• UTC QUITS

#39291  by The Jackal
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:45 pm
Speaking of doing other things.

Wofford's two best players are entering the transfer portal.

WCU's best offensive player doing the same

This is unfortunate for SoCon football. These guys are the stars of their team.
 #39296  by DeepPurple
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:44 pm
I guess the Mocs have started their transfer portal recruiting for the fall.
 #39298  by apaladin
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:48 pm
Yep UTC in football is what ETSU is in basketball. Transfer U.
DeepPurple liked this
 #39300  by fupaladin01
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:03 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:45 pm
Speaking of doing other things.

Wofford's two best players are entering the transfer portal.

WCU's best offensive player doing the same

This is unfortunate for SoCon football. These guys are the stars of their team.
Samford QB Chris Oladokun (3-star USF transfer in 2018) also entered the portal.
 #39306  by The Jackal
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:19 pm
DeepPurple wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:44 pm
I guess the Mocs have started their transfer portal recruiting for the fall.
Other than the VMI kid going to the Citadel (and never playing), most of these transfer portal guys have not landed at other SoCon schools.

Van Cleave is the most interesting out of that group, but he's an odd fit on most D1 rosters as a 5'7 160 lbs slash runner.
 #39307  by The Jackal
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:22 pm
fupaladin01 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:03 pm

Samford QB Chris Oladokun (3-star USF transfer in 2018) also entered the portal.
Another reason sort of to ignore stars on recruits most of the time. What you do in the college game is more impressive to what you did in high school as a superior athlete to most of your competition.
 #39322  by FurmAlum
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:50 pm
Let me get this straight. These guys have entered the transfer portal before the season is even over?

If I was a college coach, would I want a player who entered the transfer portal before his team's season was even over?

Hell, f******, no.
 #39328  by FUBeAR
 Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:05 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:50 pm
Let me get this straight. These guys have entered the transfer portal before the season is even over?

If I was a college coach, would I want a player who entered the transfer portal before his team's season was even over?

Hell, f******, no.
yeah - FUBeAR could see allowing (future) Grad Tranfers (out) to keep playing if they wish to AND there isn’t any fall-off in their commitment level...but in-season (including this Spring Season) Transfer Portal entrants with undergrad eligibility remaining gotta come off my roster. If you ain’t wit me, yer agin’ me - still applies. Would welcome them back to the Team post-season if they would like to re-join AND if they demonstrate appropriate commitment level. Would re-new their schollies as well, once they have removed themselves from the portal...and if their skill, ability, and expected contribution-level warranted.
 #39331  by The Jackal
 Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:41 am
I had missed this at first, but it looks like UTC's decision was made after the players opted out of the season.

https://news.yahoo.com/utc-mocs-opt-spr ... 00733.html
On Monday, the combination of academic classload and concern for the unknown toll that could be inflicted on players bodies from potentially playing as many as 19 combined games this spring and fall, led "around 30" players — according to university sources to opt out of the remaining spring season.
I had assumed the University just made the decision to cease playing mid-season. It would seem, instead, that roughly 1/3 of UTC's roster opted out. That would explain the Mercer game a bit. They just didn't have enough willing and able to keep playing this season. The coaches were actually trying to convince them to play:
In the team's lone fall game, UTC nearly knocked off Western Kentucky, then began the spring by beating Wofford and The Citadel prior to a bye week. It was at that point that the players told coaches they were done, although Wright convinced them to play against Furman — a game they ultimately won 20-18.
 #39333  by FUBeAR
 Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:14 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:41 am
I had missed this at first, but it looks like UTC's decision was made after the players opted out of the season.

https://news.yahoo.com/utc-mocs-opt-spr ... 00733.html
On Monday, the combination of academic classload and concern for the unknown toll that could be inflicted on players bodies from potentially playing as many as 19 combined games this spring and fall, led "around 30" players — according to university sources to opt out of the remaining spring season.
I had assumed the University just made the decision to cease playing mid-season. It would seem, instead, that roughly 1/3 of UTC's roster opted out. That would explain the Mercer game a bit. They just didn't have enough willing and able to keep playing this season. The coaches were actually trying to convince them to play:
In the team's lone fall game, UTC nearly knocked off Western Kentucky, then began the spring by beating Wofford and The Citadel prior to a bye week. It was at that point that the players told coaches they were done, although Wright convinced them to play against Furman — a game they ultimately won 20-18.
If you’re going to buy all that noise, you probably place full faith & confidence in the veracity of this Tweet from the Head Mock...
 #39335  by The Jackal
 Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:23 am
I know Moc fans will spin this as players looking after themselves, but UTC isn't having to do anything different than what every other peer school is having to do. If they didn't want to play in the spring, they should have just opted out to begin with.

A player here or there entering the transfer portal or opting out seems inevitable. 1/3 of your roster opting out at the same time feels like mutiny.
 #39336  by FUBeAR
 Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:31 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:23 am
mutiny.
you spelled manipulation wrong...or maybe you were going for malarkey.
Mr. Taggart liked this
 #39337  by Furmanoid
 Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:54 am
If we can just remain functional we may be able to dominate the conference again! UTC is in mutiny. ETSU will be in a few hours if not already. Something seems off at Wofford. And Hell will eventually melt bringing VMI back to awfulness. Go Paladins! Don’t stink too bad and create a dynasty.