• Incoming Freshman QB

#40093  by The Jackal
 Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:03 pm
My brain struggles to stay up on the edibility criteria, but I did notice that Grainger is listed on Georgia State's roster as a redshirt junior.

It appears transferring cost him a season of eligibility. That's tough in a year when nearly everyone gained an extra season of eligibility due to Covid.

Maybe he fell into a loop hole by transferring schools after one team had completed their season and before his current university began theirs.
 #40096  by FurmAlum
 Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:16 pm
Former UNC coach Dick Crum used to say every man thinks he can do 2 things: (1) grill out, and (2) coach football.

If all you critics on here think you can coach any better then why aren't you doing it?

Things didn't work out this spring like we all hoped but now is not the time to replace coaches. Yes, some things need to be improved, but I still have confidence that CCH, GQ, and all the other coaches can get it done. And I haven't given up on HS either.

By my count we have 9 starters returning on offense and 10 starters returning on defense with some freshman playmakers that didn't see much action in the spring that I expect to see a lot of action in the fall.

All that experience will eventually pay dividends.

John Wooden was at UCLA almost 20 years before he won his first NCAA Championship. Dean Smith was at UNC 6 or 7 years before he won the ACC. Coach K was at Duke several years before he won the ACC.

By today's standards all those coaches would have been replaced too soon. All you "gotta have it now" fans need to have some patience.
FUBeAR, MNORM liked this
 #40097  by youwouldno
 Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:34 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:03 pm
1. Could it be that the people that know and follow SoCon football better than you do had a higher opinion of Furman's team?

2. It could have been 1-6 or it could have been 6-1, too. Furman lead in the second half against everyone but the Citadel. Our special teams cost us several games as we attempted to replace our entire unit from 2019 except maybe the holder.

3. It's all relative each year. Maybe the offenses were worse than last year. Maybe the defenses are better. Furman, for instance, played UTC at full strength. Mercer played their backups. ETSU and Samford didn't play them at all.

I'm not suggesting we were stellar. I've said we had a lot of issues and looked terrible at times. I just resist the notion of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

You've been making these excuses, and making these predictions of imminent success, for over 10 years. How many times do you need to be wrong before you just stop?

I mean, on the plus side, it's pretty amusing - I love the one about how the season wasn't so bad because people *thought* Furman was good pre-season, even though it turned out that the Paladins were among the worst full scholarship teams in FCS.
By today's standards all those coaches would have been replaced too soon. All you "gotta have it now" fans need to have some patience
Have it now huh? Yeah, Furman football has been nationally competitive so recently, why on Earth would anyone be losing patience?

But regardless of that, the numbers don't lie. Furman's Massey rank under Hendrix has been:

That simply is not a pattern that indicates future success. It is very hard to find positive examples.
 #40098  by Furmanoid
 Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:37 pm
I for one haven’t said to get rid of the coach. He’s probably 6-7 years from retirement and we might as well ride it out. There just isn’t any reason to expect too much, that’s all. I think it’s unlikely that we are going to get real good anytime soon, but maybe in 2-3 years we’ll get it together. Then maybe he can go out on high note with 2 or 3 more championships. Or maybe we just keep getting worse. Who knows? But it’s just FCS football and nothing to go firing people over.

However if it should come to pass that he leaves or is nudged out, I just don’t want to be boxed into this FU coaching tree thing anymore. Three strikes.
 #40099  by FUBeAR
 Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:54 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
I just don’t want to be boxed into this FU coaching tree thing anymore.
Apparently, you have yet to take a gander at Fred Garvin’s resume.
 #40102  by The Jackal
 Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:58 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:34 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:03 pm
1. Could it be that the people that know and follow SoCon football better than you do had a higher opinion of Furman's team?

2. It could have been 1-6 or it could have been 6-1, too. Furman lead in the second half against everyone but the Citadel. Our special teams cost us several games as we attempted to replace our entire unit from 2019 except maybe the holder.

