• The Sad Facts

#38903  by Furmanoid
 Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:49 pm
The conference is bad. I don’t understand how it can be blamed on Covid. Everybody should be better than ever because they’ve had so long to study, practice and improve. But it may be that football is just getting worse. HS teams in my area would be absolutely blown out by teams from 5-10 years ago. So maybe we just need to get used to watching bad teams and hoping that we will be less bad.
bj93 liked this
 #38911  by I-85 Paladin
 Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:43 pm
The drop off in the effectiveness of our offense is shocking. For starters the O line is getting bullied by everyone except WC. I definitely want to be fair to Hamp as he usually has little time to throw and no team is scared of our pass game if we can't run. I won't bellyache about Grainger. I thought he was more talented but we all remember his bad games looked a lot like Hamp's and why he lost the job exclusively in 2019.

We don't seem to run the option anymore or test the edge. I guess Hamp is a little light to be taking a bunch of hits on options and with all the penetration up front, outside runs will probably be stuffed too.
 #38912  by gofurman
 Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:53 pm
And the pattern.. We spend all week in preparation to come out looking like that each and every week? It seems every game the other coach is more prepared at the start(I am aware that the last two had a bye) of the game .. and then we do make adjustments at halftime which appear to work. But why can't we be ready from the start? No denying we have a pattern here

-now we have the bye week. I'll be interested in that
apaladin liked this
 #38915  by freebird
 Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:31 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:27 pm
tim wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:18 pm
Not sure what to say to folks that think UTC isn't good.
Not sure what to say to folks that think UTC is good.
You did see the scoreboard right? They were better than Furman today. Not sure what to say to you.
 #38918  by The Jackal
 Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:32 pm
I thought Hendrix in his post game interview was pretty honest. He said that they probably have installed too much on offense, which seems pretty apparent.

We are trying to do too much offensively and we are not doing any of it particularly well. Could be a result of coaches having 440+ days to tinker with things.

I'd expect to see scaled down playbooks going forward. We have talent. I'm not the least bit worried about that.
FUBeAR liked this
 #38924  by Paladin91
 Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:44 pm
fu77fan wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:24 pm
I agree that losing Grainger was huge. He was very athletic, and had a good arm. Regardless of whether he was the 1st or 2nd string, we needed him .
Grainger was a ton better than Sisson. If one couldn't see that, they need to see an optometrist.
 #38925  by The Jackal
 Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:04 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
fu77fan wrote:
I agree that losing Grainger was huge. He was very athletic, and had a good arm. Regardless of whether he was the 1st or 2nd string, we needed him .
Grainger was a ton better than Sisson. If one couldn't see that, they need to see an optometrist.
You might find it interesting that this spring Sisson has largely put up superior passing numbers to Grainger's 2019 season by nearly every metric. In 5 games, Sisson is pretty much already at Grainger's passing output in 13 games last season. The only area where Sisson really lags Grainger is turnovers.

Grainger completed fewer than 50% of his passes and roughly 94 yards a game and lost the starter's job. So, he wasn't exactly crushing it.

So, I don't think it is fair to say Grainger was "a ton" better. In fact, by most objective measurements, he's not. The coaching staff apparently thought he wasn't. We can quibble with whether the coaching staff is correct in that assessment.
 #38928  by Paladin91
 Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:31 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Paladin91 wrote:
fu77fan wrote:
You might find it interesting that this spring Sisson has largely put up superior passing numbers to Grainger's 2019 season by nearly every metric. In 5 games, Sisson is pretty much already at Grainger's passing output in 13 games last season. The only area where Sisson really lags Grainger is turnovers.

Grainger completed fewer than 50% of his passes and roughly 94 yards a game and lost the starter's job. So, he wasn't exactly crushing it.

So, I don't think it is fair to say Grainger was "a ton" better. In fact, by most objective measurements, he's not. The coaching staff apparently thought he wasn't. We can quibble with whether the coaching staff is correct in that assessment.
Oh Jackal, your analysis is laughable. I guess you forgot Grainger played against two FBS teams (GA State and VA Tech) in his first two games and did quite well against tougher competition. You forget Furman also had an OL that could at least run the ball a year ago...I'm sure Grainger would have been throwing the ball a lot more on 3rd and long situations. I suggest heading straight to the optometrist. :-)
 #38938  by gofurman
 Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:27 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:32 pm
I thought Hendrix in his post game interview was pretty honest. He said that they probably have installed too much on offense, which seems pretty apparent.

We are trying to do too much offensively and we are not doing any of it particularly well. Could be a result of coaches having 440+ days to tinker with things.

I'd expect to see scaled down playbooks going forward. We have talent. I'm not the least bit worried about that.
I hope you are right. I personally think we do too. Wynn as rb, Harris as ol, K Thomas as rb, Hope as lb, Harris as ol, Coleman as dl, Gilby as lb, Blackshear as cb and Kearse as cb all seem to play well and I am sure there are others. I want to think we have talent becasue otherwise we are in real trouble. If we have the talent it just means we need to make changes in how we utilize it. That said, the D (though UTC misses some wide azz open WRs) plays well. D often gets overlooked and those guys kept us in it !! well, that and UTC mistakes.

But the fact that UTC made all those mistakes (and it was A TON) and still won.. says how bad our O was. QUite simply better O / OL play would solve A LOT. Even just back to a few yds per carry or a little more time for Sisson.
 #38939  by purplehorse
 Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:46 am
We did some platooning with Grainger and Sisson as redshirt freshmen. Always good to have a good backup QB. No doubt in my mind that Grainger would have seen a lot of playing time this year. He was an agile runner and could turned a busted play into a gain. At a minimum he would have added variety and he was a dual threat. Hamp has had a few nice runs but my guess is he does not have the speed of Grainger. We have many more problems than just our OB or lack thereof.
 #38944  by tim
 Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:17 am
Roundball wrote:
tim wrote:
Well talk to the pollsters then, I fully expect UTC to crack the top ten soon.
 #38947  by Roundball
 Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:02 am
tim wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:17 am
Roundball wrote:
tim wrote:
Well talk to the pollsters then, I fully expect UTC to crack the top ten soon.
Probably 95% of the pollsters have not watched UTC play. They could be ranked #1 and it would not change the fact they are not a very good football team.
 #38950  by The Jackal
 Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:29 am
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:31 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Paladin91 wrote:
fu77fan wrote:

Oh Jackal, your analysis is laughable. I guess you forgot Grainger played against two FBS teams (GA State and VA Tech) in his first two games and did quite well against tougher competition. You forget Furman also had an OL that could at least run the ball a year ago...I'm sure Grainger would have been throwing the ball a lot more on 3rd and long situations. I suggest heading straight to the optometrist. :-)
You realize the offensive line is essentially the same guys, right? All the running backs are the same? Grainger even had one of the great WRs in Furman history to throw to.
 #38952  by Furmanoid
 Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:33 am
I suspect Grainger just decided to move up to FBS. Simple as that. Not the coaches’ fault.
Davemeister liked this
 #38953  by The Jackal
 Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:34 am
purplehorse wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:46 am
We did some platooning with Grainger and Sisson as redshirt freshmen. Always good to have a good backup QB. No doubt in my mind that Grainger would have seen a lot of playing time this year. He was an agile runner and could turned a busted play into a gain. At a minimum he would have added variety and he was a dual threat. Hamp has had a few nice runs but my guess is he does not have the speed of Grainger. We have many more problems than just our OB or lack thereof.

Look, Grainger wanted to go play for Georgia State. Wishing he was on this team isn't helpful. He was the starter, lost the job, and opted to transfer.