• Noah Transferring

#39238  by paladinfan12
 Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:18 pm
If Noah has his degree in May then this is a good decision for him. He now gets a Masters (for free) and a chance to play for a program and conference that is nationally relevant.

Furman does not need to alter the academics of their university and add masters programs to cater to athletics. When kids like Grayson Atkins and Noah Gurley graduate and move to larger programs for their final year or two it is a great reflection on Furman. I agree it sucks that the team will be objectively worse next year, but setting kids up for opportunities like the one Noah has should be an equally (if not more) desirable goal to winning basketball games. We should root for Noah like we root for the Paladins.
Affirm, FU3, Roundball and 2 others liked this
 #39241  by Roundball
 Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:52 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:56 pm
Roundball, you may be right but just hard to believe he is graduating. No one including CBR has mentioned this would be his last year. Its hard for any athlete to graduate in 4 years because of time demands of his/her sport. Basketball is the worst because it is going on the vast majority of the academic year.
Don't forget that he came to Furman in the summer of 2017. He has spent every summer on campus, while taking classes. Noah is very bright and apparently able to complete his course work to graduate in May, or at least that is what I am being told. Of course, the person telling me that could be wrong. It would be good to hear it from Noah or Coach Richey. That would be positive news to get out sooner than later.
Affirm liked this
 #39245  by fufanatic
 Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:16 pm
Good read: https://247sports.com/college/basketbal ... 163291680/.

It pretty much lays out why he's leaving. He did his "four years at Furman" (I read that as graduating), his long term goal is to be a pro (I read that as NBA), and he thinks going to a bigger school in a bigger conference with a new set of coaches and teammates is the best way to get there. I hate it for Furman, and yes, he is taking a risk, but I absolutely can see what he's thinking. I love the idea of him at Marquette. Name coach, below average team recently, good conference in BIG EAST. I bet he could play right away, potentially start. Or what about Arkansas? Elite Eight team, plays fast, name coach with NBA credentials. Maybe he doesn't play right away, but banging around with those guys every day in practice should make him better. I wonder if Alabama reaches out? Great coach, prefers shots around rim and 3 pointers. Didn't work against UCLA, but they'll be back. I'm happy for him and look forward to following his career.
 #39252  by Furmanoid
 Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:45 pm
fufanatic wrote:

It pretty much lays out why he's leaving. He did his "four years at Furman" (I read that as graduating), his long term goal is to be a pro (I read that as NBA), and he thinks going to a bigger school in a bigger conference with a new set of coaches and teammates is the best way to get there. I hate it for Furman, and yes, he is taking a risk, but I absolutely can see what he's thinking. I love the idea of him at Marquette. Name coach, below average team recently, good conference in BIG EAST. I bet he could play right away, potentially start. Or what about Arkansas? Elite Eight team, plays fast, name coach with NBA credentials. Maybe he doesn't play right away, but banging around with those guys every day in practice should make him better. I wonder if Alabama reaches out? Great coach, prefers shots around rim and 3 pointers. Didn't work against UCLA, but they'll be back. I'm happy for him and look forward to following his career.
I’m not so sure he graduated. I haven’t seen that anywhere. It sounds more like he’s just bailing out to me. Usually if it’s a graduate studies thing they say so. So I’m not sure I’m rooting that hard for NG. He got about $1/4 M worth of education and a lot of exposure playing for Furman and when they need him most he’s blowing Dodge. Why root for that?

If it turns out he is graduating I’ll take this back and go back to blaming ED like usual.

And I think intelligent players with his skill level are thinking Europe, not NBA. That’s why he said “pro”.
 #39255  by Roundball
 Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:21 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
fufanatic wrote:

I’m not so sure he graduated. I haven’t seen that anywhere. It sounds more like he’s just bailing out to me. Usually if it’s a graduate studies thing they say so. So I’m not sure I’m rooting that hard for NG. He got about $1/4 M worth of education and a lot of exposure playing for Furman and when they need him most he’s blowing Dodge. Why root for that?

If it turns out he is graduating I’ll take this back and go back to blaming ED like usual.

And I think intelligent players with his skill level are thinking Europe, not NBA. That’s why he said “pro”.
I will pull for Noah because he is a great young man. He did us a favor too, when he signed and played hard while here. It has been a joy to get to know him and to watch him play.
fufanatic, QCGlue, MNORM liked this
 #39256  by FU3
 Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:25 pm
FU got a kid who worked his butt off for 4 years and helped change the entire program. From all accounts he is an excellent student and fine young man who is making a decision like most people his age on the steps to attain his personal goals. He certainly doesn't "owe"Furman another year of his time.
fufanatic, Roundball, MNORM liked this
 #39258  by Paladin91
 Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:50 pm
Unfortunately, I read this as FU/CBR can't take him to the next level. I think watching Furman flounder a sure win against VMI was a a backbreaker for him...making the final basket to find it one point short. He will definitely get more attention at the power programs mentioned. Some say it's risky, but risky or not, he'll garner more attention at any of these programs - I imagine he's tired of disappointment when it comes to trying to win the SOCON tournament and make it the Big Dance. There are at least two paths at a top level school. Thus, there's little risk here - he's chasing his dream and I wish him all the best. His loss will certainly test CBR as a coach next year, assuming he sticks around.
 #39267  by FurmAlum
 Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:44 pm
I was afraid this would happen and I have mixed feelings. I'm no basketball expert but I do think NG is a Pro prospect, maybe even an NBA prospect. He's going to have to continue to develop and get better to do either one but I think he can.

