• Furman v ETSU highlights

#38695  by Paul C
 Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:31 pm

BTW was that roughing the passer call on 4th (6:02 on the vid) as bad a it appears? I’m no rules expert but at that point, out of the pocket, isn’t the ball carrier treated as a runner?
 #38696  by FurmAlum
 Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:23 pm
Paul C wrote:

BTW was that roughing the passer call on 4th (6:02 on the vid) as bad a it appears? I’m no rules expert but at that point, out of the pocket, isn’t the ball carrier treated as a runner?
No question he is out of the pocket. No question he is a runner. No question that was not roughing the passer. Somebody ought to send that tape to the SoCon office. How could a college ref miss that call?
 #38697  by The Jackal
 Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:43 pm
This is old man of me, but ETSU having a bunch of different colored undershirts bugged me. White, gray, blue, tucked, untucked. Just doesn't look put together.

Furman's players uniforms all had the same purple undershirt as best I can tell. All looked like a uniform.
DeepPurple liked this
 #38698  by FurmAlum
 Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:50 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:43 pm
This is old man of me, but ETSU having a bunch of different colored undershirts bugged me. White, gray, blue, tucked, untucked. Just doesn't look put together.

Furman's players uniforms all had the same purple undershirt as best I can tell. All looked like a uniform.
Me too. That's the difference between us and Transfer U.
 #38699  by The Jackal
 Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:54 pm
Also, it's been a while since I can remember a Furman running back physically abusing a defense like Devin Wynn did Saturday.

Like, he gets to the end of every run and just picks out a guy and says "you."
AstroDin liked this
 #38700  by FUBeAR
 Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:29 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:23 pm
Paul C wrote:

No question he is out of the pocket. No question he is a runner. No question that was not roughing the passer. Somebody ought to send that tape to the SoCon office. How could a college ref miss that call?
Doesn’t matter that he’s out of the pocket. Doesn’t matter that he’s a Running Back. Doesn’t matter that he was running with the ball before he threw it.

He became a “Passer” when he legally threw the ball forward.

Passer
ARTICLE 5. The passer is the player who throws a forward pass. He is a passer from the time he releases the ball until the pass is complete, incomplete or intercepted, or until he moves to participate in the play.

Roughing the Passer
ARTICLE 9. a. No defensive player shall unneccessarily rough a passer, when it is obvious the ball has been thrown.

The FU Player obviously hit the ETSU “Passer” and he obviously hit him in the midsection.So, no issue with the point of contact. Contact to the head area or lower legs have special rules.

So...the ONLY judgement the Official had to make is whether or not “it is obvious the ball has been thrown” when the FU Player hit the ETSU Player.

My initial view of the play was that it was not obvious, but after watching a couple of times, the FU Player gathers and ‘launches’ at the ETSU Player. His ‘gathering/launching’ was bang/bang with the release of the pass, but I think the ‘launch’ influenced the Official to judge that the contact could have been avoided, i.e., “unnecessary.”

Coulda gone either way. It is a judgement call. In this case, I think the SoCon Official, unusually, got it right.

And...please no one ever tell a SoCon Official that FUBeAR agreed with one of their calls.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #38701  by apaladin
 Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:49 pm
Don’t think it was roughing as the passer was still in the air when contact was made and it was below the belt. The 2 QB sneaks were just bad calls, even our formation told we were QB sneaking. Literally there were 24 players between the tackles. Speaking of which I thought all SoCon teams were required to have instant replay? Why didn’t ETSU?
 #38704  by FUBeAR
 Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:46 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:49 pm
Don’t think it was roughing as the passer was still in the air when contact was made and it was below the belt.
Doesn’t matter if he was still in the air (and, in fact, he wasn’t...both of the Passer’s feet were on the turf when contact was made - please don’t make me post another ScreenCap)

Because the point of contact was the ETSU Player’s midsection, and was made with the FU Player’s shoulder, all that matters is...

1) Was the ETSU Player, by rule, a “Passer?” - Obviously, he was. That is not really debatable.

So...really, really...all that matters is...

2) Was the hit on the (protected by rule) “Passer” by the FU Player “unnecessary? (because the ball had obviously been thrown - see 2nd ScreenCap - ball is gone & the FU Player is about 2 yards from the Passer)

Another way to consider “unnecessary” is “avoidable.” The Ref felt it was avoidable. FUBeAR (who loves “echo of the whistle” hits - I’da prolly hit him too) has to look at it, objectively, and say, “Yeah, as much as I liked the hit on the frappin’ banana-suited MountainPirate, and hate the outcome of the penalty, that hit was probably avoidable.”

The only valid opposing argument is, “I judge that the hit by the FU Player on the ETSU Passer was not avoidable.” - OK, your opinion - Rock on brother!
 #38708  by The Jackal
 Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:46 am
I give him a little bit of a pass considering the "passer" was a running back rolling to his right. Watching the play a few times, Chizik is already loading up for a tackle when the ball is released and the passer's momentum carries him into the hit.

It's a judgment call.
 #38710  by FUBeAR
 Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:28 am
The Jackal wrote:
I give him a little bit of a pass considering the "passer" was a running back rolling to his right. Watching the play a few times, Chizik is already loading up for a tackle when the ball is released and the passer's momentum carries him into the hit.

It's a judgment call.
Exactly...Big “pass” for FU Player - the guys you win with are the guys who are in search of contact / delivering blows. As the greatest OL Coach in the whole United world is famous for saying (among many other things)... “Be wrong going full speed!”

Exactly - judgement call. IMO, this SoCon Official, offering affirmative evidence advancing the blind squirrel theory, judged this one, by the rules of the game, correctly.
 #38715  by AstroDin
 Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:33 am
Still amazed how Cally Chizik always seems to be around the ball.
And, at 5-9, 176 is a physical tackler, Cally has already made numerous open field tackles this season.
FUBeAR, Davemeister liked this
 #38717  by Paul C
 Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:15 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

It's a judgment call.
Exactly...Big “pass” for FU Player - the guys you win with are the guys who are in search of contact / delivering blows. As the greatest OL Coach in the whole United world is famous for saying (among many other things)... “Be wrong going full speed!”

Exactly - judgement call. IMO, this SoCon Official, offering affirmative evidence advancing the blind squirrel theory, judged this one, by the rules of the game, correctly.
Thanks. Appreciate the clarification. Once again you demonstrate your intelligence and objectivity. 20 years ago you'd have been a great news anchor......
FUBeAR liked this
 #38719  by FurmAlum
 Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:24 pm
O.K. I don't know where I got the idea that if he was out of the pocket there was no roughing the passer. Maybe I confused it with no intentional grounding when out of the pocket. My bad. Whoever suggested they send the tape to the Socon can be reprimanded.

Still thinking thru purple glasses that it shouldn't have been called.
FUBeAR liked this
 #38722  by gofurman
 Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:45 pm
Paul C wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:15 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

It's a judgment call.

Thanks. Appreciate the clarification. Once again you demonstrate your intelligence and objectivity. 20 years ago you'd have been a great news anchor......
FUBeAR - thank you for the clarification here. While I am an ardent fan I do want to understand the rules.. and, as much as it pains me, I see the point you make here. Good to learn that a runner / outside the pocket is of no bearing (and I get the outside the pocket as just bc a QB is outside the pocket on the roll you can't hit him later than normal).