• CONGRATS TO UNCG!! GOING DANCING!

#38201  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:00 pm
They just beat ETSU in the championship game a day early. Both teams played well snd hard but Miller was the difference. With FU and WC both gone both teams played like they knew they were playing for the title. Monday nights game will just be a formality. I feel a little better about the FU game now. Chances of beating them in a winner take all game probably was not good. UNCG had the best record and will get the best seed so I guess that is some consolation.
 #38202  by Sad Din
 Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:37 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:00 pm
They just beat ETSU in the championship game a day early. Both teams played well snd hard but Miller was the difference. With FU and WC both gone both teams played like they knew they were playing for the title. Monday nights game will just be a formality. I feel a little better about the FU game now. Chances of beating them in a winner take all game probably was not good. UNCG had the best record and will get the best seed so I guess that is some consolation.
U r probably right but hope not.

At this point rooting for VMI. Would make a great story for SoCon. What were they picked to be? Last in SoCon?
 #38222  by purplehorse
 Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:30 am
Miller is largely why UNCG aid good. Will be interesting to see if he decides to come back for his 5th year.

I hope UNCG wins it all as they would be the best representative and I do not want a Cinderella Mercer team to win it.

Interesting we were 3-1 against the two finalists.
apaladin liked this
 #38226  by Affirm
 Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:22 am
purplehorse wrote:
Miller is largely why UNCG aid good. Will be interesting to see if he decides to come back for his 5th year.

I hope UNCG wins it all as they would be the best representative and I do not want a Cinderella Mercer team to win it.

Very good if we were 3-1 against the 2 finalists. Is that correct?
 #38243  by apaladin
 Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:31 am
affirm wrote:
purplehorse wrote:

Yes that is correct. 2-0 against Mercer. 1-1 against uncg. Last night Stephes for VMI scored 9 points, 0-6 from 3. Against us he had 25 points and was 4-6 from 3. As a team VMI shot 50 percent against FU and 39% from 3. Last night they shot 40% and 16% from 3. Still it was no ones fault but FU's. VMI erased a 10 point lead in 3 minutes without fouling. If you give one team 10 points and play 3 minutes and the other team is not allowed to foul the team with the 10 points wins 99.99% of the time. it was an unbelievable meltdown. It has to go down as Furman's all-time worst loss.
 #38252  by MidlandsPaladin
 Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:41 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:31 am
affirm wrote:
purplehorse wrote:

Yes that is correct. 2-0 against Mercer. 1-1 against uncg. Last night Stephes for VMI scored 9 points, 0-6 from 3. Against us he had 25 points and was 4-6 from 3. As a team VMI shot 50 percent against FU and 39% from 3. Last night they shot 40% and 16% from 3. Still it was no ones fault but FU's. VMI erased a 10 point lead in 3 minutes without fouling. If you give one team 10 points and play 3 minutes and the other team is not allowed to foul the team with the 10 points wins 99.99% of the time. it was an unbelievable meltdown. It has to go down as Furman's all-time worst loss.
Maybe worst choke, but far from worst loss. The Jeff Jackson era has many candidates for that honor.
FU69 liked this
 #38255  by apaladin
 Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:29 pm
Jeff Jackson had loss after loss. They were common. This was the worst because of the way we lost and because of what was on the line. Very well could have cost us our first trip to the tournament in 40+ years.
Roundball, dornb, FU69 liked this
 #38256  by FUBeAR
 Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:34 pm
Ross Cummings gets off the schneid, hits 8 3’s and the Bears upset the Spraytans tonight by 1 on a buzzer-beater by Ayers.

Bet your bank of dogecoin on that scenario playing out EXACTLY as written...so let it be done.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #38258  by apaladin
 Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:01 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:34 pm
Ross Cummings gets off the snide, hits 8 3’s and the Bears upset the Spraytans tonight by 1 on a buzzer-beater by Ayers.

