• Noah Transferring

#39284  by tim
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:53 am
Screw Furman, lets start a Noah Gurley fan club.
 #39285  by Furmanoid
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:17 am
Roundball wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:50 am
My goodness. Furman Paladins basketball is NOT a sinking ship. If you think otherwise, turn in your season ticket package now. Open your seats up to folks that know the coaches and players will be ready for a run at the SoCon title. I cannot wait to attend the Roundball Club and again sit in my court side seats at every game. Go Paladins!
My goodness. I didn’t say it was a sinking ship. I simply speculated that perhaps NG thinks it is which means it’s time to leave. The other option is that he thought we had a pretty good shot at the SoCon, but decided to do something that would torpedo that. Those are your two options.
 #39287  by palafan
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:44 am
I hate this portal with every ounce of what's is left of college sports. In my opinion, when you accept a scholarship it's a binding contract to play giving 100%, stay and get an education supported by the consideration of tuition and room and board.
 #39288  by Roundball
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:43 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Roundball wrote:
My goodness. Furman Paladins basketball is NOT a sinking ship. If you think otherwise, turn in your season ticket package now. Open your seats up to folks that know the coaches and players will be ready for a run at the SoCon title. I cannot wait to attend the Roundball Club and again sit in my court side seats at every game. Go Paladins!
My goodness. I didn’t say it was a sinking ship. I simply speculated that perhaps NG thinks it is which means it’s time to leave. The other option is that he thought we had a pretty good shot at the SoCon, but decided to do something that would torpedo that. Those are your two options.
Your words from an earlier post. "I can kinda see leaving a sinking ship."
 #39292  by fufanatic
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:56 pm
palafan wrote:
I hate this portal with every ounce of what's is left of college sports. In my opinion, when you accept a scholarship it's a binding contract to play giving 100%, stay and get an education supported by the consideration of tuition and room and board.
As long as you’re also anti coaches leaving before their contracts are up or leaving before the end of the season.
Roundball liked this
 #39293  by Roundball
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:06 pm
fufanatic wrote:
palafan wrote:
As long as you’re also anti coaches leaving before their contracts are up or leaving before the end of the season.
And, as long as he is okay with other students that have scholarships leaving in the middle of a school year or before they graduate. No student, athlete or not, should feel obligated to stay at a school if they feel led to attend another. That is real life.
 #39295  by youwouldno
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:19 pm
So let's see . . . Noah is offered a scholarship, spends 4 years on the basketball team, improving significantly along the way, and takes care of things academically, and then has the opportunity for free grad school while continuing to develop his basketball skills. I'm really, really struggling to see how that can possibly be seen as anything negative whatsoever so far as his decisions. Sounds to me like he's doing exactly what he should be doing, and I hope he continues to experience success.

To put it another way, why the f*** should he sacrifice his future to cover for the coaching staff not having more depth behind him? Is NG now in charge of recruiting his own replacement before he can go to grad school? What an absolutely insane way of looking at the situation.

And to top it all off, the basketball impact is being dramatically overstated by some. Yes, NG is a good player, but he's roughly equivalent to Hunter, Bothwell, and Slawson in terms of overall impact (i.e., considering defense, ball-handling, etc.). That's still a very experienced core, and if the coaching staff can't put enough supporting pieces around them, that's on the coaches, not NG.
 #39297  by Furmanoid
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:45 pm
Roundball wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:43 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Your words from an earlier post. "I can kinda see leaving a sinking ship."
Context matters. I said, “Of course it may be he thinks next year will be really bad even if he stays. I can kinda see leaving a sinking ship.” So I was saying IF HE thinks next year is looking bad anyway (a sinking ship) then I can see that as a reason to leave. That’s way different in my mind than leaving a real contender. I don’t know if that is his thinking or not.
 #39301  by Furmanoid
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:21 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:19 pm
So let's see . . . Noah is offered a scholarship, spends 4 years on the basketball team, improving significantly along the way, and takes care of things academically, and then has the opportunity for free grad school while continuing to develop his basketball skills. I'm really, really struggling to see how that can possibly be seen as anything negative whatsoever so far as his decisions. Sounds to me like he's doing exactly what he should be doing, and I hope he continues to experience success.

