• Wofford opts out of rest of season

#39689  by mathprofhiker
 Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:10 am
Last fall I was OK with the decision to wait until spring, but in hindsight playing in the spring was a terrible idea. I feel bad for the players and coaches who have had to endure this.
dornb, Affirm liked this
 #39693  by apaladin
 Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:37 am
mathprofhiker wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:10 am
Last fall I was OK with the decision to wait until spring, but in hindsight playing in the spring was a terrible idea. I feel bad for the players and coaches who have had to endure this.
Love the statement from the SIU coach. Calling teams out for what they are, quitters,
Last edited by apaladin on Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
QCGlue, dornb liked this
 #39697  by Furmanoid
 Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:07 am
The season could have been great if everybody wanted to play. But there are always people who don’t want to play and this season they had an escape route. They would have done the same thing in the Fall. The opt out BS has got to be shut down for the Fall, but I fear it is here to stay. Kids have to be able to make their play pretend “business decisions” even if they are in the SoCon and will never really have any football “business” to decide about.

I can’t see how any coach thinks quitting makes him look good, but I guess they will try to sell it as commitment to player safety.
 #39698  by apaladin
 Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:18 am
We tend to think coaching etc is not a job and all coaches love what they do and they are so committed etc but in reality it is just like any other job. Not all coaches are the same. If in our job we had the option to keep working hard or we could just quit and still get paid the same amount with no consequences, take some time off and pick back up in a few months, that would be hard to not to do.
 #39714  by FUBeAR
 Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:54 pm
Roundball wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:55 pm
ETSU is looking for a game on the 17th. https://www.wjhl.com/sports/college-spo ... -schedule/
They won’t be after Mercer cuts their MountainPirate butts on Sat. night.

They’ll be ‘opted out’ of the Playoffs and will not want to play Berea HS on 4/17. Homecoming be damned.

I’m a little surprised at how publicly ETSU Admin, Coaches, and Fans are just penciling in a win over Mercer and focusing on the VMI & The Citadel game...and how they can get another game...or how they can get VMI to play them again for (their concept) of a SoCon Championship Game.

#39722  by FUBeAR
 Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:56 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:10 pm
One other thing, Woffy quitting prevents FU from honoring Tommy Stevenson.
C’mon now...the Wof-Fraud Teary-ers have a HUGE OUTBREAK of Covid up there in SparkleCity!

Didn’t you see the sincere pain in the HC’s eyes as he was being interviewed about this tragedy? Dang near teared up a couple of times. Probably would have except he had a fresh copy of his resume on his desk in front of him..and didn’t want to smear it anymore than 1-4 already has.

They can’t concern themselves with these kinds of trivialities ... in the midst of a pandemic.

MNORM, FurmAlum, QCGlue liked this
 #39740  by FurmAlum
 Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:57 pm
Great post FUBeAR! See if you can find a way to post that on the Wofford board and see what they say...

You did leave out a few categories:

Whiny HC's - 1
Coaches Looking for New Jobs -8
Wimpy Players - 63
Lying Administrators and Coaches - multiple
Administrators with No Backbone - multiple

Just wanted to make sure you got it right.
FUBeAR liked this
 #39759  by FUBeAR
 Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:13 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:57 pm
Great post FUBeAR! See if you can find a way to post that on the Wofford board and see what they say...

You did leave out a few categories:

Whiny HC's - 1
Coaches Looking for New Jobs -8
Wimpy Players - 63
Lying Administrators and Coaches - multiple
Administrators with No Backbone - multiple

Just wanted to make sure you got it right.
Even better post, FurmAlum!

But...nah, their new board (besides looking like a middle school basic computing project) is as dry as the martinis the Teary-ers’ fans drink on their “Verandah” (AKA as youth league style seating - watching the game sitting on lawn chairs’ at field level).

Their fans do not deserve the message board stylings of FUBeAR on their site. They’ll have to lurk elsewhere to hate on me.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.