Bet your bank of dogecoin on that scenario playing out EXACTLY as written...so let it be done.
I would feel much better if uncg plays lights out and blows Mercer out. Then I can say well they would have prolly beat us too. Prolly. :?
 #38288  by apaladin
 Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:28 pm
Currently Lunardi had uncg as a #13 seed playing Oklahoma St. which would be a tough draw IMHO. Think OSU is just too athletic for them. Would much rather see them play an ACC or Big 10 team. As usual I’m sure the SoCon rep will get screwed.
FU69 liked this
 #38289  by gofurman
 Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:42 pm
apaladin wrote:
Currently Lunardi had uncg as a #13 seed playing Oklahoma St. which would be a tough draw IMHO. Think OSU is just too athletic for them. Would much rather see them play an ACC or Big 10 team. As usual I’m sure the SoCon rep will get screwed.
While the bama refs made sure we lost.. and I don’t say that kind of thing much - Woff was this close to Sweet 16 and the nation is watching the tourney. They USUALLY call the tourney fair enough for the “mid-major”. UMBC, Valpo etc. I’ll be pulling for UNC-G to represent the SoCon well
furpop16 liked this
 #38296  by Affirm
 Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:39 am
gofurman wrote:
apaladin wrote:
While the bama refs made sure we lost.. and I don’t say that kind of thing much - Woff was this close to Sweet 16 and the nation is watching the tourney. They USUALLY call the tourney fair enough for the “mid-major”. UMBC, Valpo etc. I’ll be pulling for UNC-G to represent the SoCon well
Please excuse my asking:
what do you mean
“Woff was this close to Sweet 16 and the nation is watching the tourney.”?
Explain please.
Briefly - when, what, who, where, why, how?
 #38297  by Affirm
 Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:50 am
I just looked up Mike Young ACC COY.
17 HC years at WC
299-244
5 (FIVE) seasons made NCAA tourney.
I very much hope BR will have this level of success at Furman in the next 12+ years before he leaves.
And Young served as an assistant at WC for about 14 years before becoming HC.
We need for BR to stick around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
... I found partial answer to my previous question abt WC. In 2019 season, they were 30-5 and 18-0, got to NCAA tourney round of 32. But I still want to know what happened with the officiating in that final game they lost preventing them from getting to Sweet 16.
 #38299  by gofurman
 Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:04 am
affirm wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:39 am
gofurman wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Please excuse my asking:
what do you mean
“Woff was this close to Sweet 16 and the nation is watching the tourney.”?
Explain please.
Briefly - when, what, who, where, why, how?
The Wofford reference is to 2019 -

https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/03/23/ ... und-of-32/

they beat someone in first round and scared the shiite out of UK in second round... thus being "this close" to sweet 16. Just a recent SoCon reference... I didn't mean they were robbed.

----

"The nation is watching" just means it would cause much more of a national stir if a team was to be robbed repeatedly in the big dance with bad ref calls as some feel we were at Bama... Heck, the tourney loves upsets - madness as it is said! From UMBC (16) over UVA (1) to to Mercer over Duke.. Weber State over UNC (1999), Coppin State over South Carolina (1997)... there is not much protection of the 'favorite'.

Many more people are watching the tourney than were our singular game at Bama - ESPN would have a field day if there were numerous calls in an NCAA tournamt game like the ones in FU vs Bama

And yes, Mike Young from Wofford just won ACC COACH OF THE YEAR for what he is doing at VTech.. with two Wofford players in his rotation !!

As a matter of fact, as I watch the ACC - one of the Wofford transfers has truly excelled at the ACC level:

2020-21 ALL-ACC TEAM
FIRST TEAM
Name, School, Points
Moses Wright, Georgia Tech, 344
Justin Champagnie, Pitt, 343
Carlik Jones, Louisville, 327
Matthew Hurt, Duke, 310
Sam Hauser, Virginia, 281

SECOND TEAM
Name, School, Points
Keve Aluma, Virginia Tech, 277 came from Wofford.. good grief
Jose Alvarado, Georgia Tech, 244
Jay Huff, Virginia, 214
M.J. Walker, Florida State, 200
Aamir Simms, Clemson, 176
Affirm liked this
 #38312  by apaladin
 Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:30 pm
Speaking of WC their 2 seniors, Murphy and Hollowell have entered the transfer portal. Just heard on the Clempson station that they thought FU would win the SoCon and it was a shame that they will not be in the tourney. Yes it is.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.