3. It's all relative each year. Maybe the offenses were worse than last year. Maybe the defenses are better. Furman, for instance, played UTC at full strength. Mercer played their backups. ETSU and Samford didn't play them at all.

I'm not suggesting we were stellar. I've said we had a lot of issues and looked terrible at times. I just resist the notion of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

You've been making these excuses, and making these predictions of imminent success, for over 10 years. How many times do you need to be wrong before you just stop?

I mean, on the plus side, it's pretty amusing - I love the one about how the season wasn't so bad because people *thought* Furman was good pre-season, even though it turned out that the Paladins were among the worst full scholarship teams in FCS.
By today's standards all those coaches would have been replaced too soon. All you "gotta have it now" fans need to have some patience
Have it now huh? Yeah, Furman football has been nationally competitive so recently, why on Earth would anyone be losing patience?

But regardless of that, the numbers don't lie. Furman's Massey rank under Hendrix has been:

That simply is not a pattern that indicates future success. It is very hard to find positive examples.

You'll have to explain to me how highlighting inconsistencies in an argument amounts to "making excuses."

Instead of addressing what I said (or probably even reading it), you prefer just to restate your confirmation bias. I don't care if you disagree with me, but call it what it is.
 #40106  by apaladin
 Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:24 pm
FurmAlum- we proved this spring have veteran experienced players does not equate to improvement. We got progressively worse. So having a lot coming back for the fall is not really anything to get excited about until results are seen on the field.
 #40108  by youwouldno
 Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:31 pm
The Jackal wrote:
You'll have to explain to me how highlighting inconsistencies in an argument amounts to "making excuses."

Instead of addressing what I said (or probably even reading it), you prefer just to restate your confirmation bias. I don't care if you disagree with me, but call it what it is.
There is no "inconsistency" mentioned in any of your posts, except the inconsistency between program expectations and program results.

"I'm not suggesting we were stellar." Wow. Not stellar. How about one of the worst seasons - by objective computer rankings - in the past 50 years of the program? And the team was mostly healthy! Not stellar.

They were a bad football team by any objective measure. The only contrary point is you just . . . saying it wasn't that bad. Ok, great. Why hadn't anyone thought of this before? When a team massively underperforms, instead of accepting responsibility, the coaching staff should just say that it wasn't that bad! Though they would have to acknowledge that it was "not stellar."
apaladin liked this
 #40116  by The Jackal
 Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:46 am
youwouldno wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:31 pm
The Jackal wrote:

There is no "inconsistency" mentioned in any of your posts, except the inconsistency between program expectations and program results.

"I'm not suggesting we were stellar." Wow. Not stellar. How about one of the worst seasons - by objective computer rankings - in the past 50 years of the program? And the team was mostly healthy! Not stellar.

They were a bad football team by any objective measure. The only contrary point is you just . . . saying it wasn't that bad. Ok, great. Why hadn't anyone thought of this before? When a team massively underperforms, instead of accepting responsibility, the coaching staff should just say that it wasn't that bad! Though they would have to acknowledge that it was "not stellar."

I'm not going to argue with you when you clearly don't read what I say. At least not carefully.
 #40121  by Affirm
 Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:59 am
Furmanoid wrote:
I for one haven’t said to get rid of the coach. He’s probably 6-7 years from retirement and we might as well ride it out. There just isn’t any reason to expect too much, that’s all. I think it’s unlikely that we are going to get real good anytime soon, but maybe in 2-3 years we’ll get it together. Then maybe he can go out on high note with 2 or 3 more championships. Or maybe we just keep getting worse. Who knows? But it’s just FCS football and nothing to go firing people over.