I do not blame him if he thinks he can achieve his goals by going to another school, but I think he could have at Furman. There's been many pro players that came from small/mid majors, ie Larry Bird, Earl Monroe, John Stockton, and Karl Malone, just to name a few. And if my memory is correct all 4 of those are in the NBA Hall of Fame!

Just sayin. The grass may look greener but it is not always so. It will need to be the right situation and I think he needs to go where there is an opening at his position where he can play immediately. Transferring and then sitting on the bench would be a counter-productive.

VA Tech or Auburn might be good choices. Both coaches have seen him play against them. Vandy might be good, too. Don't know about whether they have openings where he could play. I doubt he would have been contacted by them if they didn't think he was good enough.

I hate it for Furman and CBR, but still will be rooting for Noah.
fufanatic liked this
 #39271  by fufanatic
 Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:25 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
fufanatic wrote:

Yikes. Insert old man yells at cloud gif here.
 #39277  by Furmanoid
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:09 am
fufanatic wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
fufanatic wrote:

Just saying he got a huge payoff for gracing us with his presence for 4 years. We got 3 pretty promising seasons. I guess that makes us even. I feel no obligation to support him further.

If he does well, that doesn’t make us look better. It makes us look worse. The story will be that he was languishing at lowly FU until U of X gave him a lifeline. And if he does well big schools will start thinking of us as a potential farm club and raid us.

But as I said, I’ll take it all back if it turns out the problem is a lack of grad programs. We offer Masters of teaching (MAT, which can be tacked on to most FU degrees to get a teaching license and open the door to coaching) and a MS in Chem which I doubt is very popular with athletes. That’s about it. Seems like the MAT would be popular but maybe not.

I watch too much NBA to see NG at that level. But there multiple leagues in Europe, Australia, China etc where he can likely play and make a better living than any of us.
 #39278  by PaladinPower
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:53 am
Furmanoid wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
fufanatic wrote:

Just saying he got a huge payoff for gracing us with his presence for 4 years. We got 3 pretty promising seasons. I guess that makes us even. I feel no obligation to support him further.

If he does well, that doesn’t make us look better. It makes us look worse. The story will be that he was languishing at lowly FU until U of X gave him a lifeline. And if he does well big schools will start thinking of us as a potential farm club and raid us.

But as I said, I’ll take it all back if it turns out the problem is a lack of grad programs. We offer Masters of teaching (MAT, which can be tacked on to most FU degrees to get a teaching license and open the door to coaching) and a MS in Chem which I doubt is very popular with athletes. That’s about it. Seems like the MAT would be popular but maybe not.

I watch too much NBA to see NG at that level. But there multiple leagues in Europe, Australia, China etc where he can likely play and make a better living than any of us.
Another day, another asinine comment from Furmanoid... You should root for him because he gave his all for 4 years at Furman and is part of the reason Furman is even on the map for basketball. Who is to say we are even competitive in games against Nova, Bama, Auburn, Loyola, etc. without him? Making what he feels is the best decision for HIM and his future. You act like he's leaving the entire program high and dry when in fact he's put the work in the past 4 years to be in this position to receive offers from P5 schools. When was the last time Furman had a player transfer up to a school? MaCio Teague transferred from UNCA to Baylor and led his team in points last night. Worth every bit of risk if you can play on a stage like that. You're just a bad fan.
Roundball liked this
 #39279  by bj93
With Mounce and Noah gone next year I see no way we will even get past the quarter finals of the Socon Tourney much less win the regular season. Oh wait.... :twisted:
 #39280  by Furmanoid
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:33 am
PaladinPower wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
fufanatic wrote:

Another day, another asinine comment from Furmanoid... You should root for him because he gave his all for 4 years at Furman and is part of the reason Furman is even on the map for basketball. Who is to say we are even competitive in games against Nova, Bama, Auburn, Loyola, etc. without him? Making what he feels is the best decision for HIM and his future. You act like he's leaving the entire program high and dry when in fact he's put the work in the past 4 years to be in this position to receive offers from P5 schools. When was the last time Furman had a player transfer up to a school? MaCio Teague transferred from UNCA to Baylor and led his team in points last night. Worth every bit of risk if you can play on a stage like that. You're just a bad fan.
I’M NOT HATING ON THIS GUY. I’m just not rooting for somebody to show that transferring from FU is the smart thing to do. This isn’t juco. The goal isn’t supposed to be helping people move up to the next level. The goal is to BE the top level. Isn’t that why we’re in DI? If we don’t care about that anymore, we could save a ton of money in DII.

And he knows he is crushing our chances for next year which I really do think is kinda shabby of him. Of course it may be that he’s thinking next year will be really bad even if he stays. I can kinda see leaving a sinking ship.
tim liked this
 #39281  by bj93
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:11 am
This was to me the most telling statement by Noah in that article about why he was leaving..." "I want an opportunity to play the way I want to. I want to go out there and hoop."
tim liked this
 #39283  by Roundball
 Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:50 am
My goodness. Furman Paladins basketball is NOT a sinking ship. If you think otherwise, turn in your season ticket package now. Open your seats up to folks that know the coaches and players will be ready for a run at the SoCon title. I cannot wait to attend the Roundball Club and again sit in my court side seats at every game. Go Paladins!