• Coaching Changes

#40469  by Furmanoid
 Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:13 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:52 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:48 am
This is encouraging news sort of. It appears there was a recognition all around that something needed to change.

On the other hand it appears that the FU OL job is treated as almost an entry level gig. We’re going from a really young guy to a really, really young guy who wasn’t even a lineman.

But on the third hand, the guy majored in math at Furman, so he’s clearly smart as hell and probably just soaks up everything CH teaches him. Might be so smart he can even think out of the box a little.

If you read the article, it says Pete Lusk is going to law school. I don't think it had anything to do with "something needing to change."
Well, clearly Mr. Lusk thought something needed to change because he changed. He decided he wasn’t meant to be a coach. He may have had some help with that decision or maybe not. Maybe it’s just a coincidence that he reached the decision after such an awful OL performance. Or maybe he really decided before the season, and that was part of the problem.

He didn’t say he was stepping away to spend more time with his family, so maybe it wasn’t a firing.
 #40480  by furpal81
 Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:17 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:13 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:52 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:48 am
This is encouraging news sort of. It appears there was a recognition all around that something needed to change.

On the other hand it appears that the FU OL job is treated as almost an entry level gig. We’re going from a really young guy to a really, really young guy who wasn’t even a lineman.

But on the third hand, the guy majored in math at Furman, so he’s clearly smart as hell and probably just soaks up everything CH teaches him. Might be so smart he can even think out of the box a little.

If you read the article, it says Pete Lusk is going to law school. I don't think it had anything to do with "something needing to change."
Well, clearly Mr. Lusk thought something needed to change because he changed. He decided he wasn’t meant to be a coach. He may have had some help with that decision or maybe not. Maybe it’s just a coincidence that he reached the decision after such an awful OL performance. Or maybe he really decided before the season, and that was part of the problem.

He didn’t say he was stepping away to spend more time with his family, so maybe it wasn’t a firing.
The article says that Lusk and CCH have been discussing his going to law school since last November
 #40482  by Thorny
 Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:40 pm
Maybe we shouldn't cling to every word put in press briefings...

There is nothing wrong with choosing an O-line coach with limited experience. If they were a known rock star at coaching O-line they probably wouldn't be in our budget. Hendrix chose someone within the program which means he knows what he is getting and is happy with him. No need to roll the dice if we don't have too. He needs to be moderately component, a good fit for the program, and the players have to respond well to him. No need to get caught up with how he looks on paper.
Last edited by Thorny on Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #40483  by DeepPurple
 Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:52 pm
CCH is not going to put Dru coaching the OL if he did not know he could handle this assignment. I bet we see CCH more involved with the OL this upcoming season.
 #40485  by The Jackal
 Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:59 pm
Thorny wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:40 pm
I'm all for helping the Furman coaches, players, etc. save face but Hendrix would also have you believe that Sisson won the QB battle and only informed us of this after Grainger left the program.

Maybe we shouldn't cling to every word put in press briefings...

There is nothing wrong with choosing an O-line coach with limited experience. If they were a known rock star at coaching O-line they probably wouldn't be in our budget. Hendrix chose someone within the program which means he knows what he is getting and is happy with him. No need to roll the dice if we don't have too. He needs to be moderately component, a good fit for the program, and the players have to respond well to him. No need to get caught up with how he looks on paper.

Yup, certainly can't trust the press releases. If only we had a way of weeding through coach speak to find out what is really going on.

#40486  by Furmanoid
 Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:05 pm
Reading between a bunch of lines, I think CH is taking over the OL. That’s a good development.

I don’t see how he could KNOW the new kid can do a job he’s never tried to do before. The training wheels will be on for at least one season.

The tree persists. We are now using branches from the Fowler era. Hope it works.
Sad Din liked this
 #40488  by apaladin
 Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:38 pm
I would feel much better if this was a CCH decision and nit just someone deciding to do something different. The hire just seems like a convenience. Don’t have to look for a good, proven OL coach, just plug someone in thats already here. Hopefully it will turn out well.
 #40489  by Sad Din
 Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:14 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:05 pm
Reading between a bunch of lines, I think CH is taking over the OL. That’s a good development.

I don’t see how he could KNOW the new kid can do a job he’s never tried to do before. The training wheels will be on for at least one season.

The tree persists. We are now using branches from the Fowler era. Hope it works.
Great move! The O-Line is in great hands! Congrats
Last edited by Sad Din on Sat May 01, 2021 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
FUBeAR liked this
 #40491  by Yadkin
 Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:29 pm
Some of you guys, along with the resident third person are carrying on like our new OL coach is still in daycare. He’s been in the program for seven years, has busted his rump from day one, kept his eyes and ears open to develop as a coach, and has earned the respect of everyone who knows him. I’m confident CCH must see some real potential. His own coaching history was two years as a GA at N.C. State before he got his first full-time job as OL coach at FU in 1988.
gman84 liked this
 #40492  by FUBeAR
 Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:51 pm
Yadkin wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:29 pm
Some of you guys, along with the resident third person are carrying on like our new OL coach is still in daycare.
As the Original (and Extra Crispy) 3rd person persona posting here regularly, FUBeAR enjoys wearing the mantle of “trend-setter,” but such a classification can lead some to confuse the original with the (flattering) imitators.

Other than a clearly illusory comment (with humorous intent) alluding to the ridiculous idea that Coach Hendrix wanted to offer the OL job to FUBeAR, FUBeAR has not made any comments about Coach Duke resembling anything described in Yadkin’s post.

FUBeAR does not know Coach Duke, but if Coach Hendrix selected him as Furman’s OL Coach, then FUBeAR has nothing but 100% confidence that Coach Duke will do an exemplary job in his new role.
gman84 liked this
 #40494  by Yadkin
 Sat May 01, 2021 12:10 am
Poorly aimed dart on my part. Apologies. It was our resident sad third person to whom I was referring.
FUBeAR liked this
 #40497  by Sad Din
 Sat May 01, 2021 8:29 am
Yadkin wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 12:10 am
Poorly aimed dart on my part. Apologies. It was our resident sad third person to whom I was referring.
Hey no prob dude, Post modified!
FUBeAR liked this
 #40498  by apaladin
 Sat May 01, 2021 11:50 am
He and I have the same amount of OL coaching experience, With that said hope he is a great one. Have to wonder if CCH knew for months this was likely to happen why he wasn’t better prepared. :shock:
 #40499  by JohnW
 Sat May 01, 2021 12:57 pm
I had similar concerns when Coach Vaughn became DC and that for the most part has gone well. What I'm interested in seeing is the new hire and how that shakes out with staff responsibilities. I vote for a QB coach.
 #40500  by Roundball
 Sat May 01, 2021 1:35 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:38 pm
I would feel much better if this was a CCH decision and nit just someone deciding to do something different. The hire just seems like a convenience. Don’t have to look for a good, proven OL coach, just plug someone in thats already here. Hopefully it will turn out well.
Feel better. This was a Coach Hendrix decision.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.