• Purple Rain at end of Mercer game

#39743  by RangerG
 Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:11 pm
As the Furman faithful left the Mercer game as losers, the stadium played Purple Rain. A Furman guy in front of our group said, "man that hurts," and another added, "those lyrics have never stung so bad." I got to hand it to Mercer, it was a well-done insult.
 #39746  by FUBeAR
 Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:18 pm
Did you catch the pre-game prayer?

The same preacher who delivered the “oh-so-controversial’ pre-game prayer in 2014

...said something like, “O lord, let our Mercer Bears give our friends from Furman University our very best example of hard-hitting....(and some other stuff like that) Football.

It was toned down from 2014, but it was still a sly shot across the bow.

Mercer peeps do feel like they have a ‘special’ relationship with Furman Football.

Mercer needs that guy to pray up a big ol’ prayer when the Wof-Fraud Teary-ers visit Macon this Fall (if they show up)...only SoCon Team Mercer has yet to defeat.
 #39748  by AlValonge
 Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:37 pm
I am not impressed and give no credit to where it is not due. Mercer played better than we did that day and did deserve to win, but I still believe in sportsmanship. I do not want to get involved in name-calling and urology metrics. We do not need to try to embarrass the other team, their fans, or their institution when we win. It is great to celebrate amongst our fans and we can even disparage them within the friendly confines of the FU faithful, but let's not turn into Georgia Southern fans. All that I care about is that we win and as far as I am concerned, the others are dead to me...
 #39749  by FUBeAR
 Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:23 pm
AlValonge wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:37 pm
I am not impressed and give no credit to where it is not due. Mercer played better than we did that day and did deserve to win, but I still believe in sportsmanship. I do not want to get involved in name-calling and urology metrics. We do not need to try to embarrass the other team, their fans, or their institution when we win. It is great to celebrate amongst our fans and we can even disparage them within the friendly confines of the FU faithful, but let's not turn into Georgia Southern fans. All that I care about is that we win and as far as I am concerned, the others are dead to me...
Did drunken Mercer Frat boys act like they were going to throw beer cans / bottles at your Furman decal’d vehicle on your way into the parking lot & then actually throw them (smart enough to leave their tosses well short) when you drove past?

Did you witness drunken Mercer fans dog-cuss & threaten elderly Furman fans (men & women) in the stands during the game?

Did a drunken Mercer co-ed vomit all over your back while you were waiting in line in at the concession stand?

I visited GaSou once and these things all happened to me in my 1 visit.

Since you were clearly drawing a line of comparison between GaSou & Mercer, I’m assuming your experiences with Mercer must be similar to what I experienced at GaSou. Yes?

Pretty sure that answer is a “No.” Having attended many Mercer games since 2013, I can say the fan experience there is as far from GaSou as Alpha is from Omega.

You may not appreciate the wry sense of humor displayed by Mercer’s stadium operators or their Pastor ... and that’s fine. I’m sure you also don’t appreciate the PA playing “3 Blind Mice” during replays & other such fun-sense. All cool.

Mercer ain’t GaSou though - them’s dang near fightin’ words to FUBeAR.
RangerG, Roundball, QCGlue and 1 others liked this
 #39750  by RangerG
 Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:59 pm
Mercer really enjoyed the win and they deserved it. The pre-game prayer and playing Purple Rain were not over the line and we had a great time at the game. We'll get to chant FU all the time next time when we win.
FUBeAR, Roundball, QCGlue liked this
 #39752  by The Jackal
 Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:18 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:18 pm
Did you catch the pre-game prayer?

The same preacher who delivered the “oh-so-controversial’ pre-game prayer in 2014

...said something like, “O lord, let our Mercer Bears give our friends from Furman University our very best example of hard-hitting....(and some other stuff like that) Football.

It was toned down from 2014, but it was still a sly shot across the bow.

Mercer peeps do feel like they have a ‘special’ relationship with Furman Football.

Mercer needs that guy to pray up a big ol’ prayer when the Wof-Fraud Teary-ers visit Macon this Fall (if they show up)...only SoCon Team Mercer has yet to defeat.

Mercer's definitely got the Wofford "they're our big rival, but they don't know it" thing going.
 #39753  by gman84
 Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:25 am
Mercer is a great addition to the Socon, and yes there is an interesting connection between the two football programs. A little friendly jabbing is fine with me.
 #39754  by The Jackal
 Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:38 am
gman84 wrote:
Mercer is a great addition to the Socon, and yes there is an interesting connection between the two football programs. A little friendly jabbing is fine with me.

Definitely was the first time I'd seen something like this from a SoCon school. This is sort of reminiscent of the t-shirts you'd get before an SEC football game with a Tiger stomping on a Gator or Bulldog or some such thing.

#39757  by FUBeAR
 Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:26 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:38 am
gman84 wrote:

Definitely was the first time I'd seen something like this from a SoCon school. This is sort of reminiscent of the t-shirts you'd get before an SEC football game with a Tiger stomping on a Gator or Bulldog or some such thing.

LOL - saw that - thought it might have been a shot at or an homage to FUBeAR based upon a few of the ProPics I use in various places - can’t make it work here because Stumpy is mean.

#39758  by curiousfan
 Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:50 am
Ok...geez...I loved the prayer and Purple Rain...it felt bad after that lost AND hilarious at the same time...I support the Paladin program but it is some sensitive “fans” on this board. Kids like to have fun on the sideline and while playing this G-A-M-E. Just watch how the coaching staff encourages engagement on the sideline during games. It only becomes over the line when we are getting our “arses” kicked....if WE don’t want three celebrating, it’s simple...PLAY and COACH better!
frostman77, QCGlue, RangerG liked this
 #39761  by AlValonge
 Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:34 pm
I agree that we need to play and coach better. I have not had any negative interactions with any Mercer fans and don't expect to have any. I would also like to keep it that way with all the teams in the SoCon. My point was that sometimes kidding may be intended as "jabbing" but it may not be received as amicably as you intended. I find it to be a distraction and it actually negatively impacts my enjoyment of the game. Incidentally, I don't consider myself to be a sensitive Furman fan. I stand by my statement and everyone is welcome to their own opinion.
 #39763  by FUBeAR
 Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:58 pm
AlValonge wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:34 pm
I agree that we need to play and coach better. I have not had any negative interactions with any Mercer fans and don't expect to have any. I would also like to keep it that way with all the teams in the SoCon. My point was that sometimes kidding may be intended as "jabbing" but it may not be received as amicably as you intended. I find it to be a distraction and it actually negatively impacts my enjoyment of the game. Incidentally, I don't consider myself to be a sensitive Furman fan. I stand by my statement and everyone is welcome to their own opinion.
Yeah...no problem with your opinion on the humor. I like puns. My son wants to punch me if I use one in his presence. To each his/her own in the humor appreciation realm.

My problem is you drawing a straight line from a couple of (slyly humorous to many) digs by Mercer peeps to the utter redneckery exhibited by the classless shiteheads representative of GaSou. That comment itself is about 100x as offensive as both of the Mercer gambols we heard on Saturday, combined.

Guess you you don’t recognize it as such because I missed your apology in your follow-up post.

No worries. FUBeAR has a very thick coat of fur.