• Tough stretch

#39715  by fu77fan
 Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:52 pm
This has been a tough stretch for Furman fans!!

Basketball
1.) Lost to the pups from Wofford which cost us the So Con season championship.
2.) Lost in the first round of the tournament to VMI
3.) Learned that Noah would not return

We had high expectations this year and did not come close to meeting them.
Expectations for next year are dampened by losing both Mounce and Gurley

Football - enough said. See my harsh posts under the fb forum.

Between bb and fb, I do not remember a year where the expectations were so high and the results were so disappointing!

Waiting for some good news !!
 #39716  by Sad Din
 Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:09 pm
fu77fan wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:52 pm
This has been a tough stretch for Furman fans!!

Basketball
1.) Lost to the pups from Wofford which cost us the So Con season championship.
2.) Lost in the first round of the tournament to VMI
3.) Learned that Noah would not return

We had high expectations this year and did not come close to meeting them.
Expectations for next year are dampened by losing both Mounce and Gurley

Football - enough said. See my harsh posts under the fb forum.

Between bb and fb, I do not remember a year where the expectations were so high and the results were so disappointing!

Waiting for some good news !!
Not to mention cutting two sports!

On the other hand, soccer, golf, tennis, track and wlax are doing well
 #40857  by purplehorse
 Sun May 23, 2021 12:19 pm
I am more worried about football than basketball. For the first time in my life I am having thoughts about maybe we would be better served by putting money into basketball and dropping football. There the smaller schools can compete with the big boys. Mediocrity in football would be a tough pill to swallow.
 #40858  by Furmanoid
 Sun May 23, 2021 12:39 pm
If we were to put more money into basketball, what would we spend it on? I could see someday giving the coach a big bump if we ever win anything.
 #40859  by Davemeister
 Sun May 23, 2021 2:17 pm
Methinks forty years of failure in the SoCon Basketball Tournament is a tough stretch.
tim, GOAT liked this
 #40860  by furpop16
 Sun May 23, 2021 2:31 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 12:39 pm
If we were to put more money into basketball, what would we spend it on? I could see someday giving the coach a big bump if we ever win anything.

To answer your question (not that I agree with robbing FB to pay for these):
1. Coach has mentioned several times his desire for a dedicated practice facility. We haven't heard much about this lately, which makes me think we're already in an initial 'quiet phase' of an associated Capital Campaign;
2. Bball-friendly renovations to Timmons. Several usual suspects have opined such efforts would best be initiated with dynamite. However, I recall about a year ago a UFFP-er's sharp-eyed son observed CBR carrying materials referring to such renovations. I'd at least be open to architectural options before going to the wrecking ball.

Perhaps it's COVID in general, or our less than stellar recent season, or Gurley's early departure, but personally I could use a morale boost. I'm hopeful for some uplifting news.
apaladin, DoomedDin1127 liked this
 #40861  by Furmanoid
 Sun May 23, 2021 3:32 pm
Not having a practice facility is weird. They had one in the Joe Williams days. Did they tear it down?
 #40862  by FUBeAR
 Sun May 23, 2021 6:52 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 3:32 pm
Not having a practice facility is weird. They had one in the Joe Williams days. Did they tear it down?
They practiced in the “Old Gym” in FUBeAR’s day. Other than Football Coaches lunchtime pickup games, it was dedicated to Men’s Hoops. Those FU Hoops Teams won Championships.

I think we had a Women’s Team at the time & I think they practiced in the PAC.

Both buildings are still standing. So, with Timmons, we have 3 Basketball Buildings on campus.

Prolly wants a dedicated S&C Center for Hoops. I think a lot of the Teams have to share what exists now…

I know we won a bunch of SoCon Football Championships with 2 benches, 1 incline bench, 2 squat racks, 2 deadlift pads, 2 sets of dip bars, a few dumbbells, 2 Nautilus machines, and a rarely-used Universal Multi-Station rig in the basement of the “Old Gym.” And that was after a major upgrade.

Get off my lawn. Win something.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon May 24, 2021 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
apaladin liked this
 #40864  by Furmanoid
 Sun May 23, 2021 10:26 pm
I remember seeing an intra squad game in that gym one homecoming morning in the ‘70’s. Got to see Moose and Clyde and all those guys up close.
FUBeAR liked this
 #40865  by Sad Din
 Sun May 23, 2021 10:46 pm
IMHO we have 1 maybe 2 years in this "quiet" phase before CBR gets impatient and moves on. He has made it clear that progress is needed and quickly
 #40866  by FUBeAR
 Mon May 24, 2021 12:19 am
Sad Din wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 10:46 pm
IMHO we have 1 maybe 2 years in this "quiet" phase before CBR gets impatient and moves on. He has made it clear that progress is needed and quickly
Coach Richey seems like a good Coach & a good guy.

Don’t know, so just asking…Is there a lot of precedent for 3rd Place SoCon Teams’ Head Basketball Coaches leaving for bigger, better jobs?
 #40867  by RaleighDin
 Mon May 24, 2021 12:53 am
No idea, but I have to think where to program has historically ranked is taken into account as well. So you take a bottom dweller and prove you can maintain a top 3 program in the SoCon with limited resources and facilities that are a joke compared to many conference foes? Probably likely that a big school will swoop in eventually if Furman doesn't commit the resources.

From everything I can see he wants to be here - how many other coaches would be in it for the long term if he left? End of the day, even if we commit the resources and he leaves, we're better positioned to land a quality replacement (Tim Johnson would be top of my list).
 #40868  by FUBeAR
 Mon May 24, 2021 6:58 am
RaleighDin wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:53 am
No idea, but I have to think where to program has historically ranked is taken into account as well. So you take a bottom dweller and prove you can maintain a top 3 program in the SoCon
Yes. That’s what Coach Medved did & he got a bigger, better job. Seems to me we’re about in the same position/place we were, more or less, when he departed.

So, rephrasing the question - Is there solid precedent for a Head SoCon Basketball Coach, who maintains his Teams at 3rd place (or so), to be tapped for bigger, better jobs?
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon May 24, 2021 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #40869  by Furmanoid
 Mon May 24, 2021 9:53 am
If we don’t do something special this year or next, the recent buzz around CBR will fade, and we can keep him around with decent raises and job security. If he does something real special and gets offers from major teams, we probably can’t fight them off anyway. Fix up Timmons all you want and we still won’t have ACC or SEC facilities.

I vote for the Last Chance U guy to replace him.
 #40871  by apaladin
 Mon May 24, 2021 11:05 am
Don’t think where FU finishes in the SoCon is a big factor but winning 20-25 games a year at Furman is eye opening. Hope I am wrong but chances of the 20+ win seasons continuing are trending down.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.