• Wofford opts out of rest of season

#39629  by fu77fan
 Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:19 pm
Not a surprise to me, but typical of Wofford.
So they finished 1-4 in the conference.

This season has been a bust for certain!
 #39630  by Mocs123
 Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:42 pm
The spring season seemed like a good idea at the time, but in reality just turned into a mess. The SoCon (and FCS) should have tried and cobbled together the best season it could in the fall - maybe playing conference games and money games only.

Another thing that is a mess (and going to stay a mess for a year or two) is recruiting and roster management. With everyone getting an extra year in all of NCAA football it is going to change recruiting for the next few years. Effectively there are no scholarship limits for '21 (the way I understand it) but everyone has to be back to their approved levels for '22 which means there will be a lot of kids processed at schools and the transfer portal is going to be crazy. Some schools will really be able to take advantage of getting to sign extra guys, but most of the FCS schools, including UTC, can't afford to pay for any extra scholarships.

My guess is Conklin is not the HC at Wofford in Fall of 2022.
 #39631  by Mocs123
 Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:42 pm
The spring season seemed like a good idea at the time, but in reality just turned into a mess. The SoCon (and FCS) should have tried and cobbled together the best season it could in the fall - maybe playing conference games and money games only.

Another thing that is a mess (and going to stay a mess for a year or two) is recruiting and roster management. With everyone getting an extra year in all of NCAA football it is going to change recruiting for the next few years. Effectively there are no scholarship limits for '21 (the way I understand it) but everyone has to be back to their approved levels for '22 which means there will be a lot of kids processed at schools and the transfer portal is going to be crazy. Some schools will really be able to take advantage of getting to sign extra guys, but most of the FCS schools, including UTC, can't afford to pay for any extra scholarships.

My guess is Conklin is not the HC at Wofford in Fall of 2022.
 #39638  by apaladin
 Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:53 pm
Why didn’t some of the teams just say, ok we will start but if things don’t go well we will quit. Obviously some teams did not treat the spring season as a regular season or take it seriously. A shame for those who did.
QCGlue, dornb liked this
 #39640  by The Jackal
 Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:08 pm
Not terribly unexpected. I would be moderately surprised if Conklin is coaching the Terriers in the fall.

As a Furman fan, I am sort of ok with this. Playoffs are off the table. The goal now is getting to the summer in relative good health and get back to the drawing board.

Granted, I still would very much like to beat the Citadel.
Flagman liked this
 #39643  by Flagman
 Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:15 pm
Wofford should be penalized. Our 2021 game with the wussies should be played at Furman. Same goes for UTC. They should lose home games for quitting.
apaladin, MidlandsPaladin, Chuckles and 8 others liked this
 #39647  by FUBeAR
 Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:47 pm
WofFraud Teary-ers earned their name - they were a Fraud Team and their HC spent most of this season tearing up about how hard things were for him. FUBeAR will never call them anything else.

Most likely, the HC felt he was going to miss out on Job Interview prep time if he put any more of his time & effort into this Football Team.

So, WCU is done by default. Gotta give the Catamounts credit for NOT quitting.

Furman will finish the season by playing at the bellhops half-a-stadium / luggage stand. No doubt about that.

CIT will not quit and will face FU at home & travel to VMI

VMI needs a win over CIT...unless Mercer beats ETSU this week. Then...the smart thing for them to do would be to Covid-out of their game with CIT & clinch the Championship / AQ Playoff berth by doing so. Man, I would hate to see that happen, but...it would not surprise me.

ETSU has to play & win @ Mercer this week to keep their hopes alive...unless VMI decided to Covid out of their CIT game before kickoff on Sat. Then, it would be in ETSU’s best interest to Covid out of their game with Mercer. Unless...VMI pulled a really fast one...said they were Coviding out of CIT game, ETSU took the bait, and Covided out of the Mercer game & then ....

...too confusing....not gonna continue...

Be interesting to see if Sammy lays off for 3 weeks and then is ready to tee it up with Mercer with nothing to gain...really

COVID SUX!!!
QCGlue liked this
 #39651  by fufanatic
 Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:55 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:53 pm
As an aside, Furman better strap up for Saturday.

The Citadel isn't going to shut things down for us. We'll get the best they've got.
The better question is ... will they get the best we’ve got?
 #39657  by gofurman
 Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:04 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:08 pm
Not terribly unexpected. I would be moderately surprised if Conklin is coaching the Terriers in the fall.

As a Furman fan, I am sort of ok with this. Playoffs are off the table. The goal now is getting to the summer in relative good health and get back to the drawing board.

Granted, I still would very much like to beat the Citadel.
this. and this.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.