To put it another way, why the f*** should he sacrifice his future to cover for the coaching staff not having more depth behind him? Is NG now in charge of recruiting his own replacement before he can go to grad school? What an absolutely insane way of looking at the situation.

And to top it all off, the basketball impact is being dramatically overstated by some. Yes, NG is a good player, but he's roughly equivalent to Hunter, Bothwell, and Slawson in terms of overall impact (i.e., considering defense, ball-handling, etc.). That's still a very experienced core, and if the coaching staff can't put enough supporting pieces around them, that's on the coaches, not NG.
I agree with much of what you say. As I’ve said repeatedly, if he is in fact moving on to grad school, then transferring is completely understandable. If he wasn’t playing, I would completely understand going somewhere for playing time.

But if he just wants to move on because he hates the offense or doesn’t see his teammates as being good enough to get him where he wants to go, I understand that too, but I’m not gonna celebrate it and cheer him on. Bad precedent.

What if one of the new guys next year has a great freshman season and then decides to cash in and move “up”. Will that be cool?

You are right though that the impact of his transfer is mostly a big deal because we have no depth, and that ain’t his fault. It would be great if we had depth and had an offense that made optimal use of a a guy like NG.
 #39303  by PaladinPower
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:33 pm
You are acting like we have guys come thru the Furman program and are getting snatched up by P5 coaches at will... I'm not sure if you've been following, but I would bet Furman has the smallest transfer rate in Socon basketball for the past 6-7 seasons. This is a deal where a guy redshirted, probably graduated, and is putting his game on a bigger stage. It's not that Hunter, Bothwell, and Slawson can't get him there. It is the SOCON. I repeat, the SOCON. Unless you are Fletcher Magee breaking the 3 pt record, chances are you aren't being looked at. If this becomes a trend, sure it is fair to be concerned. This has been the only meaningful player to transfer since FU hoops has been relevant.
Roundball liked this
 #39310  by youwouldno
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:44 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
I agree with much of what you say. As I’ve said repeatedly, if he is in fact moving on to grad school, then transferring is completely understandable. If he wasn’t playing, I would completely understand going somewhere for playing time.

But if he just wants to move on because he hates the offense or doesn’t see his teammates as being good enough to get him where he wants to go, I understand that too, but I’m not gonna celebrate it and cheer him on. Bad precedent.

What if one of the new guys next year has a great freshman season and then decides to cash in and move “up”. Will that be cool?

You are right though that the impact of his transfer is mostly a big deal because we have no depth, and that ain’t his fault. It would be great if we had depth and had an offense that made optimal use of a a guy like NG.

For numerous reasons that you can feel free to research, it's extremely unlikely that someone in NG's position could transfer to a major program without graduating first.

But in reality your entire line of reasoning is misguided and inappropriate . . . you are essentially stating that scholarship athletes owe some duty of 'loyalty' above and beyond what was actually agreed to when they accepted the scholarship offer. What exactly is the ethical basis for this claim? In what other situations would this be applicable? It doesn't apply to millionaire CEOs, that's for sure. But for a young man or woman trying to make their way in the world - transferring schools is some kind of moral affront?

If anything, a student athlete transferring should be way *less* controversial than, say, someone moving to a different firm for more money. The student athlete is already operating under a fairly restrictive set of circumstances, including for instance their limited eligibility (one-time Covid waiver aside). If it wasn't for the staff redshirting NG and then Covid happening, he wouldn't have even had the option to transfer at this point.

You need to either present some kind of consistent principle that can be applied across the board (i.e., to student athletes, other students, people in the workforce, etc.) or accept that you are badly mistaken.
Roundball, MNORM liked this
 #39314  by Furmanoid
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:00 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:44 pm
Furmanoid wrote:

For numerous reasons that you can feel free to research, it's extremely unlikely that someone in NG's position could transfer to a major program without graduating first.

