• UTC - March 20

#38624  by FUBeAR
 Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:14 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:32 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:18 am
FU offense will need to wake up before halftime.
Are you sayin' we need a "Woke" Offense?
Kind of an oxymoron (jumbo shrimp), isn’t it?

Can’t be Woke AND be Offensive (to anyone)

So...FUBeAR votes “No” - we need an Offensive Offense, a HIGHLY Offensive one, not a Woke one.
 #38625  by purplehorse
 Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:53 pm
Isn’t UTC the new “Transfer University” in the Southern Conf with about 30 transfers?
 #38627  by The Jackal
 Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:56 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:53 pm
Isn’t UTC the new “Transfer University” in the Southern Conf with about 30 transfers?
That's definitely been a roster strategy for the Mocs.

From my time observing FCS football, I think that if you go the route of loading up transfers, it's hard to get out of that cycle. That just becomes essentially part of your recruiting strategy.

I think the better strategy is to build home grown guys and if you have a clear need at a certain position, go find a kid that fits.
Flagman, AstroDin, dornb liked this
 #38629  by Flagman
 Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:07 pm
On his show today, Clay said he counted 30+ transfers on their roster.
 #38651  by gofurman
 Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:25 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:23 am
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:33 am
I'll quote Jackal > "I'm expecting a team that resembles a bit the ETSU team we just saw - gritty defensively with some athletes on offense, but not necessarily a four-quarter barrage."

Furman is proving to be a physically-dominate fourth-quarter team.

I think Devin Wynn is just starting to shine. We're in the middle of the season, teams are starting to get bumps and bruises, and Wynn is getting stronger. Wynn only had 17 touches Saturday but he ended up with 152 total yards and two touchdowns. Clay mentioned post-game they should have gotten Wynn the ball more times.

The scary thing about Wynn is his ability to break tackles at the line and at the second level. Could this be the game when Wynn busts some of his long runs? Maybe?

I understand Furman has a lot of backs it wants to rotate in and tries to distribute touches, but I'm not exactly sure why we don't just start feeding the ball to Devin Wynn.
This. TV guys said same thing. I think CH did too in retrospect at post game maybe
 #38653  by AstroDin
 Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:29 pm
I'd love to know Furman's defensive 4th quarter stats

Did a little digging Furman has given up two field goals in the fourth quarter through four games.
Opponents offensive production in the fourth quarter:
Western 57 yards
VMI 24 yards
Samford 32 yards plus 23 in OT
ETSU 24 yards
Last edited by AstroDin on Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hypercycloid liked this
 #38654  by gofurman
 Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:34 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:12 am
Nunnelly won’t be playing for the Mocs any longer...

...and CIT’s Eubanks was injured early against Chatt & did not play against WCU. He is the heart & soul of their D. Also preseason SoCon DPOY. They are thin with him and really, really, really thin without him. A bit surprising Chatt. wasn’t able to exploit his absence a bit more - as WCU was - oh, wait, I forgot...nothing but a scrimmage for the Mocs. Not really trying to win. Just working on getting game reps for young Players and also get some situational work in. Probably, intentionally put their own O into bad down/distance situations just to see how they would respond.
Thanks for info FUBeAR. that’s key stuff . Do you know of others like Ford?

Personally it scares me to put down an opponent “-they barely beat citadel “ - as that was my thought of VMI. Anyone can win vs anyone. Any road win is at least decent.

I am SCARED of chatt.
 #38656  by AstroDin
 Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:46 pm
^^^ I can't quite remember the Clay quote verbatim on his show today. But he made a comment about Chatty playing two teams that run a lot and don't have a passing attack - said we're (Furman) a bit different. Wofford had 51 passing yards and the CItadel had a whopping 27 passing yards.

I'd say Furman will be the most balanced team CHatty has faced this season.
gofurman, DoomedDin1127 liked this
 #38659  by gofurman
 Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:50 pm
I need Davemeister to ask me if I’m scared.

Huge game - win now and I see an off week and then two teams we ‘SHOULD’ beat and then a time to get Woff. Lose and it’s no postseason
 #38660  by FurmAlum
 Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:57 pm
If I was a betting man, and sometimes I am, I would bet that:

1. If we have any kind of decent field position FU will throw some on the early downs.
2. FU will run some plays that neither we nor Chatty has seen before.
3. Chatty will get a heavy dose of D. Wynn with the ball both running and passing.
4. The defense will be in Chatty's faces most of the afternoon.

My fingers are crossed, but I am optimistic.
AstroDin liked this
 #38666  by AstroDin
 Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:21 am
I guess Chattanooga is getting a lot of cred for beating Wofford thus their ranking. The Mocs have played two games so far and as many of you have said I'm not sure how good Chattanooga is this spring? The more you dig into games played stats - they're a solid (I guess) average team. The Mocs offensive production skews passing.

UTC offense against Wofford > rushing 78 / passing 223
UTC offense against the Citadel > rushing 104 / passing 222

Wofford fumbled giving the Mocs the ball on the 3-yard line, The Citadel had 9 penalties for 122 yards. Just saying Chatty opponents shot themselves in the foot and still had a chance to win the game late.

I do think GoFu is right Furman needs to test the Mocs coverage skills. MIller had the Bucs attention, I think that played a role in Wynn being forgotten in coverage a few times. Furman is twitch-ready for some big explosion plays. DeLuca will get his yards, we now seem to want to get Miller the ball in space several plays a game, Wynn was the leading receiver last Saturday.

Is this the game where we see the wheels on Bell, Anderson, and Thomas? We've seen them get some burst plays this season - I'm talking ripping off a 50 yard plus play.
 #38669  by DeepPurple
 Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:11 am
I may be dead wrong, but I believe we will play our best game this Saturday. Our defense is playing lights out and gives us a chance. Our offense is coming. We will be a strong team when we put a 4 quarter game together.
FUBeAR, tim, FUKA61 and 4 others liked this
 #38674  by FUpaladin08
 Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:29 pm
^^^correct.

There’s nothing so insightful said here the coaches and players don’t already know. If I’m wrong, the team is in big trouble. Offense needs to be better in the first half and the defense needs to keep up the good work.
 #38681  by apaladin
 Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:31 pm
Don’t think this has bern mentioned but the kicking game was much better against ETSU. Couple of kickoffs into the end zone, the first of the year and the 47 yard FG was encouraging,
Flagman, Paladin82, DoomedDin1127 and 1 others liked this