• Our Offense

#40385  by FUBeAR
 Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:01 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:44 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:27 am
Good things happen when you block the right guys and run through the correct hole.
and dont get called on 3 holding penalties!
Blasphemer!
 #40386  by FUBeAR
 Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:40 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:58 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:27 am
Good things happen when you block the right guys and run through the correct hole.
Also helps when the whole DL slants out of the play. And the NDSU guy pulls faster in slo mo than ours do real time.
So, a DT slanting from p/s B to p/s A & a DE from p/s C to p/s B is slanting “out of the play” on an A-Gap run toward them? Nah.

LB stepped up into C as he should on a T-E pinch. And the boundary side of the DL played it straight.

EWU had 8 in the box at the snap...and the other 3 weren’t far out of the box.

NDSU’s 9 (11-(QB+RB)) just whipped their 9 (11 - 2CB’s they did not block). They had angles on the b/s, used the momentum of the ‘pinchers’ to carry them across the hole, and their Athletic OG skip pulled, stayed square, stepped over the ‘trash,’ until he found the right seam - past the DLmen being washed down. If they had ‘played straight,’ the OG & the ball carrier would have gone inside of them as others adjusted their blocks. The only thing the OG didn’t do perfectly was that he stopped his feet on contact, but FUBeAR can work with him on fixing that. Essentially, the D ‘cain’t be right’ on this play, IF the blockers use great technique, stay on their feet, and stay “locked on” the right D Player. The blockers don’t even really have to whip ‘em. They did here, but they don’t have to - just stay locked up...and all will be well!

TBH, I got a little misty when I saw this play live on Saturday and then have wept with reverent joy as I’ve watched this TweetClip 9,686,023 times.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rokawaylifer liked this
 #40392  by FUBeAR
 Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:09 pm
Rokawaylifer wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:32 pm
Bear, delicious stuff. just curious. Any missed clipping call/s?
Not sure if trolling...but just to edify some (perhaps)...No clipping in that clip (maybe that’s the joke...)

1) Despite all of the rules banning blocking below the waist in so many instances, there yet remains a “legal clip zone” in NCAA College Football - I’ll save the technicalities - feel free to look it up - but basically OLmen CAN legally clip DLMen in the trenches, while the ball is in the trenches

2) Also...outside the legal clip zone, it is not clipping or block in the back if the initial contact is in front, then the defender then turns his back to the contact without separating...that’s not clipping, it’s cowardice...well, sometimes they turn their back to chase the ball carrier that just blew by them because of the OLman’s great block. I guess they are supposed to do that...so, not always cowardly, I guess...but not clipping neither.

OK ... OK ... the Left TE has a little 1/3 of a hold + a wee-maybe-a-little-bit-of-a-clip thing going on in there with the Safety...really becomes nothing more than a little dosey-do...A bad SoCon Official who caught something that s/he thought s/he saw (but didn’t) out of the corner of his/her (good) eye MIGHT throw a flag there...if s/he felt it would help Wof-Fraud in some way...but s/he would be wrong. TBH, I don’t think that Eagles Safety really wanted to take on the FB 1-on-1 & head-on...he ain’t ‘zactly Fightin’ against contact very hard, now is he?
 #40394  by Furmanoid
 Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:41 am
Both backs hold. The first one through does the one that’s pretty hard not to see. But he’s really only preventing the DE from doing a backflip to get back in the play.

The key is to win a bunch of championships. Then, as in the case of Alabama, the holding rule is modified for your team. Huge run up the middle? Must have been precision blocking. But if Furman does it, somebody must be holding, so out comes the flag. Kinda like how there are no offensive fouls on Lebron.
 #40395  by FUBeAR
 Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:27 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:41 am
Both backs hold. The first one through does the one that’s pretty hard not to see. But he’s really only preventing the DE from doing a backflip to get back in the play.

The key is to win a bunch of championships. Then, as in the case of Alabama, the holding rule is modified for your team. Huge run up the middle? Must have been precision blocking. But if Furman does it, somebody must be holding, so out comes the flag. Kinda like how there are no offensive fouls on Lebron.
nah...slight grab of jersey briefly, but hand is inside frame...the problem here is he couldn’t have expected the DE to play that bad of a technique and totally turn himself perpendicular to the LOS. His own rotation makes it look a little like the RB is wrapping his arm, but that’s a well-placed (in frame) hand that was twisted (by the defender) into looking like a ‘wrap.’ Not a hold.

2nd guy is fine...makes contact...defender runs away & RB lets him go as soon as his ‘frame’ disappears. Not a hold.
 #40399  by FUBeAR
 Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:26 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:01 am
You cannot be serious!
ImageAh, but I am, Mr. McEnroe.

With today’s NCAA rules & interpretations, there is no holding & no clipping / blocks in the back on this play.

On the other hand, there IS some really good OL play / blocking & some really, really bad Defensive technique.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #40400  by Furmanoid
 Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:30 am
Would have thought today’s rules were the NCAA ones, but I guess not.
 #40401  by FUBeAR
 Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:51 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:30 am
Would have thought today’s rules were the NCAA ones, but I guess not.
Edited my prior post to undermine the obstinance of your subsequent one.
 #40402  by Furmanoid
 Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:39 pm
As for that first back, his hand is not in advance of his elbow and it is way too high (at the neck and therefore clearly outside the frame). None of that even matters because he is clearly grasping AND hooking. He is very nearly encircling. You can’t grasp, hook, clamp, pull or encircle. That’s the holding rule. The frame argument doesn’t apply. That is the rule for legal use of hands. Holding is the next rule down. This is spelled out in nfl rules, but is pretty clear in ncaa rules.

That second back is running along with his hand wrapped around the defenders belly. I’m not sure why he would want to do that if he wasn’t holding. Maybe he’s just weird.

But there was no hold because it’s NDSU so it all gets interpreted away.
 #40408  by FUBeAR
 Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:15 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:39 pm
As for that first back, his hand is not in advance of his elbow and it is way too high (at the neck and therefore clearly outside the frame). None of that even matters because he is clearly grasping AND hooking. He is very nearly encircling. You can’t grasp, hook, clamp, pull or encircle. That’s the holding rule. The frame argument doesn’t apply. That is the rule for legal use of hands. Holding is the next rule down. This is spelled out in nfl rules, but is pretty clear in ncaa rules.

That second back is running along with his hand wrapped around the defenders belly. I’m not sure why he would want to do that if he wasn’t holding. Maybe he’s just weird.

But there was no hold because it’s NDSU so it all gets interpreted away.
1) Left hand hit ‘frame’ (DE’s upper left chest) when it was visually occluded by other Players. DE continued to flatten his charge down the line, rotating the front of his body away from the contact and sinking as he was being mashed. This is why you think you are seeing a hand outside the frame or “high” and why you think you are seeing the RB hooking/wrapping the DE. Initial contact is legal & DE twisted/sunk himself into something that looks like holding, but isn’t. I understand why you think you are seeing holding, but you are ignoring the action/reaction of the DE that is causing this to appear to be holding. It is not.

2) Similar deal on the other one. Legal initial contact on the LB. Ballcarrier blows by. LB turns his body 180 degrees to chase Ball...and RB maintains in-frame contact until the LB has full turned away...and then RB let’s him go. I understand why you think you are seeing holding, but you are ignoring the action/reaction of the LB that is causing this to appear to be near-holding. It is not.
 #40409  by Furmanoid
 Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:44 pm
Psychedelics can be fun. I’ll admit that. But don’t do them at work.