• ONLY 5 AT LARGE BIDS NOT 6

#38683  by apaladin
 Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:56 pm
Thought I remembered that another league had been granted an auto bid. Back in September the MEAC which normally plays in the Celebration Bowl was granted an auto bid for the spring season. I think most writers etc missed it or forgot about it. Most are saying 6 at large but it is just 5. Makes it a little tougher for non auto bid teams.
 #38688  by FUBeAR
 Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:45 pm
This article from the NCAA was published after the MEAC cancelled their season...

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/art ... -will-work

...so, 99.99% sure Delaware State, Howard, nor SC State is in line for an Auto-Bid. They do have the req’d minimum of 4 scheduled to receive an At-Large Bid though. Hard to see that happening...but...
 #38692  by Roundball
 Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:22 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:56 pm
Thought I remembered that another league had been granted an auto bid. Back in September the MEAC which normally plays in the Celebration Bowl was granted an auto bid for the spring season. I think most writers etc missed it or forgot about it. Most are saying 6 at large but it is just 5. Makes it a little tougher for non auto bid teams.
We discussed this on the ETSU thread on Saturday. I thought it was 10 auto-bid's and 6 at large bids. Where do you see it's 11 and 5? Even the latest Bracketology I posted has 10 auto and 6 at large. https://herosports.com/fcs-football-bra ... ions-bzbz/

From that article.

Auto-Bids
Big Sky – Weber St.
Big South – Kennesaw St.
CAA – JMU
MVFC – UND
NEC – Duquesne
OVC – Jacksonville St.
Patriot – Holy Cross
Pioneer – San Diego
SoCon – Chattanooga
Southland – SHSU

At-Large Bids (Ranked from most likely to least likely to get in)
11. SDSU
12. Delaware
13. UC Davis
14. VMI
15. SLU
16. SIU
 #38694  by fupaladin01
 Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:04 pm
AP, I think you might be thinking of the ASUN/WAC partnership (AQ7) that agreed to “team up” to earn an autobid since neither new FCS conference would have enough teams to qualify for an AQ. After re-reading the articles, I believe that is effective for Fall 21. MEAC I believe had the autobid until cancelling the spring season unexpectedly.
 #38705  by apaladin
 Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:03 am
fupaladin01 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:04 pm
AP, I think you might be thinking of the ASUN/WAC partnership (AQ7) that agreed to “team up” to earn an autobid since neither new FCS conference would have enough teams to qualify for an AQ. After re-reading the articles, I believe that is effective for Fall 21. MEAC I believe had the autobid until cancelling the spring season unexpectedly.
Prolly right, only 3 teams are playing in the MEAC so surely they won’t give them a bid.
 #39744  by Roundball
 Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:52 pm
Looks like the MEAC will not qualify for the playoffs after all. That puts us back to 10 auto-bids and 6 at-large bids.

#39762  by apaladin
 Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:54 pm
Doesn’t concern us but good to see the MEAC will not take a bid from a deserving team. How stupid is the NCAA?