• FCS PLAYOFFS

#40220  by tim
 Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:56 pm
I wouldn't take Davidson and 25 points.
apaladin liked this
 #40221  by apaladin
 Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:33 am
Davidson lost to PC their last game and still won the PL.
 #40222  by purplehorse
 Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:33 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:09 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:24 pm
Monmouth, Davidson, Holy Cross and Davidson IN

Furman OUT

I never could have imagined that happening in my lifetime. It may say something about parity and COVID-19 but it also tells us something about Furman football.

Monmouth, Davidson, and Holy Cross have nothing to do with Furman or parity in the FCS. Those teams were awarded the automatic bids from their conference. Furman has nothing to do with it.

Got it! The point is it is embarrassing to have those caliber or teams in the playoffs when Furman is sitting at home. The nobody’s of the world have now moved up to the FCS and the mighty Paladins of the past are sitting at home.
 #40224  by Furmanoid
 Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:31 am
The worst thing is that had we had our act together at all, we would have easily won the SoCon and might have gone far in the playoffs against this field. Missed opportunity.
 #40228  by apaladin
 Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:29 am
Remember it wasn’t that long ago that teams like Davidson, Dayton, Butler etc were D3 in football and D1 in everything else until the brilliant move by the NCAA said if you are D1 you have to play D1 football. Why? You don’t have to do anythung different but you have to be called D1. So all these D3 teams just got reclassified to D1 in name only and got the FCS label. It wasn’t that bad at first because they didn’t participate in the playoffs unless they got an atlarge which never happened. Then when the playoffs expanded and the brilliant NCAA started handing out auto bids to the non-schollie leagues which 95% of the time just wastes bids.
 #40229  by The Jackal
 Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:36 am
apaladin wrote:
Remember it wasn’t that long ago that teams like Davidson, Dayton, Butler etc were D3 in football and D1 in everything else until the brilliant move by the NCAA said if you are D1 you have to play D1 football. Why? You don’t have to do anythung different but you have to be called D1. So all these D3 teams just got reclassified to D1 in name only and got the FCS label. It wasn’t that bad at first because they didn’t participate in the playoffs unless they got an atlarge which never happened. Then when the playoffs expanded and the brilliant NCAA started handing out auto bids to the non-schollie leagues which 95% of the time just wastes bids.

16 team playoffs should be the norm. Take away a few autobids.

Really, if you can't finish higher than 5th in your own conference, you shouldn't be in the post season.
Roundball liked this
 #40232  by Affirm
 Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:42 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:33 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:09 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:24 pm
Monmouth, Davidson, Holy Cross and Davidson IN

Furman OUT

I never could have imagined that happening in my lifetime. It may say something about parity and COVID-19 but it also tells us something about Furman football.

Monmouth, Davidson, and Holy Cross have nothing to do with Furman or parity in the FCS. Those teams were awarded the automatic bids from their conference. Furman has nothing to do with it.

Got it! The point is it is embarrassing to have those caliber or teams in the playoffs when Furman is sitting at home. The nobody’s of the world have now moved up to the FCS and the mighty Paladins of the past are sitting at home.
A. Those caliber of teams????????
B. Nobody’s of the world ????????
C. The mighty Paladins of the past????????
WHICH group, A., B., or C., is Furman football presently in?
Is it C.?
 #40234  by FUBeAR
 Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:55 pm
apaladin wrote:
PFL Playoff appearances

PFL Teams have made five appearances in the FCS playoffs. Their overall record is 2–5.

Year Round Opponent Result
2014 First Round Montana L 14–52

2016 First Round Cal Poly W 35–21
Second Round North Dakota State L 7–45

2017 First Round Northern Arizona W 41–10
Second Round North Dakota State L 3–38

2018 First Round Nicholls L 30–49

2019 First Round Northern Iowa L 3-17

Yes - PFL Teams have disgraced themselves 2x by losing badly to NDSU in the Fargo Dome. No self-respecting FCS Team has ever done that! And, they also lost pretty badly to Montana in Montana in December. Outrageous!

In the past 2 years, they have further disgraced themselves with a hard fought defensive struggle in the UNIDome, which never happens & lost again in a shoot-out with a Southland Team; just unheard of!

Of course, they did get really lucky between those losses & beat the brakes off of a couple of top-tier Big Sky Teams before landing in the FargoDeathTrap in Round 2. If they want to keep participating in the Playoffs, they have to be able to beat NDSU at their place in the Playoffs...like all the other FCS Teams have done!

