• FCS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME ON ABC 2PM SUNDAY

#40738  by Flagman
 Mon May 17, 2021 6:29 pm
Great game! Had everything. Rain, lightning, weather delay, a 3-minute halftime, sunshine, fumbles, interceptions, great runs and pass receptions, and a great ending (depending on who you were pulling for). Exciting!
FUBeAR, dornb, FU69 liked this
 #40740  by apaladin
 Mon May 17, 2021 7:27 pm
Flagman wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 6:29 pm
Great game! Had everything. Rain, lightning, weather delay, a 3-minute halftime, sunshine, fumbles, interceptions, great runs and pass receptions, and a great ending (depending on who you were pulling for). Exciting!
Agree, it was a great game.
 #40742  by Affirm
 Tue May 18, 2021 8:22 am
What are arguments against us getting a regular season game vs
SHSU?
Can we not afford one trip to Huntsville, which may be less than one hour from Houston’s airport?
Or, what about against Richmond, Villanova, James Madison, Delaware?
Other than NDSU, EWU, YSU, Montana, are not those the only FCS’s to win since our championship 32 years ago?
 #40745  by Affirm
 Tue May 18, 2021 10:02 am
tim wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 8:43 am
Nobody is arguing against it Straw Man.
Be nice.
The question should have been stated as “what are the reasons we do not?”
If there is a reason, what?
Sincerely,
Not Straw Man
 #40749  by fufanatic
 Tue May 18, 2021 11:52 am
It seems that the answer is basically if the Paladins are going to get on a plane, it better be for a huge payday at an FBS school or a playoff FCS game. Especially when there are dozens of FCS schools within a 6-hour bus drive for us to play. And it takes two to tango. I doubt there are a ton of FCS schools out there that would want to make the return flight to Greenville. Every dime matters in FCS football.
Stumpy, gman84, Davemeister and 2 others liked this
 #40756  by Affirm
 Tue May 18, 2021 1:43 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 11:52 am
It seems that the answer is basically if the Paladins are going to get on a plane, it better be for a huge payday at an FBS school or a playoff FCS game. Especially when there are dozens of FCS schools within a 6-hour bus drive for us to play. And it takes two to tango. I doubt there are a ton of FCS schools out there that would want to make the return flight to Greenville. Every dime matters in FCS football.
Money.
OK.
We cannot afford it, and very few if any FCS teams can, you are saying.
Will get some more info and then resume discussion.
 #40759  by Affirm
 Tue May 18, 2021 2:08 pm
SHSU has futures against Sacramento State. That’s not farther than Greenville.
And SHSU has YSU. That’s not farther.
I guess we’re just too limited financially.
And I don’t want to suggest NDSU as a regular season opponent, but I believe they have futures with NCA&TSU (our opponent), Towson, & Central Arkansas. Again, I believe the distances Fargo & those 3 schools are similar to Fargo & Greenville.
Money.
Not a ton of schools can afford to do that, but apparently NCA &TSU of the Big South, Towson, Central Arkansas, Youngstown State, and Sacramento State are among a few that can afford it.
Money.
As stated, probably every dime does count for most schools that play FCS. Obviously, Furman is a small school compared to a majority of FCS schools, and compared to a majority in SoCon.
FU69 liked this
 #40764  by apaladin
 Tue May 18, 2021 3:16 pm
affirm wrote:
SHSU?
Can we not afford one trip to Huntsville, which may be less than one hour from Houston’s airport?
Other than NDSU, EWU, YSU, Montana, are not those the only FCS’s to win since our championship 32 years ago?
Remember we have a home and home coming up with William & Mary which is farther than James Madison and almost as far as Richmond. We had a home and with Colgate before they cancelled.
 #40768  by Affirm
 Tue May 18, 2021 4:29 pm
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
SHSU?
Remember we have a home and home coming up with William & Mary which is farther than James Madison and almost as far as Richmond. We had a home and with Colgate before they cancelled.
I recall us having a scheduled series with Delaware a number of years back. Delaware won FCS after Furman did. I was disappointed that some of those Delaware games got cancelled. I think it started due to Furman cancelling on Delaware fairly late because Furman had an opportunity to arise for a big money game, and took it. I recall going to a Delaware at Furman regular season game, and I recall us doing well in that game. Sorry we seem unable to resume something with them, and unable to get something with Villanova.
... Check distances from GVL to Harrisonburg, Williamsburg, Richmond. I believe the distances decrease in that order, not certain.
... Glad we have W&M and NCA&TSU & Elon - good schools OOC for FCS.
 #40769  by Affirm
 Tue May 18, 2021 4:34 pm
Stumpy wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 3:36 pm
Maybe they're all scared to play us.
Or maybe we're waiting until we can beat the majority of SoCon teams before we hit the road looking for big game.
Doubting the “they may be scared” theory. But it may be true if we would become the Alabama or the Clemson of SoCon football.
 #40779  by apaladin
 Wed May 19, 2021 1:33 am
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
SHSU?
I recall us having a scheduled series with Delaware a number of years back. Delaware won FCS after Furman did. I was disappointed that some of those Delaware games got cancelled. I think it started due to Furman cancelling on Delaware fairly late because Furman had an opportunity to arise for a big money game, and took it. I recall going to a Delaware at Furman regular season game, and I recall us doing well in that game. Sorry we seem unable to resume something with them, and unable to get something with Villanova.
... Check distances from GVL to Harrisonburg, Williamsburg, Richmond. I believe the distances decrease in that order, not certain.
Not aware of any upcoming games with Elon. FYI-15 months away and we only have one ooc game for 2022 which is at Clempson.
 #40781  by Affirm
 Wed May 19, 2021 7:27 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 1:33 am
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
SHSU?
Not aware of any upcoming games with Elon. FYI-15 months away and we only have one ooc game for 2022 which is at Clempson.
Saying Elon was my unintended mistake. I stand corrected.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.