However if it should come to pass that he leaves or is nudged out, I just don’t want to be boxed into this FU coaching tree thing anymore. Three strikes.
Could we freeze (even reduce) his and the OC’s salaries until results warrant otherwise? Require that any FB salary increase money go only to other assistant coaches? Maybe this might cause the HC & the OC to go find another job or decide to retire sooner than otherwise? How much salary decrease was already implemented last spring due to COVID-related financial concerns?
 #40124  by Furmanoid
 Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:36 am
Oh for sure. No championship, no raise. Other schools might pay better, but they also insist you get more than 10 yards in the first quarter.
apaladin, Affirm liked this
 #40143  by gofurman
 Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:54 pm
affirm wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:59 am
Furmanoid wrote:

Could we freeze (even reduce) his and the OC’s salaries until results warrant otherwise? Require that any FB salary increase money go only to other assistant coaches? Maybe this might cause the HC & the OC to go find another job or decide to retire sooner than otherwise? How much salary decrease was already implemented last spring due to COVID-related financial concerns?
usually what is done is tie incentives to conference titles, playoff berths etc. So there is not a 'disincentive' as the base salary remains the same regardless. rather you get bonuses for success. The easier thing would be to make less base but larger incentives if this was the thought.
 #40152  by youwouldno
 Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:10 pm
The Jackal wrote:
I'm not going to argue with you when you clearly don't read what I say. At least not carefully.

There's nothing to really "argue" about. You've been providing substantially the same opinions for 10+ years, and you have been wrong over and over again . . . you are literally less accurate than a broken clock.

The number of times you repeat an incorrect statement, or the number of different ways you phrase an incorrect statement, is irrelevant . . . you can express strong support for the coaching staff without the constant excuses, claims that failures actually weren't so bad, etc., etc. Your expressions of support would actually be more effective if you were rational when discussing the program's performance.
 #40158  by The Jackal
 Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:07 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:10 pm
The Jackal wrote:

There's nothing to really "argue" about. You've been providing substantially the same opinions for 10+ years, and you have been wrong over and over again . . . you are literally less accurate than a broken clock.

The number of times you repeat an incorrect statement, or the number of different ways you phrase an incorrect statement, is irrelevant . . . you can express strong support for the coaching staff without the constant excuses, claims that failures actually weren't so bad, etc., etc. Your expressions of support would actually be more effective if you were rational when discussing the program's performance.

Go back and read more carefully.

Many of my opinions on the subject are to tell the perpetually dissatisfied among you to quit freaking out. There are a few folks on this forum that haven't said a positive thing about Furman athletics in years.

I wouldn't trust most of you to give me an opinion on where to eat dinner, much less dissect a football team.
Roundball, FUwolfpacker, Thorny and 1 others liked this
 #40168  by youwouldno
 Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:39 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:07 pm
Go back and read more carefully.

Many of my opinions on the subject are to tell the perpetually dissatisfied among you to quit freaking out. There are a few folks on this forum that haven't said a positive thing about Furman athletics in years.

I wouldn't trust most of you to give me an opinion on where to eat dinner, much less dissect a football team.

Every post seems to change what you previously meant to say. Now it's about 'not freaking out.' I think it's much more resignation at this point than "freaking out." I don't believe I've seen a single post suggesting that Hendrix should be relieved. In every other sports forum on Earth, that would be a sign of straight-up nirvana; on here, being mildly displeased with being one of the worst full scholarship teams in FCS is "freaking out."

The common thread here though is that you keep talking about feelings, whether posters have the right attitude, etc. Why you think discussion of Furman athletics should be more like The View or whatever is beyond me, but what you don't talk about is - actual results, actual expectations, actual assessment of the program, other than some throw-away excuses that collapse if anyone thinks about them for more than 3 seconds.

It's incredibly delusional for someone to be wrong constantly and then expect his opinions to be taken seriously. And then to turn around and say the opinions of other people are worthless, even though they are correct far more often. No rational person looks at the world that way. And to be fair, I know you don't either, and just feel the need to stand up for people you think highly of. But this isn't the way to do it.

What makes sense for discussion is - what factors are holding the program back? Not - being one of the worst full scholarship teams in FCS is actually pretty good guys, stop "freaking out."