Yep - the inclusion of PFL Teams has absolutely ruined the Playoffs for everyone!!!
 #40235  by Furmanoid
 Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:11 pm
These data make me suspect that the nonscholarship pfl isn’t all that nonscholarship.
 #40236  by apaladin
 Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:25 pm
FUBear, the PFL is actually 2-7. You left out 2013 Tennessee St. 31 Butler 0 and 2015 W. Illinois 24 Dayton 7. San Diego has dominated the league and has both wins and 5 of the 7 bids including the last 4 until this year. They had won 39 straight in the PFL until March 27th. Its been a one team league. Agree with Furmanoid, very doubtful that SD is true non scholly. .
 #40238  by FUBeAR
 Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:08 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:25 pm
FUBear, the PFL is actually 2-7. You left out 2013 Tennessee St. 31 Butler 0 and 2015 W. Illinois 24 Dayton 7. San Diego has dominated the league and has both wins and 5 of the 7 bids including the last 4 until this year. They had won 39 straight in the PFL until March 27th. Its been a one team league. Agree with Furmanoid, very doubtful that SD is true non scholly. .
Yep - missed those.

In 2013, Butler was there because San Diego vacated their wins...(and because Marist beat Mercer...and Butler ‘beat out’ Marist in some kind of very odd tiebreaker scheme..because they didn’t play H2H)...due to the “Leadership” Scholarships being awarded disproportionately to Athletes / Football Players.

Dayton beat San Diego in 2015, while Jacksonville, before dropping Football, was ineligible for, essentially, the same reason SD was out in 2013.

So...8 years of Playoff participation with 4 different AQ Representatives (San Diego, Butler, Dayton, and Davidson...5, kinda-sorta...if you count Marist getting hosed)....not sure how that looks like a “one team league”...and obviously, some type of audit / oversight / punishments for Teams ‘coloring outside the lines’ in their Football Schollies Book.

Ivy’s don’t offer Athletic / Football Scholarships either. NEC’s are still very limited, I believe. Patriot League has only been schollie for a few years. Should we kick all of them out of the FCS Club too?

At least the PFL Teams WANT to participate in the Playoffs & show up....unlike the Ivies, the SWAC, and the MEAC...really...or what’s left of it.

JacksonvilleSt with 72 (or so) P5 Transfers on their roster will probably beat Davidson @ Home this Saturday, but I bet the Wildcats won’t lay down. Remember, another Team, not too far removed from their own PFL days, with a unique Offensive scheme, just last Fall, went into that HenHouse & was onside kicking at the end, hoping to recover, tie it up & beat the Cocks in OT.

#GoWildcats #ClawEm
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Affirm liked this
 #40239  by Affirm
 Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:26 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
These data make me suspect that the nonscholarship pfl isn’t all that nonscholarship.
Sorry. I do not see why that would be.
 #40243  by Furmanoid
 Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:43 pm
affirm wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
Well, generally really good players are offered scholarships. Most parents would pretty much insist their kid take the scholarship to Wofford or Furman rather than have to fork out $70k for Davidson or even a mere $40k for PC. So everybody else’ guys should be way, way better than PFL guys. So you would expect their playoff games to always be blowout losses.

I’m suspecting that many of their good players are on some type of scholarship. They just pretend it isn’t an athletic scholarship.
 #40247  by Affirm
 Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:28 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:43 pm
affirm wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
Well, generally really good players are offered scholarships. Most parents would pretty much insist their kid take the scholarship to Wofford or Furman rather than have to fork out $70k for Davidson or even a mere $40k for PC. So everybody else’ guys should be way, way better than PFL guys. So you would expect their playoff games to always be blowout losses.

I’m suspecting that many of their good players are on some type of scholarship. They just pretend it isn’t an athletic scholarship.
As you admit, that is a generalization. I would say there would be many exceptions. And most parents would not necessarily insist anything if the kid can go to a really, really good school, get a really, really good education, and have a good time enjoying playing football. And I would say everybody else's players being way, way better would be an exaggeration. Also, maybe most playoff games would be losses, but not necessarily blowout losses. Keep in mind that Furman has suffered a number of blowout losses or at least a large number of disappointing losses in playoffs. Having scholarships does not necessarily prevent that. Most of the players being on some type of scholarship - that's fine. Bring in good students, good citizens, who can play and maybe want to play football. Perhaps my main argument is that ROI on football, scholarship football even at the FCS level, is possibly too low to be sustainable by a school as small as Furman. Other basically all the other scholarship sports are more sustainable because they involve fewer scholarship that can be balanced in regard to Title IX, either with a women's team in the same sport (even baseball with softball). We can still have football. We can be satisfactorily competitive at our level. We can do it like Pioneer Football League does it. (Wofford ought to be smart enough to go along with us on such a move, but if they are not smart enough, I would be surprised but I would not really care, because I believe they would be wrong.)
 #40251  by apaladin
 Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:11 am
FUBear- not to argue but if no one else has won the league or made the playoffs since 2015 and one team won 39 in a row would you not consider that league to be a one team league? Thats like saying the ACC is not a one team league because someone besides Clempson won it in 2015. BTW during SD’s 39 game regular season winning streak they wrre 0-8 against other FCS teams during the regular seasons.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.