• SoCon Tournament stays in Asheville

#40792  by apaladin
 Wed May 19, 2021 4:22 pm
This was a bad decision but considering the SoCon leadership its certainly not surprising. The people of Asheville do not support the tourney and don’t care.
underjack liked this
 #40793  by Roundball
 Wed May 19, 2021 5:58 pm
apaladin wrote:
This was a bad decision but considering the SoCon leadership its certainly not surprising. The people of Asheville do not support the tourney and don’t care.
Seriously? Do you attend the tournament? Asheville supports it wholeheartedly. The arena needs some upgrades, but no one can say Asheville is not the perfect city to host the tournament. Central location for all teams in a downtown setting. I love Greenville, but Asheville is where the tournament belongs.
RaleighDin, din23, MNORM and 1 others liked this
 #40796  by apaladin
 Wed May 19, 2021 10:42 pm
Roundball wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 5:58 pm
apaladin wrote:
Seriously? Do you attend the tournament? Asheville supports it wholeheartedly. The arena needs some upgrades, but no one can say Asheville is not the perfect city to host the tournament. Central location for all teams in a downtown setting. I love Greenville, but Asheville is where the tournament belongs.
Yes, seriously, its a dump. Asheville does not support the tournament, only teams fans attend. Citizens of Asheville do not attend.
underjack liked this
 #40800  by FUBeAR
 Wed May 19, 2021 11:31 pm
apaladin wrote:
oops…”can’t delete posts in this forum”

Please excuse FUBeAR’s inexcusable waste of bits / pixels
Last edited by FUBeAR on Wed May 19, 2021 11:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
 #40801  by FUBeAR
 Wed May 19, 2021 11:33 pm
apaladin wrote:
only teams fans attend. Citizens of Asheville do not attend.
Not rhetorical, just curious. How do you know?
 #40809  by Affirm
 Thu May 20, 2021 10:55 am
Is there an expectation that "citizens" of Greenville or Macon or Birmingham or Chattanooga or Charleston or Roanoke or wherever (other than the schools' fans who are "citizens" of said municipality) would attend in higher numbers if the tournament were being held in their city?
FU69 liked this
 #40811  by apaladin
 Thu May 20, 2021 12:19 pm
affirm wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 10:55 am
Is there an expectation that "citizens" of Greenville or Macon or Birmingham or Chattanooga or Charleston or Roanoke or wherever (other than the schools' fans who are "citizens" of said municipality) would attend in higher numbers if the tournament were being held in their city?
Can’t speak for the other cities but that was definitely the case when it was held in Greenville. I know many people who went who were not fans of any team.
underjack liked this
 #40818  by Affirm
 Thu May 20, 2021 7:28 pm
Furman should be fine with it being in Asheville.
Only 56 miles from Furman campus to that arena.
68 minutes drive.
Only 54 minutes more travel time than to BSWA.
The travel miles and the driving times to that Asheville arena from Wofford, from WCU, and from ETSU, all are essentially the same as from Furman to that arena.
FU69 liked this
 #40819  by apaladin
 Thu May 20, 2021 8:01 pm
affirm wrote:
68 minutes drive.
The travel miles and the driving times to that Asheville arena from Wofford, from WCU, and from ETSU, all are essentially the same as from Furman to that arena.
I hope it doesn’t take you 68 minutes to drive 56 mlles, lol. Not to argue but Greenville is more centrally located. You conveniently forgot Citadel, Samford and Mercer.
underjack liked this
 #40820  by Affirm
 Thu May 20, 2021 8:18 pm
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
68 minutes drive.
I hope it doesn’t take you 68 minutes to drive 56 mlles, lol. Not to argue but Greenville is more centrally located. You conveniently forgot Citadel, Samford and Mercer.
Tell Google Maps if you don't believe the minutes and miles I quoted. How long would it take you?
Maybe Greenville would be a little more convenient for Citadel, Samford and Mercer.
But maybe having it in Asheville instead of Greenville takes away complaints by all the schools except for Furman and maybe Wofford.
 #40822  by apaladin
 Fri May 21, 2021 12:35 am
affirm wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 8:18 pm
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
68 minutes drive.
Tell Google Maps if you don't believe the minutes and miles I quoted. How long would it take you?
Maybe Greenville would be a little more convenient for Citadel, Samford and Mercer.
But maybe having it in Asheville instead of Greenville takes away complaints by all the schools except for Furman and maybe Wofford.
I believe you but don’t know about you but I drive faster than 49 mph on the highway which is what that calculates to.
 #40823  by FUBeAR
 Fri May 21, 2021 3:29 am
The geographic center of the SoCon (10 schools’ long./lat. coordinates) is here…

1685 E Poinsett Street Extension, Greer, SC
(conveniently located nearby the Persecuted Tattoo shop - Players could add some new ink between games…if only there were also a nearby basketball arena)

This address is 18 miles from Bon Secours Wellness Arena, North Academy Street, Greenville, SC.

This address is 65 miles from Harrah's Cherokee Center - Asheville, Haywood Street, Asheville, NC.

Please continue your discussion.

Note - for those interested, the geographic center of the Football SoCon is 493 Belle Shoals Rd, Six Mile, SC 29682.
FU69 liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.