented new player, but I don't expect it to happen right away. The other QBs have to learn the playbook.
......... and we all know that takes at least 2 years. :shock:
 #40958  by Sad Din
 Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:06 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:26 pm
Davemeister wrote:
......... and we all know that takes at least 2 years. :shock:
haha. thats only if not related :roll:
apaladin, Jasper liked this
 #41170  by Johnnytuckerson33
 Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:53 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:35 am
Furmanoid wrote:

It seems like a lot, but it may just be an opportunity to reorder the QB room.

I won't pretend to know how Furman structures its recruiting, but both Sisson and Grainger were taken in the 2018 class. So, in the 2018 season Furman had 4 scholarship QBs on roster - Roberts, Lincoln, Grainger, Sisson.

Lincoln at some point transferred out and Roberts graduated. Furman entered 2019 with just two scholarship QBs - Sisson and Grainger - and a third string walk-on (Hardin). That apparently was the plan for 2020, when they had a commit from Wilson for the 2021 class.

Furman didn't take a QB in the 2020 class. Maybe having two young QBs on roster, they felt comfortable enough with Hardin at #3. Maybe they didn't have anyone they liked enough as either a transfer or recruit. With the FCS scholarship limitations, you can't really afford to miss on players.

As I look back, Luke Shiflett's commitment to Furman as a transfer closely coincided with Lincoln's transfer out. So it could well have been that Shiflett was intended to take that spot in the QB room anyway, but ended up playing receiver early on.

So, while it seems like adding a lot, I view it as replacing two QB transfers outs with two QB transfers in. Wilson was going to join the roster regardless. We always take QB walk-ons, many of whom end up playing positions other than QB. Trey Robinson, Colin Anderson, Duncan Fletcher, and Ryan DeLuca are notable examples of high school QBs that played at a high level for Furman at some other position.
I heard Shiflet would not be a Qb. The competition is only with Sisson, Wilson, and Minson
 #41177  by 76MrMoto
 Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:32 am
If according to above post, Shiflet is not going to play OB, then this is a change from what Clay said in the "Greenville News" on April 16. In Scott Keeler's article titled "After a disappointing spring, Furman eagerly anticipates return to fall football" Clay said;
"One of those who should be competing at quarterback will be a familiar name in Luke Shiflett. Shiflett transferred to Furman in 2019 as an “athlete” from Middle Tennessee State. The high school quarterback played wide receiver at MTSU in 2018 and Furman in 2019, but was unavailable this spring as he was not enrolled that semester. He should be back in school this fall and at quarterback on the field. “We recruited him as quarterback who could play another position. He’s a big, athletic kid,” Hendrix said. “We’ve already had the conversation with him to come back prepared to (play quarterback). … In this age of the transfer portal, we’re also looking there, but I don’t know what’s going to come with that.”

".
 #41179  by The Jackal
 Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:46 am
76MrMoto wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:32 am
If according to above post, Shiflet is not going to play OB, then this is a change from what Clay said in the "Greenville News" on April 16. In Scott Keeler's article titled "After a disappointing spring, Furman eagerly anticipates return to fall football" Clay said;
"One of those who should be competing at quarterback will be a familiar name in Luke Shiflett. Shiflett transferred to Furman in 2019 as an “athlete” from Middle Tennessee State. The high school quarterback played wide receiver at MTSU in 2018 and Furman in 2019, but was unavailable this spring as he was not enrolled that semester. He should be back in school this fall and at quarterback on the field. “We recruited him as quarterback who could play another position. He’s a big, athletic kid,” Hendrix said. “We’ve already had the conversation with him to come back prepared to (play quarterback). … In this age of the transfer portal, we’re also looking there, but I don’t know what’s going to come with that.”

".

I suppose the distinction being that Furman brought in a transfer.

If I ventured an uneducated guess, I would not be surprised to see Shiflett as a backup QB but also key player at WR.
 #41180  by apaladin
 Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:26 pm
We will find out soon, then again maybe not. Practice starts in a little over 5 weeke.
 #41194  by AstroDin
 Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:28 pm
Congrats to Cole for jumping into podcasting - it's not easy.

I found the questions Cole asked as having the most insight into the spring season and that will affect the fall. Clay is the head coach and has to let's say diplomatically answer questions.

Cole question's that got my attention; coaching changes (OL and RB), the three back running game, the spring season was a disappointment (players too), offense limited due to the concern of how Furman can get through a season with one QB, the new field sad he's not getting to play on it.

As far as Clay's answers - sounds like he will have his fingers in the line play and the running game, Clay put the blame on himself and has to do better, Shiflett will play WR, adding to what he expects to be an improved position. Another interesting point Clay made - was concerning depth. Furman has worked hard to build a deeper team, that didn't come into play in the spring due to weather and a shorter season, and he said the coaches didn't take advantage of the depth advantage.