• Citadel Game Thread

#39886  by The Jackal
 Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:14 am
Didn't have a chance to watch the game. Looked at the box score and some "highlights" and decided I'd seen enough.

This staff needs to go back to the drawing board. I believe we have talented players - for instance, I don't see how veteran guys that anchored an offensive line for several years all of the sudden went from all-conference to terrible. That does not make sense to me.

This team better not show up in the fall and play this type of disinterested brand of football.
 #39887  by Furmanoid
 Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:58 am
The Jackal wrote:
Didn't have a chance to watch the game. Looked at the box score and some "highlights" and decided I'd seen enough.

This staff needs to go back to the drawing board. I believe we have talented players - for instance, I don't see how veteran guys that anchored an offensive line for several years all of the sudden went from all-conference to terrible. That does not make sense to me.

This team better not show up in the fall and play this type of disinterested brand of football.
Jackal, you seem to keep up with the roster better than anybody. Did we bench anybody on the OL ( or anywhere else) that you noticed? It seems like somebody would have lost their spot somewhere along the way.

Also, how many guys would only be coming back in the Fall because of the extra Covid season eligibility? After this showing, I wonder how many really want to come back for more. (I also wonder how many we really want to come back for more.) Maybe a chunk of our team had already put football in the mental rear view before this season even got going good.
apaladin liked this
 #39898  by curiousfan
 Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:16 am
Or how about exciting...we are not playing a good brand of football right now...so let’s clean up our house first.
apaladin wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:12 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:32 pm
Choir Boy wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:29 pm
Win, get home safely, take a break and get ready for football season. This like A JV football season.
I had high hopes for this spring season. Not just from a Furman perspective, but also from an FCS perspective, but I think it was a full on disaster across the board. Bad football, teams quitting, no national TV games ... excited for it to be over and hopefully it will be back to normal in the fall.
There were/are national TV games every week but you have to be an HBCU to qualify.
 #39908  by fufanatic
 Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:51 pm
JohnW wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:47 pm
Offense is awful. It is Coach Hendrix's fault. Total mismanagement of personnel, bad faith, poor leadership. I'll quit before I type something I regret.

I am not in the mood to defend the football program, but wanting to drop it, or go non-scholarship since we had a bad year but bring back baseball is ludicrous. Success is not a argument for baseball over basically any other sport at Furman. Mediocrity was the norm. Football is a year removed from being in the post season, when was the last time baseball even had a winning record? I wish Furman still had a baseball team just because I believe that is a sport we should compete in, not because I miss all the winning. Be mad as hell about the season we've had, I'm right there, just don't tell me having a .500 baseball team would be better.
1000% this. Completely agree Furman should have baseball and I get that many love nothing more than spending a day at the ball park on a nice spring day, but the program was mediocre at best and had been with rare exceptions for decades. Hell, the last NCAA tourney team was thanks to a miracle run through the SoCon from the 7 or 8 seed. A mediocre to bad baseball team in the SoCon would not make up for how awful football is right now.
apaladin liked this
 #39914  by apaladin
 Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:34 pm
I think it is safe to say that we have seen our last win vs. Mercer for the forseeable future.
Paladin91 liked this
 #39920  by The Jackal
 Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:15 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:58 am
The Jackal wrote:

Jackal, you seem to keep up with the roster better than anybody. Did we bench anybody on the OL ( or anywhere else) that you noticed? It seems like somebody would have lost their spot somewhere along the way.

Also, how many guys would only be coming back in the Fall because of the extra Covid season eligibility? After this showing, I wonder how many really want to come back for more. (I also wonder how many we really want to come back for more.) Maybe a chunk of our team had already put football in the mental rear view before this season even got going good.
This was a veteran offensive line. They moved a few guys around this spring, but largely everyone playing for Furman had been doing this a long time.

We had three guys starting on the OL yesterday that were starting games in 2018. Some have been in the starting lineup since 2017. Even many of the "young" guys on the line have 15-20 games played.
 #39928  by curiousfan
 Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:50 pm
Was it mentioned...one of the key turning points was the fielded punt inside the 10 that flipped the field. Afterwards we had to punt and the Citadel got the ball on our side of the 50. Citadel went on to score. This is just another example of adjustments that could have been made during the spring. We were awful field punts and kickoffs....Rule number one for kickoffs....Field (secure) the ball, kickoffs should not hit the turf.....Punt returns, if heels are on the ten; let the ball go....we were dreadful in the kickoff return/punt return departments. That should have been fixed or return men substituted.
 #39957  by gofurman
 Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:09 am
curiousfan wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:50 pm
Was it mentioned...one of the key turning points was the fielded punt inside the 10 that flipped the field. Afterwards we had to punt and the Citadel got the ball on our side of the 50. Citadel went on to score. This is just another example of adjustments that could have been made during the spring. We were awful field punts and kickoffs....Rule number one for kickoffs....Field (secure) the ball, kickoffs should not hit the turf.....Punt returns, if heels are on the ten; let the ball go....we were dreadful in the kickoff return/punt return departments. That should have been fixed or return men substituted.
I have to admit I cringed watching that. That's HS football 101 .. put your feet on the 10 and if a punt is going over you - at all - just fake the catch by waving your arms and hope it goes into the end zone. Most times the ball will make to the end zone and you will gain yards. These sorts of 'details', while small, make or break a game. We have other issues - mainly on O - but the fact that I , who know nothing , know that that is what you do on a Pnt Retrn just shocked me to watch us back up and field the punt on the 4... Why would we do that?
 #39970  by apaladin
 Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:08 pm
Agree, we did not field punts well all year. Caught mamy that should have not been caught and let many go that should hve been caught. Besides the one mentioned above another one Saturday hit on the 15 and rolled to the one. CCH mentioned this one on his postgame, said you just can’t do that. Just one of a lot of things we don’t do well.
 #39986  by Affirm
 Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:06 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:44 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:33 pm
FCS football is a money pit.
Then why are 130+ teams participating?
Do you think maybe it’s because being in FCS gives so much national fame and national PR to the colleges located in places with names like Normal, Lorman, Smithfield, Brookville, Moon Township, Brookings, Macomb, Buie’s Creek, Boiling Springs, Durham (in 2 states), Clinton, Cullowhee, Pine Bluff, New Britain, Orono, West Long Branch, Fairfield, Cedar City, , etc.?
 #39991  by Furmanoid
 Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:34 pm
affirm wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:06 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:44 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:33 pm
FCS football is a money pit.
Then why are 130+ teams participating?
Do you think maybe it’s because being in FCS gives so much national fame and national PR to the colleges located in places with names like Normal, Lorman, Smithfield, Brookville, Moon Township, Brookings, Macomb, Buie’s Creek, Boiling Springs, Durham (in 2 states), Clinton, Cullowhee, Pine Bluff, New Britain, Orono, West Long Branch, Fairfield, Cedar City, , etc.?
My guess is that schools want to play for DI championships in other sports AND have some sort of football. Kids, especially boys, really do cross schools off their list if they don’t have some sort of football games to justify tailgating. Dropping football reduces applications.

So the choices are: real FCS, Pioneer league or petition to have dual DII/DI classification. I think that last option may be hard to do, but Augusta is DII with DI golf, so it can be done. FU could do DII with DI soccer and save a bunch of money.

But FU has plenty of money.