• Get on the phone with Stetson

#3874  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:45 am
Stetson vs. PC has now been officially cancelled

Stetson has an open date on Oct. 6 and is an FCS opponent, lets make this game happen!
FUBeAR, MNORM, FU69 liked this
 #3876  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:13 am
I think this would make a lot sense. They were budgeted for a similar trip to SC. The game would be a ‘counter’ from an at-large Playoff bid perspective.

They are also not ‘terrible,’ in the Davidson sense of the word. They are presently 2-0 and they beat an Ivy League Team last year. They also were competitive against Dartmouth last year, trailing only 10-7 at half. Dartmouth was 8-2, tied for 2nd in the IL, only a game behind Yale, who they lost to by 1 point. Stetson was also competitive with Butler last year, trailing 7-6 at half. Butler just beat the MVFC’s Youngstown State, who has recently beaten Samford & Wofford in the Playoffs.

Finally, they do have a recent Alum on an NFL roster http://www.nfl.com/player/donaldpayne/2559034/profile - the Jags backup MLB.

#TopTheHatters
 #3877  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:17 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:13 am
I think this would make a lot sense. They were budgeted for a similar trip to SC. The game would be a ‘counter’ from an at-large Playoff bid perspective.

They are also not ‘terrible,’ in the Davidson sense of the word. They are presently 2-0 and they beat an Ivy League Team last year. They also were competitive against Dartmouth last year, trailing only 10-7 at half. Dartmouth was 8-2, tied for 2nd in the IL, only a game behind Yale, who they lost to by 1 point. Stetson was also competitive with Butler last year, trailing 7-6 at half. Butler just beat the MVFC’s Youngstown State, who has recently beaten Samford & Wofford in the Playoffs.

Finally, they do have a recent Alum on an NFL roster http://www.nfl.com/player/donaldpayne/2559034/profile - the Jags backup MLB.

#TopTheHatters

Absolutely, great points!

We are a young team, best thing you can give a young team is more game experiences
FU69 liked this
 #3878  by Affirm
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:22 am
DungeonRealm and FUBeAR, I agree with you completely !! I hope the game you propose for Oct 6, Stetson at FU, can be made to happen.
FU69 and 1 others liked this
 #3879  by gofurman
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:41 am
What about UT-Martin ? Better comp than Stetson .. they are off 10/6 - anyone think that is a good idea???

But if Stetson is off 10/6 and COUNTS towards FCS I want it. Just don't want a D2 that doesn't count... though we have a looong way to go to think about playoffs

Either way, we should really try to play SOMEONE. Regardless how we do this year, every game helps our young team/offense learn. I will be disappointed if we don't play someone.. and hopefully at home. 4 home games would stink. Shouldn't be hard... Stetson, UT-Martin, maybe other FCS? Though I guess Stetson is easier to get at FU than UT-Martin who might ask that we come to Tennessee
 #3881  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:19 pm
gofurman wrote:
What about UT-Martin ? Better comp than Stetson .. they are off 10/6 - anyone think that is a good idea???

But if Stetson is off 10/6 and COUNTS towards FCS I want it. Just don't want a D2 that doesn't count... though we have a looong way to go to think about playoffs

Either way, we should really try to play SOMEONE. Regardless how we do this year, every game helps our young team/offense learn. I will be disappointed if we don't play someone.. and hopefully at home. 4 home games would stink. Shouldn't be hard... Stetson, UT-Martin, maybe other FCS? Though I guess Stetson is easier to get at FU than UT-Martin who might ask that we come to Tennessee
UT Martin already has 11 games

Stetson like Furman has only 10 games
FUBeAR, FU69 liked this
 #3882  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:20 pm
gofurman wrote:

UT-Martin has 11 games on their schedule & no anticipated cancellations. Needs to be an FCS Team with less than 11 games (except IL Teams, who only play 10 by agreement with their Conference) or an FBS Team with less than 12 AND an open date on 10/6.

An FCS Team with a cancelled away game AND an open date on 10/6 is the best fill-in for FU. Stetson fits that bill. I don’t know if ANY other FCS schools do.
gofurman and 1 others liked this
 #3883  by apaladin
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:25 pm
FUBear, you really stretching it about Stetson, LOL. They were 2-9 last year with a 3 point win over Brown(0-7 in the Ivy) and an 11 pint win over Davidson. Their 2 wins this year were Point and Waldorf. With that said it looks like they are the only option so I am all for it. Maybe we can score on them before the fourth quarter, LOL.
FU69 liked this
 #3885  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:34 pm
apaladin wrote:
FUBear, you really stretching it about Stetson
”stretching it” implies a high instance of questionable subjectivity and/or factual misrepresentation in my description.

Is there anything objective that I posted that is not 100% factual?

The only subjective component of my post was the comparison of Stetson to Davidson. They did beat Davidson by 2 scores last year, so I am comfortable with the veracity of that subjective commentary.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FU69 liked this
 #3886  by Affirm
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:40 pm
gofurman wrote:

No to UT M if Stetson will play us.
 #3887  by Affirm
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:42 pm
apaladin wrote:
FUBear, you really stretching it about Stetson, LOL. They were 2-9 last year with a 3 point win over Brown(0-7 in the Ivy) and an 11 pint win over Davidson. Their 2 wins this year were Point and Waldorf. With that said it looks like they are the only option so I am all for it. Maybe we can score on them before the fourth quarter, LOL.
Stetson would be a good opponent.
 #3888  by Affirm
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:43 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:34 pm
apaladin wrote:
FUBear, you really stretching it about Stetson
”stretching it” implies a high instance of subjectivity and/or factual misrepresentation in my description.

Is there anything objective that I posted that is not 100% factual?

The only subjective component of my post was the comparison of Stetson to Davidson. They did beat Davidson by 2 scores last year, so I am comfortable with the veracity of that subjective commentary.
Stetson would be a good opponent.
 #3889  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:51 pm
BTW - Stetson’s AD is very much a “baseball guy,” so maybe he and Mike Buddie already have a relationship and are putting this thing together as we type.
 #3890  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:42 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
BTW - Stetson’s AD is very much a “baseball guy,” so maybe he and Mike Buddie already have a relationship and are putting this thing together as we type.

We can only hope!
FU69 liked this
 #3891  by Affirm
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:52 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
I would be disappointed to learn that this is not being actively pursued even now.