• Game cancelled

#3814  by fufanatic
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:13 pm
Strictly talking football, this is an important quote. There will probably be a lot of options if we choose to go that route. Probably a home game, but potentially another FBS money game.

The Furman-Colgate football game will not be made up, according to Furman director of athletics Mike Buddie, who said, "We will be looking at options to find an opponent for our open week (Oct. 6)."
 #3815  by raleigh fan
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:15 pm
So far the only nearby FCS school I've found is Stetson assuming PC follows suit and cancels Stetson's game up there Sat. Would think we need a home game since we only have 4 now.
 #3817  by Flagman
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:18 pm
Completely understand, but doesn’t alleviate my disappointment.
QCGlue liked this
 #3818  by fufanatic
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:19 pm
My guess is you're right. Only 4 home games in a year would be awful and I'm sure that's the route they'll look to take. Especially needing wins to potentially make the playoffs. A game against Stetson would be better than only having 10.

But, I wonder how hard it would be to turn down one of those ACC schools or UCF if they happened to have the same bye week after cancelling this week?
 #3820  by fufanatic
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:28 pm
As is Southern Miss from the games cancelled already.
 #3821  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:41 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:19 pm
My guess is you're right. Only 4 home games in a year would be awful and I'm sure that's the route they'll look to take. Especially needing wins to potentially make the playoffs. A game against Stetson would be better than only having 10.

But, I wonder how hard it would be to turn down one of those ACC schools or UCF if they happened to have the same bye week after cancelling this week?
Well, if you schedule another FBS school you are all but punting on the playoffs. That would effectively require Furman to run the table in the SoCon to make the postseason.

I don't have any issue with a team like Stetson. Honestly, Furman routinely has the toughest schedule in the league, so I'm ok with playing a nonscholarship team. Just don't make a habit of it.

With the ACC schools, it may depend on a lot of things. UVA already played Richmond this year. Is it likely they want to play another FCS school? Do they want to shell out another $500k (or whatever the amount is)?
 #3822  by raleigh fan
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:54 pm
Most likely would be UNC since both Duke and UVA are playing this weekend...at Baylor and vs Ohio in Nashville respectively...UNC is probably close to our level anyway.
 #3823  by gofurman
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:09 pm
As Flag is saying - From A FOOTBALL perspective this stinks !!! Hope everyone stays safe. But from our teams perspective this was a chance to learn and possibly get a Top 25 win (probable if you ask me). Any top 25 wins from here on out - Samford, Woff - will be MUCH MUCH harder.

Also, you hate to sit on a loss like that for 2 weeks. Hate that.

But I understand.. some players have families in the coastal areas I am sure... etc. Better to be safe
 #3824  by AstroDin
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:15 pm
My guess is travel for Colgate is a big issue here too, canceling the game is a no-brainer. We might not like it as fans but I've got a feeling we're in for a mess.
gman, QCGlue liked this
 #3827  by fufanatic
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:28 pm
fupaladin01 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:24 pm
Coastal Carolina appears to be free that week... Is there a chance with the Chants?
They are playing as we speak (or type) at Campbell, so unless they've had another game cancelled, they already have a full schedule.