• UTC - March 20

#38685  by Flagman
 Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:15 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:31 pm
Don’t think this has bern mentioned but the kicking game was much better against ETSU. Couple of kickoffs into the end zone, the first of the year and the 47 yard FG was encouraging,
I noticed that, also.
Choir Boy liked this
 #38687  by AstroDin
 Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:00 pm
Bleekrode is a really good punter… and I believe only one of Lepvreau's kickoffs was returnable.
 #38724  by FUBeAR
 Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:10 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:40 am
Mocs game notes. https://gomocs.com/documents/2021/3/16/ ... Furman.pdf

Ailym Ford not listed on the two deep. Notes that he has not played this spring due to injury. His backup, Price, is a veteran guy that is no slouch, though.

30 transfers.
Not a Chatt apologist, but I wouldn’t ‘sweat’ their number of transfers too much. They have some good ones, but they also ‘report’ anyone who attended another post-HS institution as a “transfer” (actually just show “Prior School” - here’s one example...

https://gomocs.com/sports/football/ros ... uandt/7119

18 are from FBS schools / 6 from P5

About 12 of 22 on O&D 2-deep are ‘true’ transfers though. I think 2 of those were from FCS
 #38726  by Dinster
 Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:59 am
Looks like no change to the ticket policy. Season ticket holders only. Are there any season tickets available for resale? Hoping to get to a game.....
 #38728  by Flagman
 Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:34 pm
Furman is a selling a 2-game package for UTC and Wofford for $50.00. Apparently, we are expanding our numbers.
AstroDin, dornb liked this
 #38729  by Roundball
 Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:16 pm
Flagman wrote:
Furman is a selling a 2-game package for UTC and Wofford for $50.00. Apparently, we are expanding our numbers.
Website still says only season ticket holders allowed in. I hope the announcement about the 2-game package will come soon.
 #38730  by FUBeAR
 Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:23 pm
Flagman wrote:
from Dwight Covington...

“Need tickets for the Chattanooga and Wofford games? We are selling 2 game packs for $50. Call me 864-607-5148”
Roundball liked this
 #38732  by Paul C
 Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:42 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:31 pm
I know we prognosticate, but raise your hand if after 4 games you predicted Furman's leading tackler would be Nick Kuzemka.
No kidding.....color me surprised, but I love it when a walk on shows up and outperforms.
AstroDin, FUBeAR liked this
 #38733  by FUBeAR
 Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:34 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:42 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:31 pm
I know we prognosticate, but raise your hand if after 4 games you predicted Furman's leading tackler would be Nick Kuzemka.
No kidding.....color me surprised, but I love it when a walk on shows up and outperforms.
Yep - successful walk-on’s, to me, are kind of a 2 sided litmus test for FCS Programs...

If you have some (DeLuca was a walk-on too, right?), then it says a lot of positive things about your school and your program (not to mention how much (more) it says about the individual kid who is a successful walk-on - tough thing to do...very tough). You are attracting winners (without even really trying...so to speak), developing them AND allowing them to develop (those are 2 very different components), and they become success stories/role models for attracting other (future successful) walk-on’s.

The other side of that test is you have to ask yourself, “What does it say about our recruiting?” Kind of do a deep-dive / root-cause analysis. If you just got lucky, nay, let’s say, fortunate, via an unusual set of circumstances - OK, no worries. We good.

But if, at the same time, you invested a lot of money in attracting kids (scholarships, recruiting $’s) who aren’t as good as a walk-on, you have to look at your recruiting criteria and your evaluation process in those areas (position areas) to see what MIGHT be broken, and fix it...if anything is. Having successful walk-on’s does not automatically indicate ‘recruiting failure’ by any means, just that it’s worth analyzing / considering making some changes/improvements in your overall process.
FurmAlum liked this
 #38734  by FUPlayer74
 Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:04 pm
I'm not sure I'd spend a lot of time analyzing the recruiting process when a walk on produces. There just aren't that many who do. And I can't say how many times I've heard a coach say about a recruit that " we really don't know what we have til we see em in the pads".
I'm certainly impressed with DeLuca and Kuzemka, and glad we have them. It makes me of the Renfro kid who walked on at Clemson. But we made it a no brainer for them since we offered Renfro!
 #38735  by Rokawaylifer
 Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:05 pm
Thanks bear. I was hoping to catch Samford game on drive down from jersey but didn’t work. Driving back up from Naples, Fl, tomorrow. Stopping in milledgeville, ga, to check on the peacocks. Any restaurant recommendations? Then on to Hendersonville, nc, after detouring at greens to pick up some cheap old fofo. I’d really love to catch a game and will be calling Dwight. Thanks again for the tip.
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:23 pm
Flagman wrote:
from Dwight Covington...

“Need tickets for the Chattanooga and Wofford games? We are selling 2 game packs for $50. Call me 864-607-5148”
AstroDin liked this