But in reality your entire line of reasoning is misguided and inappropriate . . . you are essentially stating that scholarship athletes owe some duty of 'loyalty' above and beyond what was actually agreed to when they accepted the scholarship offer. What exactly is the ethical basis for this claim? In what other situations would this be applicable? It doesn't apply to millionaire CEOs, that's for sure. But for a young man or woman trying to make their way in the world - transferring schools is some kind of moral affront?

If anything, a student athlete transferring should be way *less* controversial than, say, someone moving to a different firm for more money. The student athlete is already operating under a fairly restrictive set of circumstances, including for instance their limited eligibility (one-time Covid waiver aside). If it wasn't for the staff redshirting NG and then Covid happening, he wouldn't have even had the option to transfer at this point.

You need to either present some kind of consistent principle that can be applied across the board (i.e., to student athletes, other students, people in the workforce, etc.) or accept that you are badly mistaken.
So let me get this straight. Some coach sits in my living room and tells me to come to his school and I get a guarantee of one year free education and almost certainly 4 years of free education EVEN IF IT TURNS OUT THAT I SUCK. But I don’t owe that guy any loyalty. It would be misguided and inappropriate to think any loyalty is owed that person. That guy has now scratched somebody off his list for me and started planning around me without even knowing I can play, but if his coaching turns me into a good player it is completely cool for me to jump ship. Jokes on him. Is that it?
FurmAlum liked this
 #39316  by Sad Din
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:13 pm
After scouring the transfer portal, SD beleives this would be a suitable replacement

#39318  by youwouldno
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:34 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:00 pm
So let me get this straight. Some coach sits in my living room and tells me to come to his school and I get a guarantee of one year free education and almost certainly 4 years of free education EVEN IF IT TURNS OUT THAT I SUCK. But I don’t owe that guy any loyalty. It would be misguided and inappropriate to think any loyalty is owed that person. That guy has now scratched somebody off his list for me and started planning around me without even knowing I can play, but if his coaching turns me into a good player it is completely cool for me to jump ship. Jokes on him. Is that it?

If you suck, why the f*** did the coach offer you a scholarship? That's his problem, not your problem.

And for that matter, why exactly is the coach in your living room? Is it because he runs a charity? Or it because he's trying to advance his career?

This same idiotic argument could be used against almost any job change. I changed firms 7 years ago, after only ~18 months at the prior firm. They could have hired someone else, invested in training for someone else, etc. etc. But me leaving for more money elsewhere was completely understood and routine.

Transferring responsibility from college coaches to young athletes is just wrong, period, end of story, full stop. Under any circumstances. To do it in a case where the athlete put in a strong, successful effort for 4 years while meeting academic requirements? It's so wrong that it's not a legitimate opinion. You may as well carry on about aliens being to blame.
 #39326  by palafan
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:30 pm
fufanatic wrote:
palafan wrote:

Niko sucks. I don’t write the contracts, but hell yeah. NCAA is a joke. I laughed when I read they are a “non-profit” on their Facebook page. Wonder what their directors get paid? It’s all about feeding the pros now. College sports are now farm teams for the pros. I don’t give a damn about any pro sports. It’s no longer about loyalty, getting an education, representing your school, your state, and your conference. Instant gratification without sacrifice and loyalty is the new normal. “Student athlete” is a term of the past. I am not referring to Gurley specifically, but in many cases, this is reality. Bottom line is that this new rule and portal just hurts the mid-major basketball teams and the FCS football teams. We will never see a Martin or Forcier transfer again, but we will lose Atkins and Gurley.

I wasn’t an athlete, but I worked 45 hours a week to pay my way through Furman. Furman didn’t give me anything but a great education and great memories. I give back to Furman every year with my money, my presence at many sports and my passion for a school that seems to be losing its way.
FurmAlum liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.