#40208  by FUBeAR
 Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:00 pm
FUPlayer74 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:28 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:27 am
FU3 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:24 pm
Not a whole lot of insight into our issues other than that our QB didn’t play real well.He won’t nor should he go into all our issues but fall will be the be the real test on where this team and staff really are.
This is NOT (I REPEAT NOT) an indictment of Sisson or anybody for that matter. I am just glad to see CH and others acknowledge that you don't have 1 scholarship QB on the roster - E V E R. I don't care if it is Tom Brady. Many of us said as much here on the UFFP and then were told " oh, it will be fine". I don't want to be right.. I want to win a national title and be "oh so wrong". But in this case all you had to do was look around D1 football - almost no one carries one QB. Heck, having two QB's they liked basically gave a once in forever SoCon title to VMI. Again, NOT an indictment of Sisson. VMI is a great example, Udinski went down, freshman on scholarship jumps right in. He was ready. SOCON TITLE - and they earned it.. Kudos to VMI. Definitely some bum luck w our Qb scholarships I know.. Still, I can't recall the last time we faced a team w one scholarship qb. . Sisson should be one of our QBs - I hope he is Tom Brady !! But everyone needs some competition and a fail safe also. Sometimes throwing a new QB out there jumpstarts the O. To his credit, Sisson did that very thing as he came in and got us going at UTC in the prior season (2019 fall) and led us to a great W when DG was struggling.. He did great. As a TEAM guy you should always want 2 or 3 QBs on scholarship.

That said, I hope HS leads us to a National Title !

I don't ever want to see people justifying one QB again. It's just too risky

And yes, the OL and WRs did little to help. I think the RBs were good but negated by the OL and then all the pressure falls on the passing game... which is a recipe for a .500 season
So what do we do this fall if 3 qbs on scholarship all go down to injury? Should we have 4 or 5 on scholarship? I'm not defending the way we played this Spring, but some things are beyond control.
Last time I checked, Samford had 9 QB’s on their roster. Not sure how many of those are/were on scholarship & not saying FU should emulate that - just providing 1 data point for the conversation.
 #40211  by gofurman
 Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:35 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:00 pm
FUPlayer74 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:28 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:27 am
FU3 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:24 pm
Not a whole lot of insight into our issues other than that our QB didn’t play real well.He won’t nor should he go into all our issues but fall will be the be the real test on where this team and staff really are.
This is NOT (I REPEAT NOT) an indictment of Sisson or anybody for that matter. I am just glad to see CH and others acknowledge that you don't have 1 scholarship QB on the roster - E V E R. I don't care if it is Tom Brady. Many of us said as much here on the UFFP and then were told " oh, it will be fine". I don't want to be right.. I want to win a national title and be "oh so wrong". But in this case all you had to do was look around D1 football - almost no one carries one QB. Heck, having two QB's they liked basically gave a once in forever SoCon title to VMI. Again, NOT an indictment of Sisson. VMI is a great example, Udinski went down, freshman on scholarship jumps right in. He was ready. SOCON TITLE - and they earned it.. Kudos to VMI. Definitely some bum luck w our Qb scholarships I know.. Still, I can't recall the last time we faced a team w one scholarship qb. . Sisson should be one of our QBs - I hope he is Tom Brady !! But everyone needs some competition and a fail safe also. Sometimes throwing a new QB out there jumpstarts the O. To his credit, Sisson did that very thing as he came in and got us going at UTC in the prior season (2019 fall) and led us to a great W when DG was struggling.. He did great. As a TEAM guy you should always want 2 or 3 QBs on scholarship.

That said, I hope HS leads us to a National Title !

I don't ever want to see people justifying one QB again. It's just too risky

And yes, the OL and WRs did little to help. I think the RBs were good but negated by the OL and then all the pressure falls on the passing game... which is a recipe for a .500 season
So what do we do this fall if 3 qbs on scholarship all go down to injury? Should we have 4 or 5 on scholarship? I'm not defending the way we played this Spring, but some things are beyond control.
Last time I checked, Samford had 9 QB’s on their roster. Not sure how many of those are/were on scholarship & not saying FU should emulate that - just providing 1 data point for the conversation.
FUBeAR, Thanks for the data point. Just apply the rule of reason... having one scholarship QB is akin to only 5 scholarship OL. NO. ROOM. FOR. ERROR. W 60 scholarships you can’t carry 7 scholarship QBs and twenty scholarship OL. I get that. But you can have 3 scholarship QBs and 10 scholarship OL etc or whatever. I really don’t need to prove my point as CH said it himself basically iterating in the article that “I don’t ever want to be caught w only one scholarship QB again”.

Just apply the rule of being reasonable. If we have 3 QBs on scholarship and all 3 go down to injury it’s bummer luck and is just is what it is. But to only have one is just asking fo’ trouble. Same w any position. We had several DBs. Something like 10+ OL. Several scholarship RBs.

Just be reasonable.
 #40248  by gofurman
 Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:31 pm
DeepPurple wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:06 am
If there were 3 or 4 qbs on the bench who could play, they would have been given the opportunity to play. We had 0 who could come off the bench and play.
At least having 2/3 QBs just allows competition. And maybe a change of pace like when Hamp came in for DG vs UTC in 2019 and jumpstarted the offense. That’s all